Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, garth, S Allen

User avatar
Guy
Roadster Fanatic
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 pm
Location: turlock CA

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by Guy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:55 am

RCMike wrote:When I have driven those roads, they are all but abandoned, no traffic to deal with.. They are very comfortable at the posted speeds or +10... There is good cell service out there. I could think of a few other side turns I would make, b :smt023 ut I tend to drive a little faster. That is a beautiful route..
:smt023 :smt038

I agree

User avatar
mellis18
Site Supporter
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Saratoga Springs, UT

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by mellis18 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Guy wrote:Anyone heading South on Friday, I'v mapped a suggested (DRAFT) Google Map Fun Run Rally

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0437328 ... C1V8?hl=en

Planning to meet at Chevron Hollister 7:30 AM Friday April 22

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chevr ... cffd?hl=en

:smt004
It's a much prettier drive if you don't turn on Black Road, stay on Highway 1, take Clark Avenue off Highway 1, go through through Old Town Orcutt, across the 101 over to Foxen Canyon Road and go down the east side of 101. Plus some really nice wineries along the way...if you're so inclined. :wink:
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311


1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe

User avatar
Guy
Roadster Fanatic
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 pm
Location: turlock CA

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by Guy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:18 pm

mellis18 wrote:
Guy wrote:Anyone heading South on Friday, I'v mapped a suggested (DRAFT) Google Map Fun Run Rally

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0437328 ... C1V8?hl=en

Planning to meet at Chevron Hollister 7:30 AM Friday April 22

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chevr ... cffd?hl=en

:smt004
It's a much prettier drive if you don't turn on Black Road, stay on Highway 1, take Clark Avenue off Highway 1, go through through Old Town Orcutt, across the 101 over to Foxen Canyon Road and go down the east side of 101. Plus some really nice wineries along the way...if you're so inclined. :wink:

Revised Draft map, :?:

User avatar
svwilbur
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:29 am
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by svwilbur » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:25 am

Sounds like a nice ride but it looks like I won't be joining you this time. hope to meet some of you in Solvang if and when I get there with my son and roadster. hoping for no rain that weekend.
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White

User avatar
jonny8
Roadster Fanatic
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:36 am
Location: Belmont, CA

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by jonny8 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:01 pm

I'm going to repeat my route down Highway 1, starting from Belmont then going via 280 to Campbell (via Panera Bread for breakfast) and then Santa Cruz for the Highway 1 run... only broke down twice 2 years ago... what could possibly go wrong???

Anybody else interested in the scenic route?
1965 Roadster 1600

User avatar
Guy
Roadster Fanatic
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 pm
Location: turlock CA

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by Guy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:01 am

svwilbur wrote:Sounds like a nice ride but it looks like I won't be joining you this time. hope to meet some of you in Solvang if and when I get there with my son and roadster. hoping for no rain that weekend.

Hope to see you and your son Stacey, Have you seen this forecast?

https://www.wunderground.com/us/ca/solvang

User avatar
svwilbur
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:29 am
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by svwilbur » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:03 pm

Guy wrote:
svwilbur wrote:Sounds like a nice ride but it looks like I won't be joining you this time. hope to meet some of you in Solvang if and when I get there with my son and roadster. hoping for no rain that weekend.

Hope to see you and your son Stacey, Have you seen this forecast?

https://www.wunderground.com/us/ca/solvang
well that is not good. I hope a big high comes in and blows that all out of tbe way.

I have not had my roadster out in the rain since I bought it 4 years ago.

how much do they leak through a new top or into the engine bay?
any trouble areas to watch out for on roadsters with respect to rain?
I don't know how long my windshield wipers or wiper motor would hold out either.

maybe I will have to get some rainx and treat the windshield.
plus I will need to make sure my lights work good as in california when it rains you have to have your lights on.

im currently working on fuse box and potential wiring issues and oil leaks. I suppose if I fail to fix those I may have to just spectate and drive another vehicle down there in the rain.

that is not good at all... at least it is just showers and low rainfall totals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White

User avatar
bakerjf
Site Supporter
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by bakerjf » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:07 pm

3rd year in a row where rain was forecasted either Friday or Saturday, or both... :(
J. Baker
Cupertino, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)

User avatar
svwilbur
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:29 am
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by svwilbur » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:59 am

I don't want to jinx it but the weather is lookin' much better for Solvang weekend.
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White

User avatar
Kurt
Site Supporter
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: San Jose

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by Kurt » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:25 pm

This route down 25 and beyond looks fun!

I'm thinking leaving San Jose at 9:00. Anyone want to form a second procession...?
San Jose, CA
70 SPL311 (Pumpkin)
67 SRL311 00520

User avatar
mellis18
Site Supporter
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Saratoga Springs, UT

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by mellis18 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:55 pm

Since I won't have my new top installed before this weekend it looks like I'll have to forgo the caravan meet up on Friday. :( Latest forecast call for 70% chance of rain on Friday and 10% on Saturday.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311


1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe

User avatar
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:31 pm
Location: SoAZ

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by msampsel » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:46 pm

I see a 30 percent chance of rain forecast for Friday. This means a 70 % chance it
won't. :D I'm taking the glass is half full optimistic view here!

I'll drive as fast as my wife lets me ... put put put ... LOL

Also packing large beach towels just in case
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)

User avatar
andyb
Roadster Fanatic
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:56 pm
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by andyb » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:02 pm

Matt and I plan on joining dave, she will see some of you on Friday morning.

Safe travels!

User avatar
jonny8
Roadster Fanatic
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:36 am
Location: Belmont, CA

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by jonny8 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:55 am

Kurt wrote:This route down 25 and beyond looks fun!

I'm thinking leaving San Jose at 9:00. Anyone want to form a second procession...?
Where will you be leaving from?

-Alvin
1965 Roadster 1600

User avatar
svwilbur
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:29 am
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by svwilbur » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:59 am

im going to be dodging rain so im just going 101 to get there as fast as possible. some weather shows solvang clear on friday but every other town on the way down shows showers but only like 1/10 th an inch. of course my luck I will hit 20 towns and get it all an end up with 2 inches of water in the roadster!

if it happens to turn out and be real sunny plans may change.
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White