General topics.

Moderators: garth, notoptoy, S Allen

silvergate
Forum Newb
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

1600 hardtop.. please help identify and estimate value

Post by silvergate »

Hello.. I have a hardtop that came with my 67.5 datsun 1600. It seems to have been made for a taller windshield model. I recently sold the datsun, but still have this hardtop because it didnt fit the car. Can someone please give me the details for this top? Manufacturer, years that it fits, and estimate of value. I'm going to place it up for sale. Thank you!
Here is a link to a public folder with images of the top: Google Drive - Datsun Hardtop

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: 1600 hardtop.. please help identify and estimate value

Post by fj20spl311 »

That's an 68-70 hard top because it has 3 front mounts. Without a plate, its hard to ID the manufacturer as they were cloned by many "fly by night" shops.

It not fitting very well is pretty normal in hot areas as they can take a set.

In SoCal, they are pretty much a "Pay it forward" item. Usually not worth the shipping. The one I have was given to me, but I had to drive 100 miles each way to pick it up.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB

Mackn367
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Mackn367 »

Hardtop is a difficult item to give an estimated value. I would say it is a pick up only item too. My friend actually bought mine for me and paid $150 for it. I'm not saying it is worth that - but maybe start around there and add "or best offer"?
Nick
1967.5 Roadster 1600
VIN: SPL311-13038
Orange County, CA

iloveredmeat
Roadster Newby

Post by iloveredmeat »

I have a hardtop with the portholes and it was made by "DYNAPLASTICS". It has an oval logo with a coach and "RC" (Royal Coachman?), and "SO EL MONTE,CALIF"
But it doesn't look as well made as yours.
Dynaplastics Logo.jpg
And, I don't want to hijack this post, but this begs the question: Would an 'Alvin' hardtop also be considered a "pay-it-forward"? They seem like the nicest and most sought after tops. If they're not "pay-it-forward", what's the value of one that needs paint and weather stripping?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner

datsun1500
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun1500 »

The manufacturer plate is on the inside by the bracket to the body (passenger side). I see it in your photos, just can’t make it out. That being said, they are pretty much a free "come get it" item.
I remember when no one wanted the 1500s......

Alvin
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Alvin »

silvergate wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:12 pm
Hello.. I have a hardtop that came with my 67.5 datsun 1600. It seems to have been made for a taller windshield model. I recently sold the datsun, but still have this hardtop because it didnt fit the car. Can someone please give me the details for this top? Manufacturer, years that it fits, and estimate of value. I'm going to place it up for sale. Thank you!
Here is a link to a public folder with images of the top: Google Drive - Datsun Hardtop
It looks like a "Custom Hardtops" unit. Like Mark mentioned the tag inside will confirm. It's missing the header latches but overall looks to be great condition. I agree with others, start at $150.

iloveredmeat wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:24 pm
And, I don't want to hijack this post, but this begs the question: Would an 'Alvin' hardtop also be considered a "pay-it-forward"? They seem like the nicest and most sought after tops. If they're not "pay-it-forward", what's the value of one that needs paint and weather stripping?
The "Thompson Fiberglass Products" top (mine) are most certainly a "pay-it-forward" item. NOT the nicest and hardly sought after. You are thinking of the Parish/Smoothline tops, or OEM. Those command $$$

Factory high windshield hardtop:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2013 Prius V wagon
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread

iloveredmeat
Roadster Newby

Post by iloveredmeat »

Hi Alvin... I'm pretty new here -- are you THE Alvin?! If so, I'm sure you can help. Yours is beautiful!

Below is a photo of the 'Alvin(?)' hard top I have. Obviously needs paint and weather stripping, (this old photo makes it look worse than it is)... it's totally intact, perfect glass, pretty good chrome, obviously well made, solid, and personally I think they look the best of all hardtops.

But, I'm struggling with the decision on whether to hang on to it or sell it to someone who would likely get more use out of it.
This is San Diego weather after all...

Is this truly an 'Alvin'? And could I potentially sell it and have some money to put toward something some consider more important... like brakes?

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and expertise.
hardtop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70

datsun1500
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun1500 »

^^ That is a pretty standard aftermarket top, not the smooth line which is the $$ one
I remember when no one wanted the 1500s......

Alvin
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Alvin »

iloveredmeat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:32 am
Hi Alvin... I'm pretty new here -- are you THE Alvin?! If so, I'm sure you can help. Yours is beautiful!

Below is a photo of the 'Alvin(?)' hard top I have. Obviously needs paint and weather stripping, (this old photo makes it look worse than it is)... it's totally intact, perfect glass, pretty good chrome, obviously well made, solid, and personally I think they look the best of all hardtops.

But, I'm struggling with the decision on whether to hang on to it or sell it to someone who would likely get more use out of it.
This is San Diego weather after all...

Is this truly an 'Alvin'? And could I potentially sell it and have some money to put toward something some consider more important... like brakes?

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and expertise.

hardtop.jpg
That's the same top as mine! They are plentiful. Again, not desirable like Smoothline/OEM tops.
You could sell it for $150, or invest waaaaay more to re-finish it :D
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2013 Prius V wagon
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread

iloveredmeat
Roadster Newby

Post by iloveredmeat »

Thanks Alvin... Yours is definitely the coolest one I've seen... that's what's inspiring me, but I'm sure it was a lot of work.

I'm not sure $150 moves the needle at all... so I'm still on the fence... I think of how cool it COULD look... but space and time are a premium.

Do you have a source for the weather stripping?

Thanks again I really appreciate it.
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70

Alvin
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Alvin »

iloveredmeat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:41 pm
Thanks Alvin... Yours is definitely the coolest one I've seen... that's what's inspiring me, but I'm sure it was a lot of work.

I'm not sure $150 moves the needle at all... so I'm still on the fence... I think of how cool it COULD look... but space and time are a premium.

Do you have a source for the weather stripping?

Thanks again I really appreciate it.
Weatherstripping part #'s are in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7220&hilit=hardtop+alvin&start=90

You might need to get creative though. In the end, it's probably easier to just buy a new one from smoothline!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2013 Prius V wagon
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread

iloveredmeat
Roadster Newby

Post by iloveredmeat »

Buy a new one?...but where's the misery in that?!

Haha.

I will likely be selling this and just live with a soft top and a tonneau.

Thanks again.
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70

jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Peter,

I agree that Alvin's top is far more attractive than he is (modestly) indicating. If you have storage space anywhere, my recommendation would be to store it away until you have the means and time to restore it. The opportunity cost is only $150, and you can always sell it later if you choose.

The topics of low and high windshield hard tops through Smooth Line have been discussed on these pages, and "caveat emptor" applies:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26096&p=296121&hili ... ws#p296121

If I'm not mistaken, Smooth Line STILL has not returned Sid's hard top he loaned them to pattern.

Jon

FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by FergO2k »

I made something like this out of rope, pulleys, and bike rack hooks, but this "all in one" package looks more slick.
https://www.amazon.com/1003-Kayak-Hoist-RAD-Sportz/

Most of us don't realize how much unused space is in our garage... up there.

That top does not look "faux leather grained", so will turn out much nicer, though smooth glossy surfaces show indents and paint flaws a lot more. (that is why they grained them!)
I got weather stripping at local Hot Rod Swap meet vendor, just took some creative thinking.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door
Los Alamitos, CA

iloveredmeat
Roadster Newby

Post by iloveredmeat »

Hey, thanks you guys... sadly, my garage overhead is taken up by too many surfboards and fishing equipment...

And.. I totally understand the idea of storing it until I'm ready. That's what I've been toiling with.

Oh, and if it can look half as good as that sorry-looking top Alvin has, I'll be an extremely happy guy. ha.

In all seriousness, it's less the fact that it's a well made top, and more the look of Alvin's that still has me pondering to keep it.

One bonus is that I can do most, if not all, the prep on this top with the help of my fix-it-guy neighbor who repairs boats and motorhomes. He is well versed (and equipped!) to do fiberglass repair and prep.

Now I just need to find a neighbor who can build me a second story to store more stuff in my garage.

Thanks again all, I'll keep you posted.
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70