Any interest in a turbo U20 or maybe the whole car?

Items For Sale

Moderators: notoptoy, garth, S Allen

datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Any interest in a turbo U20 or maybe the whole car?

Post by datsunrides » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:50 am

I’m looking to go another direction engine wise so I figured I’d offer up the chance to purchase a one of a kind engine setup, a turbo, efi, and intercooled U20. The long block was built by Rebello specifically as a turbo motor about 10 years ago and has I think 6-7k miles. Almost everything inside the motor was new including the timing setup and oil pump that was purchased from Stan. The head was ported and a has a custom reground cam, block was oringed, and the jack shaft was modified along with a couple other tricks up Dave’s sleeve. ECU is a SDS EM4F with crank fire ignition. Obviously the manifolds are custom and the T25 turbo was rebuilt. Uses a KA throttle body. I had a custom distributor drive blank made (since crank fire) and a custom thermostat housing for the coolant sensor and sender. Had the balancer rebuilt also. Never put it on the dyno but I’d guess about 180 ish crank HP. Motor is still in the car so you could hear it run and has been dead reliable. I have driven it to quite a few of the west coast shows over the years. I would suggest to look at the rear main seal as there is an oil leak possibly coming from there. Motor will come complete from balancer to clutch, oil pan to valve cover and include ECU and it’s wiring harness with the exception of the wide band O2 sensor. Car does not need it run in open loop. I’m going to ask 6k for the engine as I’m using a SR20DET as a comparison and figure that is around what one would cost to buy and install. I have well over 8k in this engine not including my fab time. Biggest benefit is you don’t have to do any cutting to install the motor, just drop it in. You will need to figure a fuel pump out, but you would have to do that anyways with a SR. You would be only the 2nd person to have ever had a turbo efi U20, an exclusive club! :lol:
8CB1A182-ED6E-450C-9B83-4E533BC87226.jpeg
7E4C0B77-E53E-4EAC-BD8A-0A612EB74D95.jpeg
DD498B4F-056B-4086-A1C8-1F3EAD9D1DFE.jpeg
439313F2-6FA0-4ACB-BBE2-1A65AF4FD110.jpeg

Alternatively, I may be open to selling the whole car. I really don’t want to as that would mean I’d have to start fresh on another resto, but maybe someone would rather have a turn key car. Basics are 10 year old full frame off rotesserie restoration, pretty much every piece of chrome was replated, custom interior, rear disc brakes, etc, etc, etc. I think most west coast guys know of my car. Of course I can provide more pics and specifics if anyone is truly interested but if the motor doesn’t sell separate I will probably list the car on BAT in the spring and see what it would fetch. Since forum rules state I need to list a price, I’m going to say 25k. While not the nicest car out there by any means, it is nice enough to win awards at most of the shows I take it to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)

greydog

Re: Any interest in a turbo U20 or maybe the whole car?

Post by greydog » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:31 pm

Man, I thought you were going to have that car forever.
Everything changes doesn't it?
I am looking forward to seeing what you're planning to do next.
Dan
.68 SRL311 aka "Skortch". On the road again.
'69 SPL311 aka "Scooter" terrorizing the streets
1990 Nissan 300ZX
2008 VW GTI
2017 VW Passat

datsunrides

Post by datsunrides » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:54 pm

Dan, I'd like to keep the car, just change up the powerplant. But someone may be interested in the engine but not want to do the work to install it so in that case I could sell the whole enchilada.
1966 Roadster

theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 pm

$6000 for a stock U20 in the same condition would be a good deal. This is a smoking deal! Good luck with the sale and your future power plant.
Mike M
1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!) 1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! (Soon to be resurrected)

twistin
Roadster Fanatic

Post by twistin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Nice clean set up; curious of what boost you are running to predict the 180hp ? Sounds very conservative.
SRL-01749
My other car is an unfinished project. (as well)

datsunrides

Post by datsunrides » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:43 am

180 may be conservative, but since I have no proof, I’ll guess on the low end. Currently it’s running the original wastegate actuator so 6 psi. I’ve thought about putting a boost controller on there and bump it to 10, as the motor is built to handle more boost, but the car is a blast the way it is so have just left it. Also, so people know, you could buy this and run it N/A either with the fuel injection or regular carbs. This motor just has a lower compression ratio of about 8.5:1 vs stock for better long term reliability with the turbo. I would guess about a 5 HP loss over stock because of the compression difference, but it is probably more than made up for with the Rebello porting.
1966 Roadster