1 step forward, 3 backwards

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

funkaholik
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: 1 step forward, 3 backwards

Post by funkaholik »

Good advice from Curtis. If you're almost there, you should lift the body up enough to be able to at least check the tops of the frame rails for severe rust. From those pictures, it is a definite possibility. If it looks structurally sound, you can put on some rust converter, replace the pads, and lower the body back on for now without getting deep into the time and expense of a full body-off resto. Ask me how I know...

Here is what I used to replace the frame pads:
https://www.amazon.com/XCEL-Marine-Clos ... ods&sr=1-3

There is a "map" in the tech wiki of pad locations and sizes.
http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... .FramePads
Erik Miller
Concord, CA
1970 Datsun SPL311-29945, owned since '95. Back on the road in 2022!
1967 Mustang, 428, 5 speed
1981 VW Rabbit Truck, 1.6 turbo diesel
...Oh, and a daily driver.
viewtopic.php?t=19067
josemariagervacio
Roadster Newby
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by josemariagervacio »

Not sure if this is the correct way to post an update(if it’s not let me know where I do lol)

It’s been a while since I posted, about her but, we have been making good slow progress. I’ll post some pictures. I found a few problem areas, but not where I thought I would😂

We have the engine/tranny out, interior gutted, all bright work removed, and are working our way though sanding the body down and labeling and assessing the wiring harness.
The worst of our rust has shown up in the drivers side front fender behind the tire. But I know the passenger side will be worse. I have two bolts that have become one with the car and are holding us up from removing the second fender.

Once we finish sanding we will put the doors back on, put a support across the cab and remove the body. We are still going with frame off resto so we can treat and protect the frame, replace pads, and have better access for cleaner welds on the new floors!

Thanks in advance for any input!
81F6F812-42A3-4CA5-8DCA-F1AB891BCBCB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What have I gotten myself into…

Josemaria
1967 1600 @pre.z.1600
1969 Chevy Nova
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Rotten fender, the usual. Ross Mullen and maybe someone else has/had patch panels.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
josemariagervacio
Roadster Newby

Curtis wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:10 pm Rotten fender, the usual. Ross Mullen and maybe someone else has/had patch panels.
Thank! I’ll take a look there!

Josemaria
1967 1600 @pre.z.1600
1969 Chevy Nova
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ya, that's a rough area because you have captured nuts on the body that bolt the fender on, and once those are gone you have to create or repair that "half a football" shaped part AND have some way of bolting the fender on there again. As a young person with NO body work experience, let alone welding etc, I had to fabricate a replacement and stick weld it to the car... Truly not pretty, but it's never failed me in all these years and it doesn't show. If someone makes that football part with the captured nuts I'd buy it, and see if you can locate a decent pair of fenders (easier to fix than to weld on new panels, at least for me).

Also, be aware there are places on the car that have lead filler, namely the hood where the scoop attaches at the front, and the seam that connects the forward most corners of the trunk opening. They put lead there and I dug it out... a mistake as bondo does not work as well and can flex crack. Be aware, don't breath that stuff in, and avoid digging it out as it kinda looks like filler (I didn't know better).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

They make them but not cheap. Depends on what your time is worth.

Not sure if Ross made them.

https://www.hrc-dat.com.au/apps/webstor ... ry/1589274
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Florida Roadster
Site Supporter

Post by Florida Roadster »

Jose, you made the right decision(s) on restoring this car. At this point you are halfway there so do the best frame off restoration you are capable of and take pride in your work. If you are doing it yourself everything doesn't have to be perfect. Just do the best you can. It seems you are doing a great job of "figuring things out" as you go and the more you work on the car the easier it will get. You have the cool back story with your wife's grandfather and it will no doubt turn out awesome!

Also, Riv Nuts might work for the bolts on the bottom of the rear fenders. Just depends on how much "meat" is left in the steel.
-Jeff-
1967.5 SPL311 Datsun Roadster 1600/2000 (Full Restoration Project)
1970 Triumph GT6+ (Full Restoration Project. Waiting up on the shelf.)
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Wow! A nearly rust free roadster! be careful as you weld patch panels in. Argon gas can be addictive! As I posted before don't be shy about asking specific questions, and I am glad to see that you are pulling the body off. I sure wish that I had. Slogging through the welding and grinding can get tedious so take a side trip here and there to rebuild an assembly.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
josemariagervacio
Roadster Newby

FINALLY got the driver fender off. Had to result to violence since every trick in the book failed!

However, we were already expecting the end of that rocker to be bad since the bolts fell out, but the rest looked really good.

Looks like we found evidence of a previous accident.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Josemaria
1967 1600 @pre.z.1600
1969 Chevy Nova
less frustrated
Site Supporter

Post by less frustrated »

You have gotten yourself into a love-hate relationship. The thing is, once done and you are driving it, your smile will be that much bigger.
Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Steve_69 »

Well said Less Frustrated. Said another way, the greater the struggle the greater the reward, but I like your description better!