headlights relay wires

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: headlights relay wires

Post by fj20spl311 »

Lorna c wrote:looks to me that S goes to coil only . and B runs to the copper arm when I line up wire to post connection on first one ie: S on my picture ..
That is correct.

Its no problem to install a modern relay.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Here is the WIKI link on how to replace with a modern relay.

Headlamp relay WIKI
 ! Message from: fj20spl311

68 relay is stated in the text to have 6 terminals, which is incorrect.
Last edited by fj20spl311 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Thank you !!
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

now I thought these early /late whatever ,60s roadsters only came in silver and blue here to the states at first I read somewhere ? why is there a nice red under the stock blue ? unless there's another blue under the red maybe huh .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Lorna c wrote:now I thought these early /late whatever ,60s roadsters only came in silver and blue here to the states at first I read somewhere ? why is there a nice red under the stock blue ? unless there's another blue under the red maybe huh .
Should have stated a new thread for this question, IIRC replacement parts had red oxide finish. With it being this old, could have had a bare metal repaint.
Phil
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Wiki should be corrected for 68 relay , not sure on 69, but I know 70 is different.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote:I assume you used the electronic spray inside the wire terminals. I also sprayed inside the box.
Checking your fuse box for corrosion is a good idea too, corrosion can hide on the underside, and rivets, prongs can be loose.
These basic cleaning steps have been helpful to me. You may have to trace each wire though if this does not work.
Plus you have to connect the wires correctly, of course.
Linda
that's the second time I heard electronic spray. I'm going to have to get some . I've just used carb or break cleaner . I've spent a small fortune on that and fuel filters .(before I cleaned my tank ) but if it's cheaper anyway . the others tank off paint off my wires too . saved many mistakes cleaning those off . haha I was sure it was black with white . turns out to be red with black or something . haha I only did that once and learned to clean those off good ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

fj20spl311 wrote:
Lorna c wrote:now I thought these early /late whatever ,60s roadsters only came in silver and blue here to the states at first I read somewhere ? why is there a nice red under the stock blue ? unless there's another blue under the red maybe huh .
Should have stated a new thread for this question, IIRC replacement parts had red oxide finish. With it being this old, could have had a bare metal repaint.
I'll remember that more often . I thought it was maybe good to not use up the space of threads or some reasoning like that in my thinking ,in the past . I'm learning how this is set up and understand more now .. thanks for showing me example of it . pls let me know in future also . I don't get hurt easy . unless it's that time of the month ..hahah kidding . ok well things r holding going to run volt test tomorrow to make sure things aren't high still .

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Its just easier to find/search if every subject has its own thread....Many people i.e. Me may not read the last posts in a thread as they often taper into .....LOL
Phil
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I'm getting it .. I'm getting it .. I hope . haha last thing I want to do is mess things up on here . anyway any heads-up as I go along is appreciated ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oh and I know it's all a guessing game but my relay seems to be holding with my little solder job . besides the little wire that runs to the two prongs what else can go wrong with the relay ? is that it and just keep clean ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

And . the BM and SB switching . I keep switching them to see what's up and I can't seem to see a difference if they are or not . is that normal or ..... I did that test and they behave the exact same on the ohm reader .. ok I think that all on the relay I have ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

[quote="Lorna c"]And . the BM and SB switching . I keep switching them to see what's up and I can't seem to see a difference if they are or not . is that normal or ..... I did that test and they behave the exact same on the ohm reader .. ok I think that all on the relay I have ..[/quote oops typo .. the BM and MB no shoot now I'm lost again ... the black /with red tape and the red with yellow wires ..

itsa68
Roadsteraholic

Post by itsa68 »

On my 68 1600 the wiring is on the relay terminals as follows:

1: black with red band
2: red with yellow stripe
3: red with white stripe
4: red with black stripe

Disconnect the battery and also check the fuse box for loose rivets on the end of fuse holders for the light circuit.

Cheers
Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

shopping.jpg
CRC electronic spray at OReilley's etc is great for getting dirt and corrosion off contacts. I think the underside of the headlight relay could use more cleaning, I looked at your pic again. A little Dremel brush works great.
Linda
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.