200sx lsd conversion??

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

TR

Post by TR »

Don't forget that you will have to move the leaf spring inward and make some clearance in the fender for a tire that size...If I remember correctly, my car has a bit less than 9" from fender to leaf spring...That means the tire would not be able to have any sidewall extension passed the rim...

I have been looking into a subaru rear end also...It looks like for about $400, a complete rear end of a wrx sti can be had from a front end totalled vehicle. The width is 58.5, so a lot! of work has to be done, but it may be a fun project for next winter...TR
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Not sure if we need a new post now (like LSD swap), but here it continues...

Hey the 1st physical criteria for a swap. Is that the solid rear axel would "preferably" have to clear the leaf springs. I'm not exact but it's about at least 42 inches.

Is the length from hub to hub with the drums on 47.24?
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
Marky510
Roadster Nut

Post by Marky510 »

I'll re-ask this 'cause I don't think it was really answered...is there a year/model of the early 200sx that has a factory installed LSD? Or is an LSD an add-on?
Secondly, if the 200sx has an H190 diff, what is exact problem with dropping that into the Roadster housing? I know it's the larger side gears, but is it because of the the splines to the Roadster axles? Just needing clarification on this.
Mark
1970 Stroked 1600
Still waiting for cylinder head.

1966 Ford Cortina MK1 Wagon

1968 Volvo 124 Wagon -- For Sale

1963 Datsun WPL312 Wagon
blackduck

Post by blackduck »

so
oilleak was saying that the 3rd member off a 200sx will bolt right in to the roadster housing? but I would have to have some new axles made to fit?
I just happen to have an H-190 posi with the 411s
sweet action!
I may have to do that sometime down the line!

I almost sold that thing for 30 bucks too!
oilleak

Post by oilleak »

Yeah - as long as it's an H-190 it'll bolt into the roadster axle housing. The diff carrier bearing caps serve to locate the diff at the back of the axle housing so some of those may need to be changed out with those from a roadster (that would be easy), also some of the non-aluminum 3rd members like those used in the pickups have a longer pinion gear that may require shortening of the driveshaft although I think there's enough slip in the slip yoke to avoid a problem with those, just need to check that it doesn't bind at full rear suspension compression. I don't think it's an issue with any of the 200sx diffs. By the way, it's the S110 200SX from the early 80's that has the H-190 (I don't know if the limited slip was ever offered as an option but NISMO did sell them). They use 30mm x 29 tooth side gears while roadster axle shafts are 24mm x 23 teeth. Probably easier to have someone modify truck or 200sx axles than to find and convert roadster side gears but if you look around enough, you might find some LSD guts from old broken roadster diffs in dusty old boxes in some racers basement.