Thoughts for Victor Laury

Here is your chance to help a fellow roadster enthusiast out!

Moderators: garth, notoptoy, S Allen

mraitch
Monthly Subscriber-Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Thoughts for Victor Laury

Post by mraitch » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:51 pm

I read Phil's comments about his drive back to San Diego and his memory of Victor.
I didn't know Victor that well, somewhat reserved/distant, perhaps even aloof, kept a small box of "roll your own" cigarettes (Bali Shag) - my poison of choice.
Studying Japanese for a reason I didn't comprehend.
Last Iron Bottom - 2008 - I think - and I rode shotgun in his 510. He admitted to me that he had reservations about having ANYONE along - but since he had committed he went along with his committment.
And we had fun - Victor (in his 510) was a consummate driver - I didn't wear a seat belt and never felt the need - I never put my brake foot to the passenger floor - even at the speeds that he was driving - diving into bends - blasting out of the corners - no squeal - just flat and in control - wow.
And we jointly witnessed the Gullwing 'trying' to fly. Happy memory.
And the conversation was surprisingly easy - not particularly deep (we are guys after all <G>) but enough to make the trip comfortable.
He loved driving, driving fast and well - sad that this is lost to him.
A stroke at such an early age (overweight, perhaps smoking) - a caution to us all to take care of ourselves - I don't know what his ultimate support group looks like, but kudos to Ron and Fergus for addressing that which they can address.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California

Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Re: Thoughts for Victor Laury

Post by Howard R » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:28 pm

I've already posted my upbeat thoughts on Victor in another post. But, I've got to say that seeing Victor at Solvang was devastating, to say the least. If I hadnt asked if it was him, I would never have recognized him. After visiting with him, my girlfriend cried an so did I. I knew that he was stricken with diabetes. He was considerably overweight, but the last time I saw him he had dropped a considerable amount of weight. He also was a smoker as I once was. Yes, I do have a point, and here it is. Our health is the most important thing we have some measure of control over. To see someone, so young, lose so much to bad health has affected me more than I could ever imagine. I just cant get his image in that wheel chair out of my head. Sorry for such a bummer post, but I just had to air my thoughts.

datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Re: Thoughts of Victor Laury

Post by datsun65 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Last time I was at JCCS (two years ago) I saw Victor. Diabetes is a very tough disease, and I was pleased to see that the planners of JCCS were donating funds to the JDRF (diabetes foundation).

My son (now 16) remembers Victor, and the breakfast we had together at Solvang many years ago. I hope with the support of his friends and family he is making a transition to a new phase in life.

Take care, Vic.
Dan Zubkoff
Houston, TX

nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:05 am

Blasting up to Newcombs ranch, Mt Wilson, mini Iron butt run with Victor was a real thrill. Always on the leading edge he was! Once at a local swap meet he spotted me $$$ for some comp springs cause he knew I wanted them. On another occasion he lent me his manifold so I could get another fabbed up for another project. Always lending a hand as others can attest to. Those are good time memories I will have the rest of my Datsun days. Heck even my little then daughter would always ask me after a run, was Victor there? You will be missed by many on the road! Take care Vic!

Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Folks, no doubt he is one of the great Datsun enthusiast, welling to help where help needed, he will go out of his way to help anyone, even peoples he never met before like myself got help from him many times. Fun run will never be the same without his speed, leadership and inspiration of his wheels. This is a big lost the Datsun community.

Vic, get well soon

vinh

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Howard R wrote:I've already posted my upbeat thoughts on Victor in another post. But, I've got to say that seeing Victor at Solvang was devastating, to say the least. If I hadnt asked if it was him, I would never have recognized him. After visiting with him, my girlfriend cried an so did I. I knew that he was stricken with diabetes. He was considerably overweight, but the last time I saw him he had dropped a considerable amount of weight. He also was a smoker as I once was. Yes, I do have a point, and here it is. Our health is the most important thing we have some measure of control over. To see someone, so young, lose so much to bad health has affected me more than I could ever imagine. I just cant get his image in that wheel chair out of my head. Sorry for such a bummer post, but I just had to air my thoughts.

Well put, Howard, and it is a sad wake-up call for some of us. I had 2 uncles go down that road.
35 years of denial is long enough I start the Chantix this week.
On a hopeful note, people do make some miraculous recoveries, I'm hoping Victor is one of them.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
Potter 15 The Lakester
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:01 pm

dbrick wrote:
Howard R wrote:I've already posted my upbeat thoughts on Victor in another post. But, I've got to say that seeing Victor at Solvang was devastating, to say the least. If I hadnt asked if it was him, I would never have recognized him. After visiting with him, my girlfriend cried an so did I. I knew that he was stricken with diabetes. He was considerably overweight, but the last time I saw him he had dropped a considerable amount of weight. He also was a smoker as I once was. Yes, I do have a point, and here it is. Our health is the most important thing we have some measure of control over. To see someone, so young, lose so much to bad health has affected me more than I could ever imagine. I just cant get his image in that wheel chair out of my head. Sorry for such a bummer post, but I just had to air my thoughts.

Well put, Howard, and it is a sad wake-up call for some of us. I had 2 uncles go down that road.
35 years of denial is long enough I start the Chantix this week.
On a hopeful note, people do make some miraculous recoveries, I'm hoping Victor is one of them.
As many of you know, I work in an ER. I think everyone should spend some time here (in a good way, not on the gurney) because it clearly sharpens what is important in life and what is not. Yes, one has to enjoy life and most of us have some vices, but it is absolutely THE TRUTH that without your health you have nothing... money, status, toys... none of that trumps health. And DO NOT ignore warning signs; just this morning we had a "healthy" appearing female die from a heart attack... she was 42. She had gone on an 18 mile bike ride yesterday and couldn't catch her breath. This morning she called 911 herself, stating that she thought she was having a heart attack. The rig was only a mile away, and we did everything we could to no avail. I see death on a regular basis, but this one brought tears to my eyes as I thought about the family, the husband, and my own fiance and how I would feel.
A stroke is a tragic violation that can affect anyone. Yes, we're all going to die someday, but you DO have some control of when that is, as well as how well you are able to live life for the years you have.
I don't know Victor, and much of his current condition may not have been within his control. But what we can learn is that life is precious and we need to protect ourselves as much as we can. Hug your family, friends and pets. Remember that any arguments, difficulties etc are just silly BS and misunderstanding more often than not, and do what you can to get past them while you still can. You're only in control OF YOURSELF, so don't wait for someone to go first... you be that person. If you don't knock on the door, nobody will ever answer.
Peace.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA

spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:31 pm

You guys are talking about Victor as if he were deceased. I am willing to bet that he is reading the forum. I have never met Victor, and have not seen him now, so I don't have anything to add on that point. That being said, consider what you are posting. To paraphrase Mark Twain, rumors of Victors death have been greatly exaggerated... Yes, the turn in his health is a sad affair, but he CAN make a recovery. I believe that he WILL make a recovery if he wants to. Lets aim for the positive information and not talk about Victor in the past tense...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2000 Durango
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy » Tue May 01, 2012 10:35 pm

^My thoughts exactly, I was a little uncomfortable reading some of these posts.
Best Wishes for a full recovery Victor.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG

Datsun.David
Site Supporter

Post by Datsun.David » Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 pm

I am with SPL310, I talked to Ron and met Victor briefly. Quiet though he was, Ron assured me that he knew what was going on. One of my good friends had a serious stroke 25 years ago and now you would never know. Persistence and strength of spirit. If I win the car, I'll sell it back to Victor when he is ready to drive it again. For $200 (I bought one ticket, and I'm going to have to change the oil at least once.) Plus shipping... or better yet, a return ticket home from Solvang, and I'll drive it back down... Can't promise I won't put some miles on her though...
65 WPL410 - Robin's Egg Blue - 56k miles
67.5 SRL311 #00050 - Silver - SU
68 Roadster Race Car - coming back to life
74 260Z - Silver - Webers
1988 Nissan Be-1 - Pumpkin Yellow
1991 Nissan Figaro - Lapis Grey

Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman » Tue May 08, 2012 2:22 am

I have spent a lot of time with Victor. He is a great guy. he has helped me with my cars, and even personally, more than you could imagine.

Almost all roadster wrenching I have learned. was as a pupil of Victor's. I have always felt honored to have him as a friend.

I haven't spoken to him in a few years with being out of the loop, but can honestly say he is worth any help anyone gives him.

Recover soon Vic! :smt006 You are a strong stubborn man, and I know you can beat this. You have my thanks and gratitude.
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:03 pm

If I win, when Victor starts to drive again he can have the car back for free and I will put him in my will.

I figure I have at most 10-15 more years of driving a roadster....less with competition suspension.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB

Jujuman
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Jujuman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:24 pm

:D Hope the fun run is a blast good luck to all, I would love to have been there. Prayers to victor and all the 311s gang and family, you really are a special group. Look forward to meeting you all in person soon.
Jujuman
67.5 SPL-311-13263
67.5 SPL-311-12442 no motor
69 SRL-311 2L/solex rust bucket.
2007 Expedition EL
Fayetteville NC