Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, garth, S Allen

Gr8Gary
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Wiring diagrams

Post by Gr8Gary »

Hi all, this is my first go around with a roadster. Have done several Z cars and there are sites where you can get into factory service manuals online. Does anybody have these resources or can point me in the direction of wiring diagrams. I am working on a 69 2000. Just picked it up and recently got her running but alternator is not charging, need wiring diagrams. Thanks for your help!

MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Wiring diagrams

Post by MattC »

Welcome Gary! The Tech Wiki on this site will have pretty much anything you could ever need and more. Here is the wiring page: http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... ngDiagrams
Matt

1970 SRL311 #14204
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY

Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

66 stroker
67 basket case, the renewal has begun.

Gr8Gary
Roadster Newby

Post by Gr8Gary »

Thank you Matt and Curtis, I grew up in Williamsville, graduated from Williamsville South in 79! Small world I tested all wires and they ohm out properly, I have an extra white wire from alternator, not sure that’s the correct one. I tried a known good voltage regulator and still no charge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gr8Gary on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

The tech wiki has several different shop manuals posted as well, as long as a wealth of forum member supplied tips tricks and time savers. It'll be well worth your time to look through the whole thing to have an idea of the resources at your fingertips.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG

Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Uh oh, sounds like someone has rewired. You ahould havw one large white and possibly a small white. Since it is 69 you may only have the other small wires. Yellow, black, white with black stripe. And black with white stripe.
66 stroker

Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Is the alternator still on the driver's side?
66 stroker

Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I had an error in my drawing, I left off a wire. I fixed it and put up the new one.
66 stroker

MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

Beautiful Z, Gary. And the roadster looks like it’ll be a fine project also! Where are you now, if not in frigid WNY?
Matt

1970 SRL311 #14204
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY

Gr8Gary
Roadster Newby

Post by Gr8Gary »

It doesn’t look like the car is been rewired, there are three wires coming out of the harness yellow, White with black, and black, A large yellow wire to the positive post on the alternator in a ground wire for the alternator.. Alternator has the same colors plus the addition of one white wire which the spade was pulled out of the plug for some reason. May have been pulled out because previous owner had same problem? Don’t know. Alternator still on Driver side. This car was put together and never driven. Do they make two different alternators for the Roadster? Wiggling the wires around earlier today found the yellow wire broke out of the connector on the harness side. Think I’ve got another connector that I can replace it with. By the way not far from Williamsville now I moved to Houston, then to Tennessee, now in Indiana. Getting closer to the frigid north! LOL
Last edited by Gr8Gary on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gr8Gary
Roadster Newby

Post by Gr8Gary »

Here’s some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

For it to work properly you need all the wires hooked up including the small white one at the VR.

You can get all the stuff you need to repair the connectors at Vintage Connections/Sparck Moto.

http://www.vintageconnections.com/
66 stroker

MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

I was just out messing with my car and snapped a couple pics for reference.
4EBD56BF-3424-44CA-9DE3-86AB4B31DAC8.jpeg
C88DB85E-005C-4AF5-8842-34A0775A3A68.jpeg
Matt

1970 SRL311 #14204
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY

Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Yes, under the exhaust manifold, what a lovely place to put an alternator. And of course there is the added benefit of having the intake on the same side too.
66 stroker

Gr8Gary
Roadster Newby

Post by Gr8Gary »

Hi Matt, looks like you have three wires coming out of your harness also to the alternator. Soldered a new connector at alternator because connections looked horrible and yellow wire snapped. Everything is connected properly at the voltage regulator. Got power at white wire on voltage regulator and big yellow wire at alt. At this point I’m thinking it may be a bad alternator, any way to test it on car? It’s a real pain in the ass to R&R the damn thing where they have it located. By the way, she runs and drives has all five gears and lots of power. Put about 5 miles on this afternoon. Obnoxiously loud, need to get a better muffler, LOL.