What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68, bmccarthy67

mwegener111
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by mwegener111 »

Can you tell me what clips you used for holding down the brake lines, that looks very clean!
70-1600
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by 70-1600 »

Started to go after the doors on my ride. The main objective is to get new door glass channel weatherstripping in to tighten up the windows, but will be taking care of other bits and pieces as part of the process.

I started with the driver's door today, as the window was rattlin' something awful when closing the door and rolling the window up and down. First discovery was the dreaded broken tab on the channel at the rear of the door - not one but BOTH tabs are broken off. I found the channel floating free in the bottom of the door cavity!
IMG_8947.jpeg
Will move on to remove the fixed wing window (this is a high windshield car), after I wrestle the glass out of the door. I printed off the Tech Wiki write up, "Installing the Door Vertical Track Weather Strip", which is very helpful for this. I'll move on to the passenger door to see if that rear channel has a similar issue with the mounting tabs. I also plan to replace the inner felt weather strip and outer squeegee as part of all this, the under vent window rubber, and new interior door panels as they are a bit rotted and warped after 50+ years.

A few questions for the group:
1. Any recommended sources for the plastic self-adhesive film covering the larger openings in the door?
IMG_8942.jpeg

2. The Tech Wiki write up suggests having the weatherstrip run a bit longer that the length of the channel. Any tips/tricks on that suggestion?

3. I have a new side view mirror that I want to install before I button up the door, and put in a new postie that is missing. How the heck do I get up into that area of the door cavity to put on and tighten the hardware???

Thanks in advance everyone!

-jt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

The stud comes out of the post. Put the post through the hole and then screw the post on from outside. I used an ignition wrench set to get a small wrench. In some cases for other places used a small socket from the quarter inch drive socket set.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

A few questions for the group:
1. Any recommended sources for the plastic self-adhesive film covering the larger openings in the door?

Thanks in advance everyone!

-jt
[/quote]

I used blue Loctite “fun-tak”, rolled into a 1/4” string around the opening to hold the plastic sheet in place over the inner door. It does the job, and permits you to go back in the door over and over without making a mess or having to remove it.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
TobyMan
Roadster Fanatic

Post by TobyMan »

Nice ! I'll be using that advice on my inner doors. Able to go back.in without a mess or redoing everything is brilliant.
Wilson, NY
1968 1600
70-1600
Site Supporter

Post by 70-1600 »

More progress on the driver's door today. Got the wing window and door glass out, including the window regulator. This gave me good access to the postie I wanted to replace, and the opportunity to replace the original side view mirror that was showing its age.

Orig Mirror.jpeg
The replacement mirror I purchased from The Z Store a year ago. It has the same glass shape as the original roadster mirror, but has a chrome finish and a slightly different base and mounting pattern.

Orig vs New.jpeg
So time to add a new mounting hole (I was anxious about drilling holes in the body). After removing the old postie, I attached a length of twine to the end of the new one and fed it through the mounting hole so I could guide the flat washer, lock washer and nut onto the postie thread inside the door (had to reach in through the larger opening of the door interior).

New Hole Reqd.jpeg
Postie String.jpeg

Reaching up in there again, I used the supplied mounting hardware for the mirror (backing plate and nut). You can see the postie in this pic, too, and just how tight it was to get the hardware onto it between the outer body and the seam of the inner and outer door panels.

Internal Door.jpeg
New postie and mirror now in place, I can move on to the passenger door disassembly while I wait for the channel repair and misc new parts to arrive (door felt, squeegees, door panels, etc from Dean) to finish up both sides.

New Mirror.jpeg

Love working on these little cars!

-jt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Nice work. I would be tempted to spray or brush on a good quality rust converter that does not need to be top coated to the inside of the door. SEMS Rust Seal worked well for me for the past 36 years, I'm sure there are others.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Nice, just a question. Is that how the reinforcing plate for the mirror is supposed to mount? I thought that the curve should follow the general shape of the door skin.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2000 Durango
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

Is that surface rust in the inside of the door skin ?
70-1600
Site Supporter

Post by 70-1600 »

spl310 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:55 pm Nice, just a question. Is that how the reinforcing plate for the mirror is supposed to mount? I thought that the curve should follow the general shape of the door skin.
Yup. I reversed it today. :-)
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
70-1600
Site Supporter

Post by 70-1600 »

RustyBucket wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:49 pm Is that surface rust in the inside of the door skin ?
Yup. There’s quite a bit of surface rust in there. Another member suggested a spray on rust treatment…good idea!
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

What magic spray treatment are you going to use? POR-15. Or Eastwood stuff or SEM rust stopper ?

The Eastwood dutiful I used came a flex wind that I attached a long wire to it. Then I could fish it in to cracks. The spray went 360 drgress from the wand top and was able to seep between the layered sheet metal that were factory spot welded and had been seal when the car was made in Japan,

I was impressed how far it penetrate, but have a sheet of cardboard under your car when dribbles out😱
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

This poor roadster was sitting about 10+ years at the back lot of a body shop. It was transported to my country home about 1.5 years ago, where it is stored under cover awaiting its next phase of life. It was filthy and covered in body dust and dirt.

Without significant effort, several months ago, I was able to get the car to start using a external gas can.

After all this time, this weekend I finally gave the car a quick, sympathetic car wash. Under all the filth, looks like the car may have been previously sanded down to get ready for paint, but never completed. Obviously, there will be plenty of body work ahead.

Tempted to maybe bring this one into the shop (at my home) and try to plaint on my own.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

You can’t make it look any worse Dan. All you have to loose is time and money🙄 Buttt…painting a car yourself is very satisfying and who knows, you might be a natural at it!
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!) 1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable!
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

During the autocross at LGGPR last October another driver mentioned to me that I was smoking (not in the good way☹️) on the track. I’ve not noticed any smoking during normal or spirited driving, but did notice a puff of smoke under acceleration if I drove like you do on an autocross course ie. hard on the throttle, hard on the brakes, then hard on the throttle again. I’m getting ready to pull the engine to replace the throw out bearing and install all new timing gears and chains. I decided to do a leak down and a compression test to see if I had any engine issues. The leak down showed from 4 to 8 percent, and the compression numbers ranged from 156 to 165 psi. The leak down numbers might be skewed a little because I had to use two quick disconnects on my air hose on the side going to the cylinder and one was slightly leaking. At any rate I’m happy with the outcome of both tests. The engine only has about 2000 miles on it and the rings took forever to seat, and may not yet be fully seated. After that I checked my timing and found it at 15* instead of 20*. I corrected the timing and found that the engine seemed a little snappier and more willing to rev. Right now I’m trying to find the nerve to dive into the transmission while it’s out and replace the bearings and syncro’s.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!) 1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable!