Want ads

Moderators: garth, notoptoy, S Allen

SaveThatClassic
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

WTB SR20DE non turbo

Post by SaveThatClassic »

After doing research and pricing out rebuilding my R16, carbs ect I am looking to do a SR20DE swap.

Looking for the Engine or Engine / trans combo (with harness and ECU of course)

I'm in So California

Cheers, Miki

Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Re: WTB SR20DE non turbo

Post by Pjackb »

Not saying don’t do it it’s your car you can do whatever you want but Out of curiosity
How much Did you calculate for a rebuild and what do you think it will cost you for a complete swap? Assuming you’re doing it yourself

bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by bobd »

Hard to put a price on the additional fun factor of the SR20.

eye
Roadster Fanatic

Post by eye »

Plan on doing the brake upgrade and the rear end swap also or something will go boom. Get to know Spriso ASAP.

spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Curious what your calculations showed
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2000 Durango
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...

sfdaugherty
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by sfdaugherty »

I wouldn't demand that a harness be included. I think you would be much better off using a new harness from Wiring Specialties. All new wires. Plug it in and go.

Shannon
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Waiting patiently for restoration)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family

dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

I'll add my 2 cents to this discussion. I have a '69 sr20 swap car and a '66 1600 survivor. I chose to rebuild the r16 on the '66 because of the originality and story behind the car. The engine needed over-sized pistons, crank and cam work and I had the head rebuilt. The tranny was also gone through. Z-therapy carbs. JT pertronics dizzy. It was a total refresh. If a "good" sr20 engine, tranny, ecu were purchased I would have had less invested. There are other associated costs in a swap. Not knowing all the variables involved with individual projects, I would call it a wash between the two. EXCEPT the sr20 KICKS serious *** and is a blast to drive! One man's experience and opinion. Your results may vary. FWIW Pat

eye
Roadster Fanatic

Post by eye »

The sr20 swap requires pretty extensive frame modifications just to get the motor to bolt up. Same with the transmission. it should be done with the body OFF of the frame. If you aren't a metal fabricator you will get to know one in a hurry. You will need a new rear end for sure and should upgrade the brakes minimum.
I'm not trying to discourage you. I had the same choice to make. I chose the SR20 with boost!
PM for a link to pictures if you want

sfdaugherty

Post by sfdaugherty »

I don't agree that you must change your rear end. I ran my swap with a 3.9 differential from a 1600 for quite a while. I also think the stock brakes are fine if well maintained. Neither modifications are a bad thing but not mandatory. Finding a "good" SR20 is a bit more challenging than it was 10-15 years ago. My first engine, an S13, had bad bearing and low oil pressure so I parted it out. My next engine was an S14. It ran great and had great oil pressure but smoked. I still have it with a plan to rebuild it someday. My next and current engine is an S15. Due to my previous problems, I went through the engine and replaced rings, bearings, gaskets, seals, and lapped valves. Turns out, the engine was already in fine condition (a good one) Bottom line is you never know with a used 20-25 year old engine.

Shannon
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Waiting patiently for restoration)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family

SaveThatClassic
Roadster Newby

Post by SaveThatClassic »

Thanks for the replies:

First off the car has been sitting since 2013, just going through the brakes, it all needs to be rebuilt, I already purchased new OEM Nissan front brake pistons + rotors / pads (weirdest calipers I have ever seen btw) and will be rebuilding the MC and rear wheel cyl. The Z therapy carb rebuild was what I was after, cost is $650 plus shipping and 5 months wait...big turn off. I have owned a 510 with a built SR20DET So I like the motor, but don't need it to be crazy like the 510 was (320hp/300tq at the wheels @ 16psi) which would just blow the tires off under full boost.

Since I don't know what condition the rest of the drive train is in (the engine will turn and fire with gas poured down its throat), I would not be able to drive it until the carbs would be available. Hence that is 5-6 months of waiting I would for sure loose interest.

I'm budgeting $4000 for the swap with parts (and credit for selling the stock drive train). The frame mods are not a problem as I can fabricate, already have my MIG and Plasma cutter set up.

Overall my budget is 20k to get this car done, me doing most of the work minus paint and body (I can do any rust repair, which I don't see much).

I would like a stock looking exterior with steelies and white walls and a modern drive train.

Any idea what and average SR20DE swap should cost? (engine/trans/ecu)

spriso
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by spriso »

We can help with conversion parts www.spriso.com

I would read my "So You Want an SR20DE(T) engine" thread in the engine swaps section: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27500

And probably the "Hybrid How-To" on installing a SR20 into your roadster: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5128

Let us know if we can help with your conversion-- we have been stuffing SR20-series engines into Roadsters for over 20-years now...

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!

dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

SaveThatClassic wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 am
Thanks for the replies:

First off the car has been sitting since 2013, just going through the brakes, it all needs to be rebuilt, I already purchased new OEM Nissan front brake pistons + rotors / pads (weirdest calipers I have ever seen btw) and will be rebuilding the MC and rear wheel cyl. The Z therapy carb rebuild was what I was after, cost is $650 plus shipping and 5 months wait...big turn off. I have owned a 510 with a built SR20DET So I like the motor, but don't need it to be crazy like the 510 was (320hp/300tq at the wheels @ 16psi) which would just blow the tires off under full boost.

Since I don't know what condition the rest of the drive train is in (the engine will turn and fire with gas poured down its throat), I would not be able to drive it until the carbs would be available. Hence that is 5-6 months of waiting I would for sure loose interest.

I'm budgeting $4000 for the swap with parts (and credit for selling the stock drive train). The frame mods are not a problem as I can fabricate, already have my MIG and Plasma cutter set up.

Overall my budget is 20k to get this car done, me doing most of the work minus paint and body (I can do any rust repair, which I don't see much).

I would like a stock looking exterior with steelies and white walls and a modern drive train.

Looks like you have given yourself a reasonable budget. Pat

onsight512
Site Supporter

Post by onsight512 »

SaveThatClassic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:58 pm
After doing research and pricing out rebuilding my R16, carbs ect I am looking to do a SR20DE swap.

Looking for the Engine or Engine / trans combo (with harness and ECU of course)

I'm in So California

Cheers, Miki
Hi Miki,

Mike Spagnola might be someone to speak with. I wouldn't be surprised if he could help you source an SR20DE.

https://www.facebook.com/Purpose-Built- ... 337197483/

JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

If you have convinced yourself an SR is the way to go, I'd certainly recommend getting Michael's help. He can talk you through every aspect and no one has more expertise in the field. He will treat you fairly. since you are in SoCal, KevinD is great too.

I'll offer an alternate perspective though - I sure wouldn't go into this thinking you will save money with the swap, they typically cost MUCH more than planned unless your time has no value and you can do all of it yourself. Here are a few other thoughts:

a. there are lots of carb options other than Z therapy, so that is fairly flawed reasoning. You certainly don't have to wait 6 months for a set of SU's-that's madness.

b.unless you source an AU-tech or other exotic SR, there is not really much of a performance gain with a ordinary SR-NA. A healthy U or stroker will certainly give its a run for the money. A typical redtop/silver/blacktop NA SR is way overated...meh.
I think Daryl's 1850 stroker would outrun the last silver top NA SR car I drove-it was fairly pedestrian. Yes there is a slight weight advantage with the SR, but no more than a small/medium sized passenger. If you go down the turbo path, that is a pretty huge can of worms.

c.I think you are assuming a "good" SR. I have 5 or 6 SR rwd SR blocks, both NA and T that all need full rebuilds. (Actually 2 are turbo rebuilds) Don't assume an ebay rando JDM motor is in great shape-many have apparently been flogged by Japanese kids learning how to drive lol. The domestic 240sx SR crowd is even more likely to pawn off clapped out junk to unsuspecting buyers. Its a very blind item - and don't bother with "but it has good compression bs"- that is a pathetic way to assess engine condition. If you have to rebuild the SR, there won't be much cost advantage and potentially none if you source high quality Japanese parts.

d. I think if you ask around, you will find plenty of folks that love their U,R, stroker drivetrain just as much as the SR crowd loves the SR. To each their own. A healthy roadster engine is plenty of fun if you know how to set it up. Like I said, I have 5 or 6 SR's around here and little desire to put one in a roadster.

Also, if you are trying to "SaveThatClassic" a swap is probably not the best idea for a roadster in the long run. Numbers matching/original cars will almost always provide the best return/value over time (all things being equal). Ask the guys who swapbastardized series1 240z's years ago...oops. Just my opinion, but that is kinda hard to argue with.

If you do go the SR route, Michael, Kevin and Spags are all great resources. Have fun!
JT/LT
Datsunrestorationproducts.com
The very finest parts for your 311!

Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

SaveThatClassic wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 am

With 20K you have a very good budget for the car however I would like to caution you on the swap portion to at least double the amount you budgeted , the cheapest swap I have seen is done is ShaunTs and that was 5K after selling his rebuilt R16 with Mikunis (yours isn’t worth as much) . there are lots of incidentals on a swap that you are probably not considering that are quite costly (gauges,fuel tank and intake exhaust mods, harness, etc.) if you budget 7-10K you will be in the right ball park , closer to 7K if you can do most of the fabrication

Building your R16 into a stroker as also suggested if you can do some of the work is between 3-5K depending if you go 2L or 2.1L and if SU vs Weber or HSR

Good luck in your choice and as other have said whatever route you take you’ll have plenty of support from the community
Just make sure to ask plenty of questions so you go in eyes wide open