Re: Solex Carbs

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

millertime

Re: Solex Carbs

Post by millertime »

Quick question regarding purchashing carbs.
I see a number of 44 Mikuni's come up for sale on E-bay if they say PHH Model (regardless of the manifold or linkage set up) Can I purchase these then just get the correct manifold and linkage for my U20. or am i better off waiting for someones complete set up.
Also once i do get the solex's I need to buy the A or B cam?

Thx
Dman
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

Many of the Carbs you see as Mikuni Solex Carbs on ebay are not the correct carbs for a Datsun Roadster and may not fit a Datsun Manifold, I would definitely suggest getting everything in a package.

A good person to talk to about the Solex Carbs, is Dan Garrison he rebuilds them and is located in Portland, Oregon. his Phone # (503) 281-8313. Dan was at Shasta this year with many samples of his rebuilds and can guide you in the right direction.

Lou Smaldino
66-1600
67-2000
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

All of the Mikuni-Solex PHH carbs, Dellorto DHLA, Weber DCOE, Weber DCOM, and the German and Italian PHH Solex carbs have the same footprint. They should all bolt onto the manifold. The manifolds are out there, so you could buy a manifold and carbs and assemble them. That is not the big problem. The linkage is. The interlock linkage for the 2000 type carbs is very difficult to come by. You are better off buying a Roadster setup - will get all that you need in one shot and the jets should be close to being right as well....

Just my not so humble opinion...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

If the jets are not right...

Weber and Dellorto jets are interchangeble.

The Mikuni jets are interchangbale with the Solex carbs.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Solexs

Post by SLOroadster »

The Mikuni Solex 44PHH is the correct carb, however finding the correct set up is tough. Intakes are hard to find, and the linkage is even harder. It took me a year to find a set of linkages that are correct. The flip side is that sometimes people use a centerpull linkage on 510s, and I have seen this setup on ebay. You just have to look VERY carefully. The jets are also important, but they are easily found. I made the mistake of driving from San Luis Obispo to Mt Shasta jetted way to rich and it made a real mess. I washed out the piston rings as well. Luckily someone had jets up there and I got them swapped out before I really killed my rings. If you buy a set, you will want the B cam as well. An A cam will work, but won't be as fun.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

There are two different widths of center pull linkages. One set needs mods to work (welding on a longer tab - simple, but needs to be done) while the other is a bolt on. There are two styles of the correct type.

As far as the cam, it depends on what other mods you have done. Ask Brian how the A cam versus B cam with solex carbs works as he has experienced both...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
oilleak

Carbs/cam

Post by oilleak »

The A cam with the solex's works pretty well. that's whats on Woody's car now. I'd go with the 34mm chokes if I was running the A cam, not the 37's. I like my b cam with 37's though. Around the Autocross there's not as much difference as I would have expected. Maybe in the hands of a more skilled driver but in average hands like mine and Woody's, we were turning almost the same times. I'm going to try the 34mm chokes with the B cam soon and see if that makes any differance.
Be aware that non-Mikuni (i.e. real Solex's) may be totally different than the Mikuni's even if they are labled 44phh. solex made several different variants that carry that label but are very different from the Mikuni's that we use.