trunk hinge spring install tricks? - help needed!

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: garth, notoptoy, S Allen

andyb
Roadster Fanatic

trunk hinge spring install tricks? - help needed!

Post by andyb »

So, I managed to get the tension springs off without removing the hinges... and am having difficulty reinstalling. i have another car to look at to see how they go, but getting them in seems really tricky.

any special tricks, or do i need to mcguyver a special tool? is it possible to put them back in with the hinges installed?
DatsunNoob
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: trunk hinge spring install tricks? - help needed!

Post by DatsunNoob »

Wow, I just went through this. I think I put my springs back properly. My only concern is that the trunk lid tends to sit high with the springs holding it about an inch off the latch. It moves freely so I think it's ok.
Start here ===> There is a left and right spring. You'll have to determine which is which but start with the spring without the noise cushion. For me that was my 'left' spring.
Block the lid fully open (or have a friend hold it. Their not). Take the left spring and hold it so the straight end is on the right. There is a small hole in the right hinge, insert the straight end into that hole NOTE....there is a second hole. The straight end needs to go through both.
While inserting to the right, check the left end. There is a hook to it. If you have the correct side, the hook will just slide through a slot in the sheet metal on the body. Once it's in the slot, the hook will almost fit onto one of the two tabs near the slot. It just takes a bit of finessing to get the spring to slide horizontally (not much, about 1/4-1/2 inch). I put the springs on the first of the two tabs.
Repeat for the other side.
And now comes the fun part. On each spring at the 'straight' end, there is a 90 degree bend. If installed on the proper side it will be very close to a small slot in the sheet metal on the opposite end from the hook and tab. Just pull on the spring to seat it into that slot. It will take some effort and there will probably also be a small bang when it seats.
:!: :!: :!: Caution: this procedure will scratch the paint. Proceed with caution!
:D
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

So a little late to the party but I just took off my 66 trunk lid and snapped these photos. Maybe they will be useful to someone later.

IMG_2668[1].JPG
IMG_2669[1].JPG
IMG_2670[1].JPG
IMG_2671[1].JPG
IMG_2672[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 stroker
67 basket case, the renewal has begun.
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by 23yrRebuild »

Thanks Curtis,...I agree the pics may be helpful in the future, and I've saved them in my Datsun files.
Mike
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
S Allen
Site Admin
Location: Knoxville, IA(Lake Redrock)Antioch, CA(Winter Months)

Post by S Allen »

Will put in the wiki as well. I was missing trunk springs on my latest acquisition. I fought like hell to get some put on.

S
66 Stroker-Sora Blue
67.5 Stroker-Purple
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
S Allen
Site Admin
Location: Knoxville, IA(Lake Redrock)Antioch, CA(Winter Months)

Post by S Allen »

Posted in the wiki under body--thanks.

Trunk Hinges

Steve
66 Stroker-Sora Blue
67.5 Stroker-Purple
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth