Wheelskin cover for your original wheel

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68, bmccarthy67

jhayden
Site Supporter

Wheelskin cover for your original wheel

Post by jhayden »

Here’s a Wheelskin laced up tight on a ’69 SRL wheel. Unlike the perforated vinyl covers with exposed hobbycraft laces (ugh), the grip indents on the back retain the same feel as on the bare wheel, only leather covered. Anyone interested can order directly from their website:

http://www.wheelskins.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enter “Other” for both make and model, the year, colour choice and quantity. The next screen will ask for circumference (15 5/8”) and grip (2 5/8”).

The horn button in the pic was an experiment – still have the original big button. BTW, a little known fact was that Nissan engineers designed the original horn button large enough to accommodate an air bag had production of the roadsters been continued.

(Okay, that last part was made up – but it seems almost credible, doesn’t it?)

Jon Hayden
SRL31108153
HLS3000327 (sold but fondly remembered)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fubar

Re: Wheelskin cover for your original wheel

Post by Fubar »

Jon I bought the same one. I have not installed it so thanks for the pic now I'm really happy! my wheel is a bit haggered. I bought the matchin stick shift cover as well. It will be one of the last things I install
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Fubar,
Hope the installation goes well. Will be interested in your feedback re: fit and quality for the money spent. Probably almost as many 311s with cracked OEM wheels as with cracked OEM dashes, and covers for both seem a reasonable alternative.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Jon

BTW, "Yes."
FairladySPL
Roadsteraholic

Post by FairladySPL »

Good looking grip there Jon.
Tnx for the tip.

Also interested in who did your center console lid.

Looks sharp. Mine's tired, too much elbow over the years, ready to be re-done.
--Paul / Annapolis
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

FairladySPL wrote:Good looking grip there Jon.
Tnx for the tip.

Also interested in who did your center console lid.
that's one of those plastic lid covers. I threw mine away and used a piece of plywood, some foam and vinyl.. IMHO the lid covers are always just a bandaid and you are better off upholstering.....it's easy too.
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

FairladySPL:
The console cover w/lid is inventory item nr. 1079 from DatsunParts.com (one of the "Vendors" listed on this site, and a darned good one).

RFR:
Your ability to shadetree a console lid that matches the original in colour, texture, and style is truly admirable -- my efforts to do likewise always failed miserably (along with the black electrical tape to substitute for the inside door handle recess covers, etc.)! Thank you for YHO!

Jon
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

jhayden wrote:FairladySPL:

RFR:
Your ability to shadetree a console lid that matches the original in colour, texture, and style is truly admirable -- my efforts to do likewise always failed miserably (along with the black electrical tape to substitute for the inside door handle recess covers, etc.)! Thank you for YHO!

Jon
Jon, I am sorry I meant no disrespect to you.
I also sense the sarcastic tone in your response. I have in my profession, in addition to doing guitars done a lot of amplifiers, which involves a lot of vinyl covering. Also, as a kid I had an uncle I apprenticed for who was an upholsterer. So there is no shadetree involved. :) At the same time, doing a cover is not a 10th degree difficult task. I have full confidence that you as well as most others on this site could pull it off.

While I mean you no disrespect, I still stand by my opinion that the console cover is of poor quality.
It doesn't fit well, it is abs plastic, and the grain nowhere near matches the original vinyl anyway.

If you are happy, fine. :smt023 I was just pointing out there were better alternatives, and the lid is the easiest one to do.

But back on topic, the wheel cover looks very good, thank you for the info and link.

I will now bow out of your thread for fear of offending you more. :smt003
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

RFR:
As Archie Bunker once remarked, "No intense offended!" Okay, so "shadetree" and "backyard" apply to my efforts at vinyl repair (an old school teacher by trade), and what may seem an easy fabrication to you (with your background) are quite difficult for me, so Dean's (DatsunParts.com) console renew kit was the easy choice for me.
It would be pretty arrogant of me to consider this "my" thread, so please do not hesitate to continue with your upfront comments. As a favour -- and if you can spare the time -- if you could describe how you fabricated your console cover (and avoided the numerous pitfalls along the way), it would be very much appreciated by us neophytes!
A sincere thank you,
Jon
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

Jon it has been a while (10 years), but I'll do my best.

1 remove old covering
2 scrape way all deteriorated foam
3 get a thin (1/4 inch) piece of plywood, cut to shape and round over the edges
4 get some thin dense foam and glue it
5 cover with vinyl stretching it with heat.
6 I think I covered the bottom with another piece of vinyl then just screwed it back onto the frame
I have forgotten all the details, but you got me thinking. If I pick up an old console cover, I should do one and take pics.

Now the console???? that's a bitch. :lol:
68DSU
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by 68DSU »

My consule is the Dean kit. Looks good, and easy to put together. the lid top I did on my own. The plastic one looks best but lacks in comfort. The one I did, looks a little rough but is soft. I've done a couple and it has always worked out the same for me. A looks v comfort battle. My elbow made the choice.
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I guess it depends on if you want to show the car or drive it. If you want to show it...

"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2000 Durango
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
DanR
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DanR »

I would like to thank Jon for providing his wheel measurements as I was able to reference them when I measured my wheel and it came out perfect. Took me about 1.5 hours to lace it up, was done out of the car as the 90 degree weather would have killed me. Now to get a horn button.

And a close up of the material, you can see the cover it came with in the distance, bleh.

jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Dan,
Not fair! Turned out better than mine: they must have sent you a better cover -- it couldn't be that the installer made the difference (???).
Jon

BTW, if you decide on a non-OEM horn button, please do post a pic or two -- thanks!
Lee2000
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Lee2000 »

I recovered my wheel with the same thing but I had to make the leather cover thicker by gluing a strip of thin foam to the underside. Otherwise, the cover would not have been tight enough to the wheel.
DanR
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DanR »

Jon,
Hah, I dunno going from the pics they look the same to me! But my fingers still slightly hurt after that ordeal. The cover fit perfectly, I made it as tight as I could and the seams would just barely mate up at that point. If I were to do it again I would try to get red stitching as that is the theme the PO went after and it looks nice.

I am trying to get an original horn eventually, but the only hardware I have in my car is the wire at the column and the relay