how much HP from a stroker?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

roadstermike
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

how much HP from a stroker?

Post by roadstermike »

I am planning on setting up a r16 stroker or my 67.5. I plan on using a u20 crank with std pistons and 40mm mikunis. What type of HP can I expect from this set up? Is there anything else I can do or should do to acheive more HP? I want a daily/weekend driver with good spirit.

Thanks.
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

stroker power

Post by SLOroadster »

You could run 44s instead of 40s, a good cam could help, as well as lots of head work. A light weight flywheel will be a huge plus as well. If you run a good set of headers (the CDM ceramic coated ones are SWEET. They keep underhood temps down as well) and a well thought out exhaust, it should be good for a little more power. A MSD 6 AL ignition is also a good thing. My car starts first try with no choke almost every time. (If its been sitting for a while it needs a little choke, but will start every time.) The 6Al setup also has a revlimiter built into it so you won't blow up your engine with a missed shift. Also, have everything balanced. It will run smoother, especially if you have a lightweight flywheel.

just my $.02
Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Re: how much HP from a stroker?

Post by Minh »

roadstermike wrote:I am planning on setting up a r16 stroker or my 67.5. I plan on using a u20 crank with std pistons and 40mm mikunis. What type of HP can I expect from this set up? Is there anything else I can do or should do to acheive more HP? I want a daily/weekend driver with good spirit.

Thanks.
Basically what Will said is affordably correct. Steve can also give you an idea of how much HP that will put out.

Another question you wan tto ask yourself... how much time and money you got? :?

A second is question how un-reliable do you really to be? 8)

You can also get some NGK quad fire sparks plugs I don't know the number for a R16, but just bring in an old plug and the guys at the local auto store can size it up.

There is always NOS... :twisted:

Plasmaboy has successfully added a supercharger to his. My guess is you won't be using a Mikuni for that... :twisted:

I did some research (I considered the option myself), and you can go you http://www.cbperformance.com/ and cutsom adapt the VW's EFI and/or turbo setups for your Roadster. :twisted:

Either Plasmaboy or Mike Kerr at Roadster Restoration in Placerville can give you a suggestoin on what a boost pressures to use. To much boost and you know.. :( Mike's daily driver 2000 uses a Turbo.

I was gung-ho about the EFI Turbo adaption unitl I saw the price tag. Now the only thing I would consider if I had the money to adapt would be the EFI and begone with carburators. :P

If you want to go with an EFI setup the option even get more bizarre in the aftermarket place. :shock:

Will is also in the midst of manufacturing oil adaptors plate that will allow us to install an exernal oil cooler to help maintain that crazy HP heat.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:How much HP from a stroker

Post by S Allen »

I have never had mine run on a dyno. I came close once but the guy never showed up. A U20 with SU's puts out 135 HP. I am sure that my stroker puts out at least 130 HP. We will not know for sure until I can get mine on a dyno and get the true figures. I do not know enough about the Mikuni's but do know the SU's. And I like them alot. Dollars equals speed whether you are building a street motor or an all out race motor.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Oil cooler adapter

Post by SLOroadster »

I'm not sure if I will do the oil cooler idea or not, I don't wan't to get anyones hopes up too high just yet.
Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!