What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68, bmccarthy67

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by C.Costine »

cbez wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:56 pm Believe I fixed my intermittent high idle issue. I thought it might be an air leak but I think one of the dog bones was too tight and not allowing the linkage to return all the way back.
Well, that will be a good save if it is indeed the problem.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

Finally installed the sun visors ... realized the tiny screws holding them in need to be un-seized. They both stay up, though :)
Ralph

Rolling restoration of white 1968 SPL311
cbez
Roadster Fanatic

Post by cbez »

working on steering wheel refurb. paint was chipped and bubbly, spokes have some deep scratches. trying to figure out how to get a nice texture on the spokes.

I want to do a custom leather wrap eventually
SPL311-02085
dads311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by dads311 »

I decided to brave the cold and take the car out for a short drive, the first since I replaced the rear axle bearings and seals. It was only 41 degrees F so I didn't want to drive too far. What a difference in the amount of noise coming from the back. I knew when I got the axles out I had a bad bearing just spinning it on the axle but on the bench the noise was nothing like what I heard in the car. I could hear the exhaust so much more it was amazing. Can't wait for warmer weather, Mar 1 is supposed to be nearly 60 will be driving it then for sure. Thanks for this site and the knowledge base it contains, amazing.

Mike
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

What do you have for a resonator? Without the bearing noise good quality exhaust noise will be important
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
cbez
Roadster Fanatic

Post by cbez »

Painted the steering wheel hub...which turned into replacing one of the exhaust bushings while I was out in the garage (I bought the red ones and they pretty much all turned to mud..kinda grumpy about that). Then looking at leaks...then pulling out two oil pan bolts to put some thread seal on...then said f it and took off the oil filter housing (again) and fuel pump (first time). Both had some minor leaks against the block. I've had gaskets for them from Ron but I've just been putting it off.
SPL311-02085
v8_ranch
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by v8_ranch »

took it off the market, lol
Shane

1968 SRL Project
cbez
Roadster Fanatic

Post by cbez »

cleaned up the steering wheel. ended up doing ascending grits with lil abrasive wheels and ended up with a blurry mirror finish I like

also dug into the clock but couldn't figure out why it isn't working. Managed to break the lil motor for it lol.
SPL311-02085
Jack Maskell
Roadster Fanatic

Master cylinder

Post by Jack Maskell »

First piston came out easily and I was congratulating myself on an easy disassembly and then I searched it on the forum and realized there was a back piston After hours of lubing and banging master cylinder to disassemble (yes, I tried compressed air) Decided to use a grease gun and pump the back piston out. If I had done this first I could have saved at least 4 hours. Even though piston was stuck there seems to be no damage to bore. I had repeatedly lubed and depressed piston. In the picture you can see my setup I placed firewall grommets in the reservoir bore, taped in place and clamped a washer over reservoir. Then threaded a grease fitting in bleeder screw(did not over tighten just snug) A few pumps later the piston was on its way. Managed to save 2 original master cylinders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New addition 1959 Bugeye Sprite
68 solex rolling chassis
67 spl311 original
67 custom rotary spl311
68 spl311 donor car
cbez
Roadster Fanatic

Post by cbez »

Been having a long term problem getting this to seal perfectly despite getting clean, flat surfaces... so I got a second one on ebay just to see if it helped. Cleaned up nice. Right stuff on the threads to the block (btw what the hell threads are they... none of my SAE taps were right even though it is an early block).

Then right stuff lightly on both sides of one of Ron's laser cut gaskets. We'll see.
SPL311-02085
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Speaking of Right stuff, what say you all as to oil pan sealing? Gasket and Right stuff or just RS alone or gasket and other permatex type sealant. And it always seems to me that factory torque value is too loose.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
cbez
Roadster Fanatic

Post by cbez »

the problem is if you torque them too hard you warp the flange or rip the gasket
SPL311-02085
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

My son, a lamp glass artist in Yokohama Japan, made me a custom gear shift knob. Installed it today. Definately a one-of-a-kind detail for my '69 sr20 resto-mod. Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by RustyBucket »

Do you have a photo of the shifter knob to post ?
theunz
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

Cool knob, has kind of a checkered flag vibe.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!) 1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable!