Parts valuation question

General topics.

Moderators: garth, notoptoy, S Allen

Mike Unger
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Parts valuation question

Post by Mike Unger »

I'm starting to go through all my extra parts and the things I won't need I'm interested moving on to others who might be able to use them. I have accumulated a bunch of parts over the years due to many reasons. My interest is more towards race cars and not street cars so I'm not really sure about current values for many things these days. I have started to list some things on Ebay that I know might be useful to others with no reserve and lowish starting prices to cover packing effort and shipping and figure the auction will let people decide the value if they need it. This is easiest for me but I'm not crazy about Ebay and I know others avoid it.

Some things I'm not sure if they have much value, what a reasonable price would be or what would be the best way to pass them on. For one example I have several 2000 radiators. These would be good cores for rebuilding and might be good for upgrading a 1600 or restoring a 2000. Do they have value that makes them worth packing and shipping to others? I know we can't list things for sale here without a price so I thought I would put forth the the question here to see if other people here have an idea on the best way to price items? For some things I can do an Ebay search and see what past sales show but sometimes it's hard to find the info on specific items. Would a price guide for used parts be possible with a rough range for expected costs? Would that be useful for sellers or potential restorers? Just a thought and I'd like to hear what others think.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Unger
greydog

Re: Parts valuation question

Post by greydog »

Regarding the radiators Mike.
I think popular opinion would be that the aluminum radiators are an upgrade and less money than most radiator shops will do a recore for.
So, I'd guess that originality would be the only real offsetting factor. It'll cost more to ship a factory radiator than an alumium one wo gy the time all is done I'd think the marked would be pretty limited.
You never know tho and I see all sorts of stuff I think it junk for sale on Ebay.
Dan
.68 SRL311 aka "Skortch". On the road again.
'69 SPL311 aka "Scooter" terrorizing the streets
1990 Nissan 300ZX
2008 VW GTI
2017 VW Passat
bossbob
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by bossbob »

I'd be interested in a list of what you have .
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Linda
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Maybe take a pic of each item with price, add OBO if you like.
Then list it all in one place, Dropbox, Flckr etc. Post the link on 311. Post your ebay link and name so you can be found for any parts there.
Plan to come back 1-2 x a month to bump the link.
Lay out the rules on your link site re returns, Paypal etc
Many parts don’t sell fast unless they are pretty cheap, depends on what you want.
Many don’t check here on 311 too often so they could miss your sale. Try Craigslist and the FB pages for selling space also.
USPS flat rate boxes work well for lots of parts.
Recycling parts is a great idea for keeping them on the road.

Linda
68 1600 Los Angeles, CA
New owners must read: the ultimate road trip, by Scott- roadsterroadtrip.com-http://www.roadsterroadtrip.com/index.php/readfromstart
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

greydog wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 pm Regarding the radiators Mike.
I think popular opinion would be that the aluminum radiators are an upgrade and less money than most radiator shops will do a recore for.
So, I'd guess that originality would be the only real offsetting factor. It'll cost more to ship a factory radiator than an alumium one wo gy the time all is done I'd think the marked would be pretty limited.
You never know tho and I see all sorts of stuff I think it junk for sale on Ebay.
Dan
Thanks for the comments Dan. Yes, I agree on those points and that is exactly why I used the radiators as an example. It's easier for me to scrap these for the metal locally than ship them. For me, time and effort is $$. Then they are gone in the future for people that want to correctly restore a car. The cars are starting to be recognized as classics and correct restorations are becoming an option. My idea here would be a list of commonly needed or desired parts and a range of expected prices to pay for used items. This would enable sellers to decide if they want to list a part for below that range or in the middle or the high end for a particularly good condition item. This would also help newcomers (or old guys like me that don't keep up) judge what they might need to rescue a project car. It seemed to me that this would be useful for others and the collective of this list would have the knowledge to put this together a list of parts and range of values maybe in the Wiki format. Some people are scouting out parts to buy and then resell for a profit. That's their prerogative and I have no problem with that but I'm trying to get parts I don't need into the hands of end users for a reasonable price and eliminate that. Listing parts for a high price with obo here is just an auction in disguise. This may be too ambitious an idea and Ebay is still the best avenue.
Mike Unger
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

I would use Dean's site as a starting point for pricing the more common items. Easy to find used would get discounted a lot. Parts that are impossible to find used would sell at a lower discount. I have bought a number of unavailable and also some very expensive parts through Ebay. I often wonder about the pricing of some used parts. For example, the engine/transmission plate. Does anyone really think that anyone else ever needs one?
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

C.Costine wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:51 am I would use Dean's site as a starting point for pricing the more common items. Easy to find used would get discounted a lot. Parts that are impossible to find used would sell at a lower discount. I have bought a number of unavailable and also some very expensive parts through Ebay. I often wonder about the pricing of some used parts. For example, the engine/transmission plate. Does anyone really think that anyone else ever needs one?
Another good example. If you are doing a 5 speed conversion you do need the thicker one, so yes. Again, you know to go look at Dean's site or other sites including Ebay. If we had a list and a range using the criteria you mentioned someone thinking about getting a roadster would know what to expect or someone with parts sitting on the shelf might be more motivated to make them available. Just a thought.
Mike Unger
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

The problem I see with putting out a recommended price list is that you are trying to hit a moving target. As the popularity of a old car increases so does its value along with the value of it’s parts. What you would end up with is something like a MSRP, which we all know is just a make believe number.
Mike M
1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!) 1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! (Soon to be resurrected). (resurrected summer of 2020).
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

theunz wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:06 am The problem I see with putting out a recommended price list is that you are trying to hit a moving target. As the popularity of a old car increases so does its value along with the value of it’s parts. What you would end up with is something like a MSRP, which we all know is just a make believe number.
I'm thinking this list would be dynamic just like the car values over time not a fixed recommended price but a range and the range might be wide. If a reproduction of a rare part comes out the used prices for the original part may actually decrease as well. Like I said maybe too ambitious, but I thought it might be useful.
Mike Unger
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Mike, if you have a 67. 2000 radiator, I could use one.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2000 Durango
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

wanted: 68 bumper suitable for rechroming
"I have one available for $200 plus $35 shipping."

A data point for the list ;-)
Mike Unger
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

spl310 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:26 am Mike, if you have a 67. 2000 radiator, I could use one.
Hi Sid, Email sent.

M
Mike Unger
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by jrusso07 »

My experience is a part is always more expensive when you need it quickly. My thought is geared toward owners who value having spares.

Suggest you create "package deals" with 5 to 10 items that are typically grouped together. Using radiator example, radiator, oulet elbow and spacer, overflow tanks, radiator caps, temp senders and nuts, etc. Other packages include, door parts/handles, light packages, brake packages, etc. Price reasonably and offer "best offer". Dont break up packages. Charge for shipping.

Move as much stuff as possible in lowest amount of transactions (time).
My 2 cents worth...
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311