Upper and Lower spindle bushing and spindle install

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, garth, S Allen

OGFAIRLADY
Roadster Fanatic

Upper and Lower spindle bushing and spindle install

Post by OGFAIRLADY »

Hello,

This is my first attempt in changing my upper and lower spindles and bushings. So far i have loosened everything out that need’s to be changed and currently the upper arm is off the car and ready for the spindle and bushing’s. I would like to ask what is the proper way to install the upper / lower bushing’s and spindle’s.

Thank you in advance
Jay Jay
1970 1600
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Upper and Lower spindle bushing and spindle install

Post by Gregs672000 »

Jay, not sure your question got answered... are you talking about the bushings in the ends of the upper and lower A arms? Sounds like it... and they're not easy to get on or off. I had to use an impact wrench and even then it was a struggle...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
roysuecan
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by roysuecan »

I got my lower bushings off with a socket, breaker bar and long piece of pipe as a lever arm. I put the lower a-arm on the floor and stood on it while pushing on the pipe. It worked pretty well.
I didn't remove the upper bushings.
1969 SRL31110811
OGFAIRLADY
Roadster Fanatic

Post by OGFAIRLADY »

Gregs672000 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:28 pm Jay, not sure your question got answered... are you talking about the bushings in the ends of the upper and lower A arms? Sounds like it... and they're not easy to get on or off. I had to use an impact wrench and even then it was a struggle...
Greg, yea I have got some answers, And yes I was talking about the bushings in the ends of the control arms. They are a pain to remove but so far so good I got my upper arm all ready to go and now going to work on the bottom.

Also wanted to ask and confirm that it says 144ft. lbs of torque on the upper bushings. I reached up to 100 and had 44 more to go on both ends and it felt like something would snap. And the spindle felt it was binding so I backed them off and just got them tight enough and spindle centered where there was just little effort to move the spindle freely.
Jay Jay
1970 1600