where to find shock parts ?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bespa

where to find shock parts ?

Post by bespa »

Simple question here: The rubber donut, the round metal plate,
what do you call those? They are at the top of the shocks and
two nuts secure it. I went to Kragen, and they don't have it.
Is it called a grommet, bushing? And will a generic part do?

Thanks Minh for helping me out. We lifted the car up and voila! those parts were gone, except one nut still hanging on. I guess
this wasn't serious because I still drove the car home.

Grant Line is a nice drive. Oh, and Minh, I left my car outside,
top opened last night, heard it rained pretty heavy. Boy, what's
the chance of that. Have to get have to see...
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Shock Parts

Post by S Allen »

I have an old frame I will be stripping-just not any time soon. I would be willing to give you the missing washer and used rubber grommet. The nuts should be a standard thread. You might be better off pulling a shock and going to the local Orchard Hardware & Supply where you could fit up the correct nuts. You need one standard nut and a jamb nut to lock the standard one in place. What kind of shape are the shock in? You might just want to purchase new shocks that would come with the missing pieces.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
bespa

I live by Orchard Supply..

Post by bespa »

Thank you Steve, this weekend that's what I'll be doing.
Looking for the right nut. I will go with the less futile way first,
if shocks proved blown, will replace with KYB's. Maybe I'll go
to Les Schawb, so I can get some warranty...

Bespa
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Tell me about the rain.... :roll:

Man that tonneau cover helped but I took drastic measure. I went to Mike Kerr's today and picked up that Snugtop Hardtop this evening. I was planning to get it after th car was running, but I really rather avoid any water/rust damage.

Water can still get into the Roadster even if you have the top up. For keeping the water out my hardtop has actual seals (with a sunroof) compared to the ragtop .

If the car a little leaks, Congratulations!!! You own a real Roadster. It don't matter who manufactured it.

I have some spare parts from my old shocks, but low and behold it is in the trunk of the Roadster. I don't and neverhad the key it. I had it proped open with a floor mat. But I shut it and forgot I had no key! Sorry, man.

The sad thing is my alternator, fan, and few other parts are in the trunk. Looks like I gotta pick the lock now.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Locked Trunk & No Key

Post by S Allen »

Minh,

Unless you are really good at picking locks there is one other way to approach this. Get a 1/4" drill bit and drill a hole as close to the back panel as you can get right under the lock. Out of sight and out of mind. With a bit of difficulty you can fish a wire up through the hole with a hook on the end of it. You can snag the lock latch from the bottom pulling down on the wire and releasing the latch. I have this as a permanent setup in one of my cars. It really blows when you lock your only set of keys in the trunk. Someone did just that at Solvang a few years back. :oops: No, it was not me. I have seen several cars with destroyed trunk lock because of this as well. Any how, it works for me.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

That is a shame to see that many busted irreplaceable locks...

Picking a lock on a car is not different picking one house.

The tumblers are all on one side. You need a small fulcrum that is turning the lock's piston while gently raking across the tumblers with the pick untill they all fall in and voila! Please don't ask how I learned this stuff. :roll:

I just don't have the rake an fulcrum anymore

I have AAA. They will send a locksmith out to my location to pick the lock inr these kind of circumstances. They will even make you a new key if the key breaks inside the whole if neccessary. It is part of the road side assistance package. You get one a year.

Tell all the guys about this 1 time a year feature that should come with a roadside assistance package to avoid the drilling the locks!
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Hey, no need to drill! This problem has been solved by another creative measure. Check this link:

http://www.datsunroadsters.com/trunklock.html?

Thanks to Mark Dent for the tip!

Oh, and once you get the trunk open, take the lock out - it has a U shaped clip holding it in. On the side is the lock number. An established locksmith can cut you a new key for a few bucks. Get two or three made in case you lose one.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Breaking into the trunk...

Post by SLOroadster »

I have locked my keys in the trunk in the past. The quick and easy solution is to pull the right side licence plate screw and use a piece of wire (coathanger, bailing wire, bicycle spoke ect) and fish around for the trunk release. You want to pull on it (very little spring tension on it) and it will pop open. No drilling required.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!