Replacement belts

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Replacement belts

Post by Guest »

Hey Guys:

I know that someone out there knows if there are any of the engine belts for a '68 1600 sold at regular auto parts. I might -for now at least- leave the alternator where it is (manifold side) until I can do the proper hardware changes needed to switch it to where the air pump is, so I will need belt(s) to move the water pump and the alt in the original place..........are there replacements at Napa, PepBoys or any of those?
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Replacement Belts

Post by S Allen »

Jorge,

You should be able to take the old belt to just about any autoparts store and they should be able to match it up for you. If you do not have the old belt take a length of string to run around the pullleys, mark it and measure the total length. That will get you in the ballpark. I have had to try several sizes to get one that fit just right. Pick an autoparts store close by so you do not have to go too far in case you have to make several trips.--or buy several of varying lengths close to what you need and take the ones back you did not need.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by Guest »

It makes perfect sense Steve! Once again, I thank you very much for always being so willing to help me out!

Jorge
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

belts

Post by SLOroadster »

Jorge,
If you have removed the smog stuff and moved the alternator, your belt will be a different size. I'd give you the size of mine, but I can't see any markings on it. :roll: I am almost positive that you will need a different size one.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

Would the '68 with the alternator on the passenger side of the engine use the same belt as a 67.5 R16? If it would, then try a Gates #8371 (probably discontinued by now anyway). At least that's what I wrote in my owner's manual "back in the day".
Bucky
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

This is what Kragen has listed for your car.

Drive-Rite: #15395DR
Dayco: #15395
Drive-Rite: #39515

Don't know for sure, but it's a start.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
impinhigh
Certified Roadster Nut

belt/conversion

Post by impinhigh »

I'm doing the conversion this weekend per the method outline on "Oilleaks" website. The page show a U20 motor but the smog pump mounting items are the same. Here' what he list as belt info:

"I've been using a NAPA Premium XL belt with part number 25-09783. The part number is a couple of years old but I'm sure it can be cross referenced if it isn't current. This belt is has the right V and adequate length."

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/Alte ... cation.htm

I'm sure I'll have more to say on this subject on Monday!
Matt