Block options, pleez

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

70MTroadster

aftermarket turbocharging, SU's

Post by 70MTroadster »

Hi folks,

For lots of been there, done that, turbocharging info on Datsun engines, go to http://home.att.net/~jason510/. Jason Gray's site covers a wealth of topics for the 510 that can also be applied to the Roadster.

He shows that using one SU delivered plenty of fuel in a draw through installation.

And AMEN TR on your engineering comment regarding turbos.....the factory has WAY more equipment and expertise concerning them than most any of us will ever have access to.

Scott
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Plasmaboy... I was thinking the same thing. I got to further details form Mike later. You raised a good point, so puts me a position that now I am not entirely sold on the use of a single SU carb. I have to find out if the induction is suitable with the single SU.

TR... The carb is post turbo.

They way it looks, the turbo replaces the dualies by wear it is positioned. It is very linear in design.

The nearest thing on Ebay that resembles the turbo in appearances to Mike Kerr's is the Toyota CT26 turbo. I not recommending the CT26 yet because I don't know if it is suitable or ideal.

I am boning up on turbocharging literature right now. School never ends don't ya know! :D My buddies knows a lot, but I want to be entirely dependant on his experience.

The turbo air turbine is to the facing "front" of car. The air exits out it's side directly towards the head's intake.

The turbo's exhaust turbine is towards the back of the car infront the master cylinders. From the head, the exaust enters back and "underneath" the turbo. Exhaust exits the "back" of turbo and faces the back of the car. The exahust exits out a 2 pipe that goes through the fender wall. It goes down and then under the frame to reconnect back to its original exhaust pipe connection flange.

There is nothing inbetween the turbo and head except a newly made intake and exhaust manifold to and from the turbo and head. A new Exhaust manifold from the turbo to the pipe needs to fashioned as well. (My buddies got a lathe at his house,.. yippee!!!)

The single carb is attached to turbo ait intake situated towards the front above the alternator near the water resevoir. A single mushroom filter is attached to the SU.

I hoping to find out how intercool this thing the way it is set up. Water injection is nice, but is not suitabe for a long period of time.

I keep you all posted. I think I will start a new post for all those interested.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
Plasmaboy

Su / turbo

Post by Plasmaboy »

Hi again minh .. SU's work well on turbo setups .. but you MUST put it upstream of the turbo .. they wont work in a " blow through " set up like webers / dellortos If you are able to get a 2 - 2 1/2 inch SU .. that should be plenty for a 2lt engine + turbo .. As for intercooling a draw through turbo .. your pretty limited to a water spray into the turbo . If you try to use an intercooler .. the fuel in the compressed fuel / air mixture tends to stick to the massive surface area of the intercooler and you end up with a big puddle of petrol in the bottom as well as VERY poor fuel air mixtures entering the engine . That can cause your engine to go BANG ! very quickly with a turbo setup . I have seen an engine with the conrods forced through the side of a cast iron block , the crank shaft snapped in half and the alloy head had looked like it was attacked with an oxy acetylene torch because of fuel leanout .
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Plasmaboy...

What did you did you do to lower compression? Shave the pistons or by lower compression pistons?

On a side note... Hey all you R16 owners!!! I found this little tid bit in my literature...

It has a picture of a turboed Datsun "SP311". Here is the caption:

"Rajay 370B60 turbo in Datsun 1600 sedan has 1.5-inch-venturi SU carburetor. Produces 120 HP at 6500 RPM with 20 psi boost. Boost starts at 2000 RPM. Car turns standing 1/4 mile in 14.5 seconds ET and 105 MPH. Head-gasket problems were cured with a special gasket. Installation by Turbochargers, Inc."

Let me know if you want me to email you a picture of it. :)
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
Plasmaboy

Decompression

Post by Plasmaboy »

Hi Minh .. I had a 3mm thick copper head gasket made up .. it was only twice the cost of a standard gasket and unless you damage it , it can be re used . Here in Australia .. Standard gasket = $130 copper = $240
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Hey Plasmaboy,

What is the SC's pulley diameter you're running with?

What is the elevation to sea level of where you are living down under?

Thanks...
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
Plasmaboy

info

Post by Plasmaboy »

Hi again .. I live in Sydney .. pretty close to sea level . The highest I could get in Oz in the road is probably only about 1200 - 1400 meters . As for pulley ratios .. sorry I can't / won't give out that info as there are many factors that determine the boost pressure .. engine size / mods / cam etc and as the air flow is fixed dependant on pully ratio .. you cant fudge it as you can in a turbo where within reason .. the waste gate can adjust pressures for a poor matching turbo . I am happy to take the risk of my engine going BANG .. but not anyone elses :)
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Plasmaboy,

From your experience with the motor what you guess to be a adequate boost with an unmodified U20, intercooled, standard sized copper gasket, B-Cam, and dual 45mm setup?

3 boost?

I plan to run it under normal settings with the clutch mainly off and the clutch-on for occasional use like Mad Max's Camaro for relatively short runs.

I might have to go with electronic fuel regulator to switch between boosted and aspirated settings when the SC clutch is on on or off.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
Plasmaboy

boost

Post by Plasmaboy »

Minh .. with a " standard " U20 .. I wouldent even think of adding a compressor .. static compression is so high .. and the cam has a pretty good overlap you could only perhaps ad a few PSI .. and for the minimum increase .. it would be a waste of time / money .. a hotter cam and engine work would give better results and your insurance company wouldent freak out as much not having the " turbo / Supercharged " mods
Tycorcr1

Post by Tycorcr1 »

Hey Minh,, The car in Mad Max was an australian Falcon, made by Ford for the australian market only. It's a cross of the 70 Torino and 71 Mustang.
Just had to correct you on it before everyone goes out and thinks Chevy could build a car as cool as that :wink:

Lates, Keith

Friends don't let friends drive chevies, Datsuns are acceptable tho.
Plasmaboy

Post by Plasmaboy »

Minh .. just another thought .. if you wanted to use the clutch .. sadly you dont have enough clearance between the pully and the chassis cross member to get a pully big enough to make boost , also if you want to use the on / off option you need to construct by-pass plumbing / valves etc so when the supercharger is off , the engine can still suck in aur .. if the engine had to draw ais through a stopped blower .. it would be like us having to breath through a drinking straw after running an 800 meter race :(
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

800 meter race? If I tried to do that, breathing wouldn't be a problem...I'd have died way before the finish! :shock:
Bucky