POR-15

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

carnut

POR-15

Post by carnut »

I need some advice. I am stripping the paint off my early '67, removing the engine and having clutch replaced. With the engine out I'm having the car painted. Prior to paint job I would like to remove body from frame for inspection and clean-up. I wanted to put a product like POR-15 on the frame, fenders and underside of body. How much would I need for 2 coats? Do I top coat it? Anyone with experience with this or similar products please advise.
Thanks in advance.
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:POR-15

Post by S Allen »

Great stuff but do not get it on your skin. You will be wearing it for quite awhile. I think it comes in 4 oz, pints, quarts and gallons. I recommend buying the 4 ounce cans in six paks. It is hard to reseal the can once you open it. With the 4 oz cans there is no problem and you only open what you can use. A six pak contains 6 4 ounce cans which will cover around 72 S.F. That is 12 SF per can. I would figure a six pak for the frame, one for the under body and I would do the interior floor of the body as well plus the engine compartment. I am guestimating that three six paks would probably be close. One coat of Por will do the trick. If the parts will be exposed to ultraviolet light a top coat is recommended. You could top coat it anyway if you like. Eastwood Co. sells a real nice chasiss black in spray cans, quarts and gallons.

Steve
Last edited by S Allen on Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Sloloco

Post by Sloloco »

I was planning on doing the same but not so much. Is it hard to seperate the frame from body :?:
TR

Post by TR »

The frame and body come apart very easily. I built a very simple lift setup that served me well for multiple removals while test fitting my engine swap.

I have the lumber and hoists here at the house if you are interested...There is a general image in the write up in the engine swap section...TR

Post by Guest »

Thanks much TR, your all over this stuff! How's the house hunt going?
TR

Post by TR »

I learned the "hard" way, started loosening bolts and pulling and...Actually the whole conversion was pretty easy and I learned a lot about the roadsters after I already thought I knew it all!

House hunt has been rough, no bites on this place yet...TR
carnut

POR-15

Post by carnut »

Thanks to all:
I have ordered the POR-15 and black chassis coat. It has been about 18 years since the last paint removal/frame removal/clean-up (last one was a 1500 I eventually gave up on). Thanks to this website and the knowledge everyone shares, and patience that comes with age, I hope to have this project completed by next spring.
Rick Grumbrecht
early '67 1600
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

I don't why anyone else has thought of it, but...

Is there a reason why anyone has not thought of lining the interior with truckbed liner paint to stop corrosion from the elements?

I can only think of weight...
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!