Addco rear sway bar

Want ads

Moderators: notoptoy, garth, S Allen

mikeb
Site Supporter

Addco rear sway bar

Post by mikeb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Hi all,

It's been a while (again) and I'm trying to get some more work done on the car over the winter and have it complete by next spring. That's the plan...

So I'm looking for the Addco part 928, which is NLA. I was able to find a download of the installation instructions and it's installed forward of the rear axle housing over the driveshaft and the endlink assembly is fairly conventional. Bar diameter is 5/8".

The other one shown below installs behind the rear axle and attaches inboard on the rear axle via some strange looking brackets. Bar diameter is 3/4".
Here's a picture of it I found on the forum for reference:
Rear sway bar.jpg
So that is the one I don't want. Here's the backstory: when I first bought the car way back in 1980, it had the above 3/4" rear bar installed. But it also had a 4:62 LSD that was shimmed up so tight, it was impossible to push except in a straight line. Driving at slow speed in a parking lot felt like you were just abusing the rear tires. The car had comp springs all around and seemed to handle quite well, with no evil oversteer tendencies. I suspect it had to do with the shimmed up LSD.

Fast forward to today: the 4:62 was replaced early on with a 4:37 and the extra shims were removed. Simon now has my 4:37 and I have his 3:89. I'm still running comp springs all the way around, with newer low mileage comps in the rear. I've already removed the short bottom leaf and plan on removing the second one per the Bob Sharp manual to soften up the rear suspension. I'm running JT's bilsteins all the way around and I'd like to try a rear bar again. Speaking with a friend who used to race a 1600 back in the day, he said the rear comp springs are way too stiff to allow the bar to work properly, but said with softer springs it would work fine. I'm thinking that a smaller diameter bar would be even better, so that's the story.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikeb
Site Supporter

Re: Addco rear sway bar

Post by mikeb » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:52 am

Sorry for the bump - does anyone have an Addco rear sway bar they would be willing to sell?

Thanks!

Mike