Hardtop Project

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68, bmccarthy67

FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Hardtop Project

Post by FergO2k »

Much more inherent stiffness in a hardtop than soft top, so 2 clips will be fine, it doesn't want to become (aka: can't become) a parachute like a soft-top.
I have seen several hardtops running with only the side clips bound up nice and firm, no front clips at all.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
Alvin
Roadster Enthusiast Donor

Post by Alvin »

onsight512 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:14 pm Since there's been so much talk about different hardtops in this thread, I'm going to ask this here.

Does anyone know if a Smoothline hardtop, for a high windshield car, only has two attachment points to the windshield? I have one local to me that's for sale. It fits on the car, but there are only two "j-bolts" on either side of the top. I know the car normally has one in the middle also.
I don't think the Smoothline hardtops come with any OEM mounting hardware. I would contact Shannon "sfdaugherty" as he has personal experience with these tops:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p242092

That being said, a high windshield top has three windshield attachment points, and I would use all three, not two.
The "j" bolts are for the side mounts, where normally the soft top frame would mount.

Pics from jhayden's high windshield:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2013 Prius V wagon
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
RussellC
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by RussellC »

I think there is a bit of confusion regarding the smoothline hard tops.
The one I own is a new smoothline top not yet painted for installation. I can confirm that it comes with the J hooks for the sides as well as the same type of J hook for the left front and right front receivers on the high windshield. Shannon let me know that he modified his smoothline, as seen in Alvin's pictures, to use the OEM hardware by welding them on. I would like to do the same but don't have the skills required ;)
Russell

Got her running, now need to do everything else...
1968 1600 "Custom" driver/project car
2018 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Alvin
Roadster Enthusiast Donor

Post by Alvin »

RussellC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:11 pm I think there is a bit of confusion regarding the smoothline hard tops.
The one I own is a new smoothline top not yet painted for installation. I can confirm that it comes with the J hooks for the sides as well as the same type of J hook for the left front and right front receivers on the high windshield. Shannon let me know that he modified his smoothline, as seen in Alvin's pictures, to use the OEM hardware by welding them on. I would like to do the same but don't have the skills required ;)
Yeah, count me in as confused. Maybe there should be a separate thread dedicated to Smoothline tops. To clarify, if you have a Smoothline top, you don't have to use OEM top latches to mate with the windshield receivers?
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2013 Prius V wagon
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Bigtaku
Monthly Subscriber-Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Bigtaku »

It would be nice if we had a separate thread for each type of top. They are all so different.
Michael Montez