question on engine swap

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

blackduck

question on engine swap

Post by blackduck »

ok I'm putting a ca18et (older 200sx motor) in my roadster
I know there is gonna be a lot of custom fabrication in the engine bay. rerout ehaust/turbo, new engine mounts, ect
I'm wondering about the trans.
Ive seen on a couple different websites people have notched the frame for the tranny mount.
I guessing I'm gonna have to do this to.
my question is, do I need to take the body off to do this?
I know I have a little room under there. and I have a plasma cutter
so I dont need as much room as I would if I used a grinding wheel.
I was just looking for an opinion from someone who has done engine swaps before.

thanks
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Here's a tip, from what I seen on the web. I have noticed that the most susccesfull swap have been done with the body off the frame. Where they body is positioned directly above the frame on a makeshift frame (out of 2X4s) for allignment. Some have even made to hoist the body up and down.

With body off the frame it will give a lot of access to the where you need to do some cutting and welding.

If you happen to to be some sort of Yoga master with a lot of freinds with a lot of free time... disreagard. :)
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
blackduck

Post by blackduck »

yeah I've seen a few people do that.
cool idea!
I'm just worried cause if I did that then I would look at the frame
and think. "what a rusty mess!" then I'd have to sand blast and paint. I kinda want to get it doen before summer.
but having the body off might save me time and greif in the long run.
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

For what it's worth, I made all the necessary modifications to the tranny tunnel and X member for my SR20DET install with the body on the car. I used a plasma cutter. It was a bit of an exercise in contortionism but I did it. You can see the extent of the modifications under the engine swap section as done by Travis. They are not trivial, but they are possible with the body on. I'm not familiar with the engine and trans you are putting in but I'd guess the work will be about the same.

My suggestion: By all means, try it with the body on first. If it works, great! 8) If you get stuck and have to pull the body off, so be it.
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
blackduck

Post by blackduck »

yeah I think I'll try it with the body on first.
thanks for the advise!
TR

Post by TR »

Hey Fellow Swaps,

I'd have to say the way to do it is with the body off...After getting all the bolts off, it really was easy to seperate the two...It also provides better access to any exhaust mods you may be planning...

It took a lot of willpower, but I resisted getting the frame painted...I told myself I would get another frame and try to make a cleaner install sometime in the future...

As for the advice about getting stuck in the mods...Since I'm a bit lanky, I was afraid I would get stuck in the tunnel and someone would have to bring the jaws of life...

Good Luck-Let us all know how it turns out! TR

Post by Guest »

yeah I saw your very detialed how to, (great job on that!)
in the engine swap section. that was what kinda
made me think about taking the body off.
I'm going to try it with it on at first, then if need be, I'll take it off.
I'm taking a lot of pics too.
I may have some other questions for you during my process.
is it ok if I pm you once in a while?

thanks jay
blackduck

Post by blackduck »

that last post was me

blackduck
(jay)
TR

Post by TR »

Not a problem...TR