General topics.

Moderators: garth, notoptoy, S Allen

RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Re: Refurbishing a serial number?

Post by RCMike »

cole455 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:54 am
From a buyers perspective, I think most individuals looking for a high-pedigree car would favor a light, original stamping as opposed to one that’s been reworked to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Also, car 60 is already well-known and has been discussed on the board... I don’t think any effort needs to be expended to improve its provenance. It’s good to go; now get back to work!
Yes and Yes

68DSU
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by 68DSU »

Skyman wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:23 pm
68DSU wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:24 am
theunz wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:53 pm
I would highly suggest not messing with it. Any attempt at “fixing” it might be misconstrued as to thinking it has been altered (which it would be technically) and cast suspicion on it’s originality. If you can see the vin at all, even with a magnifying glass, that’s good enough.
I would have to agree. Anything that makes it appear that the VIN has been tampered with could result in the car being seized.
I think we are getting a bit drastic here. I don't see my car being seized because I make some of the letters a bit more legible. I'm not talking "altering" the frame. The original serial number is stamped on the original frame. There is no intent of deceit. I also have no intention of selling this car, and it will be my car to drive and enjoy. I appreciate the concern.
Sorry about that. I wasn't implying that you were being deceitful. My point was that you would have to convince others that you were not being deceitful. You would have to convince the VIN inspector or the jaded road cop.
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50

bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by bobd »

I am in a quandary over a frame number.
I bought an SR20 "kit", complete rolling chassis & drive train.
The original frame is a complete rolling chassis sitting in my barn.
I could retitle the car with the new frame number, but then it would be a rebuilt title.
The original frame could be modified for the SR20, but that would be a lot of extra work, especially since I have a drivable car now.
My default plan is to just keep things as is and if I ever sell the car, it would go with the original frame (rolling chassis and drive train), that would seem overly complicated to a buyer.
I considered grafting the original serial number onto the SR20 frame, but it doesn't feel right and probably wouldn't look right either.
I could really use the extra room in my barn and will eventually strip the frame for storage.
Please excuse my early morning rambling.
'69 1600 with SR20DE

steve_car
Roadster Fanatic

Post by steve_car »

The title goes with the frame VIN. The body is just a part.
If you can get a title with the frame number, that would not be a rebuilt title. Just a clean title.
It would be illegal for you to graft a different number onto the frame and use that for the title.
Steve
65 1500
62 L320