And the Winner is.....

Here is your chance to help a fellow roadster enthusiast out!

Moderators: notoptoy, garth, S Allen

DCooke
Roadster Fanatic

Re: And the Winner is.....

Post by DCooke » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:39 am

Congrats to the winner, and thanks for putting this together for Vic and allowing me to help out such a worthy cause.
Dave Cooke
Cary, IL
1968 1600
1969 1600
2016 BRZ
Chicagoland chapter of the Dairyland Datsuns

FairladySPL
Roadsteraholic

Post by FairladySPL » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Hello Robert !

Very happy for you and I'm looking forward to chapters in the story of a West Coast 311 moving to the South Pacific. Please write, take photos, make videos.

I take it this is your first 311 ? Zero to Max in the flash of the winning email. This should be a great adventure !

On the "wrong hand drive" matter -- I found two references, one of them a government website.
Looks like your car will be old enough to get in. :P

Source:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... y_2011.pdf

(image below)

In Australia, registration of non-vintage (i.e., less than 30 years old) LHD vehicles is illegal. Imported LHD vehicles less than 30 years old (15 years old in Western Australia) must be converted to RHD (potentially costing thousands of dollars), or driven with a permit that imposes severe usage restrictions. However, Western Australia and the Northern Territory (both that have at various times hosted US military facilities and had vehicles imported, used and sold by US service personnel) have LHD vehicles in circulation. The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) previously allowed non-vintage LHD vehicles to be registered, but changed its legislation some years ago. However, in the Northern Territory, LHD vehicle registration is allowed if the vehicle was used for at least 12 months whilst overseas by a migrant or Australian citizen returning home.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and ... nd_traffic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--Paul / Annapolis

rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Hello Paul !

Great name by the way.

Thank you for looking into this for me, I have been looking into all that needs to happen as well and I did not sleep very well last night as my head is trying to get around the whole idea.

It will be my first 311 and I am looking forward to driving the car to at least a few famous landmarks for photo opportunities, it will be fun! :D

I will report back with photos.

I have asked Ron if he is able to help with some info I need for the import papers that I have to get approved by our government, once this has been approved I can organise a shipper to transport the car to its Holiday destination in the sun.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:33 pm

From Ron and many other's efforts to make this happen, the people who participated, Rob buying a ticket to help someone he didn't know half a world away and being a gracious and very happy winner, and now the car's upcoming trip to Australia, this is turning into quite a story. Like everyone else, I would have liked to win, but winning wasn't the true point of this, participating was.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit

Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:30 pm

dbrick wrote:From Ron and many other's efforts to make this happen, the people who participated, Rob buying a ticket to help someone he didn't know half a world away and being a gracious and very happy winner, and now the car's upcoming trip to Australia, this is turning into quite a story. Like everyone else, I would have liked to win, but winning wasn't the true point of this, participating was.
Would be very cool to document everything about the car and it's owners. They take on a life of their own, and reflect on the lives of their owners. How cool.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA

BarryC

Post by BarryC » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:22 am

Congrats!

BTW my understanding is that you do not need to convert cars these days, at least in NSW.

I recommend contacting DSOA about best way to freight and other info such as legislation(s). I have heard that if car is partly dismantled it can be put into a container and classified a "parts".
Bazzman

'69 Datsun 2000 SR311-05066 Solex's

'09 Mazda 2 Maxx (Everyday drive)

rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:03 pm

dbrick wrote:From Ron and many other's efforts to make this happen, the people who participated, Rob buying a ticket to help someone he didn't know half a world away and being a gracious and very happy winner, and now the car's upcoming trip to Australia, this is turning into quite a story. Like everyone else, I would have liked to win, but winning wasn't the true point of this, participating was.
Thanks Dave, I am glad that this was supported so well by the Datsun Fraternity, I can only imagine the amount of work that was put into spreading the word and having it picked up on so many Datsun forums.
BarryC wrote:Congrats!

BTW my understanding is that you do not need to convert cars these days, at least in NSW.

I recommend contacting DSOA about best way to freight and other info such as legislation(s). I have heard that if car is partly dismantled it can be put into a container and classified a "parts".
Thanks Barry, I will try DSOA and see what I can find, I have been cramming info on the net since last weekend. I spoke to a fellow yesterday in Melbourne who has brought one in, he didn't have to change much. They are in a different state and the historic or club registration is really good, you can take the cars out on non club days as well, I wish NSW was the same.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG

BarryC

Post by BarryC » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Well once all this is over and done with it will be pure enjoyment. Hope to see you on some of the club runs.
Bazzman

'69 Datsun 2000 SR311-05066 Solex's

'09 Mazda 2 Maxx (Everyday drive)

1600dave
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 1600dave » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Try sending an email to the committee members of the Sydney Datsun Club (I think the "Contact Us" link on the website will go to all committee members ??)

http://www.sydneydatsunclub.com/

A few members have brought LHD 2 door 510's over to Australia from the USA, there are a couple registered under the Historic Rego scheme, without being converted to RHD. I think there may be one or two on full NSW rego as LHD cars. Someone should be able to help with the correct info anyway, and whether there were any special requirements.

Also, one of the club's members works at a shipping container place and has brought in a few 510's from the USA. It's not their core business, but he may be able to help with shipping, or at least point you in the right direction. I'll PM you his name and details.

And lastly, I'm just around the corner from Charlestown (at Wallsend). And my pair of fairlady's live at my brother's place in Jewells. Small world !

rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info, I will check it out, funny that you are so close to me, I would love to check out your Fairlady's sometime.

I also have a 260z project car in the garage.

I have been cramming as much as I can about roadsters every night for the last couple of weeks.

I am looking forward to getting it here and having some fun.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG

rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:04 pm

I am just wondering, when the roadster arrives in Aus what fuel should I use and what additive do people recommend?

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG