Want ads

Moderators: garth, notoptoy, S Allen

68DSU
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: wildfire burned roadsters

Post by 68DSU »

Back to the car, I guess it would depend, of course, on how bad the damage was. Intense heat can melt or warp some metals but if it was a quick burn it may have left quite a bit. Best case might be replacing the interior, the cables and lines, and all the rubber. A lot of work but not impossible. The engine is designed to handle a bit of heat. My personal advice would be to put that decision off for a bit, recover your life as much as you can, and see how you feel then. My thoughts are with you.

You can spot the aliens among us. They drive MGs.
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50
dseifert71
Forum Newb
Model: 2000

Post by dseifert71 »

I picked up a 69 2000 that survived the Camp fire. It was covered with a plastic tarp that melted across some of the panels. The plastic peels right off. The paint is blistered in several areas and the laminate on the windshield bubbled up and the glass cracked. Also, some of the weatherstripping melted. Aside from that, there is no appreciable damage and the car runs. Some of the wires in the engine bay do look a bit baked and hardened, but maybe that is because they are 50 years old. I'm not sure. I was really surprised how the car tolerated the fire/heat. Note, the car was not in a garage. It was outside in the grass and avoided the intense structure fire.
Fingers crossed you have something salvageable.
eye
Roadster Fanatic

Post by eye »

I hate to hear that anybody has to go through the devastation you have seen. Good luck with going forward with your rebuild and healing. You will get a lot of good sincere help from the forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
projects at 329art instagram
more junk 329art.com
Sojjo
Forum Newb

Post by Sojjo »

Nice to read everyone's responses. I'm including a photo so all can see; please let me know of any questions I can answer. Thanks!
Sojjo
Forum Newb

Post by Sojjo »

Here is a photo I finally resized to download
IMG_1577.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rwmann
Roadster Fanatic

Post by rwmann »

Tragic circumstances, but to be blunt, most roadsters in the northeastern states look far worse, because of decades of road salt exposure. These look from 40 feet to be salvageable, albeit with complete rebuilds.
eye
Roadster Fanatic

Post by eye »

Sad to hear, even worse to see.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
projects at 329art instagram
more junk 329art.com