Oil Gallery plugs and engine wash after machining

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: garth, notoptoy, S Allen

roadsterdude1600
Roadster Nut

Oil Gallery plugs and engine wash after machining

Post by roadsterdude1600 »

OK, I got my 1600 engine block and crankshaft back from the machine shop. I am following instructions in the Scott Sheeler Datsun Roadster Book for rebuilding my engine ('70 1600 stock). Sheeler says " it is essential that the block be washed with hot soap and water by removing the front and rear oil gallery plugs and flushing. I do follow instructions, but now cannot find replacements for the plugs (12.75 mm or .5" in dia) No one has anything like that. I cannot be the first to follow instructions. how do I replace these plugs. I am guessing that I should tap the holes for pipe threads (probably 3/8") I know I am not the first to ask about this, but I cannot find anything in the search. HELP!

Also he says to remove the 4 square plugs in the throws of the crank to flush those oil galleries. I cannot find the plugs in the crankshaft. What am I overlooking? I am feeling a little stupid at this moment. Counting on the group - you always come through!!
Roadsterdude1600
Mike Harper
'66 1600 (Jessie) and 2/3 project roadsters
Camden SC

Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Oil Gallery plugs and engine wash after machining

Post by Nissanman »

Have you looked here: -
https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/s ... nder-block
The oil gallery plugs: -
PLUG-OIL GALLERY, CRANK CASE (BRASS)
11021-13200 1.6L 2 superseded by P/N 11021-30000
Did a web search on that P/N 11021-30000 and behold and lo: -
https://www.courtesyparts.com/oem-parts ... 11024k0100

Screw in plugs really only for a race engine which would be rebuilt on a regular basis: get the genuine OEM brass jobbies from Nissan.
I drill a large hole in the front plug and use a long metal rod to run through the gallery and punch out the rear plug.
Then insert the rod through the rear hole of the block gallerybband punch out the remains of the front plug.

For the crank oil plugs look here: -
https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/s ... crankshaft
PLUG-OIL GALLERY
00931-20610 1.6L 4
P/N discontinued
I wouldn't get too hung up about the gallery in the crank.
Flush it well with de-greaser/kerosene and then general purpose thinners until the solvent comes out nice and clean :idea:
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
http://nissanman.shutterfly.com/117
McQueen!
He's on the road again!

keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

I tap the block gallery for dry-seal plugs. They go in with a hex key. Install with locktite 542 hydraulic seal. I have never removed the crank plugs.

Linda
Roadster Enthusiast
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

So that you don’t scratch the crank, maybe have the machinist take out the plugs. Did the machinist polish the crank? If not that is a good idea, I had that done at a place that specializes in that.
Cam plug, freeze plugs etc should be replaced.
A car wash using Dawn or Tide dishwashing soap works well to blast out the block of debris. Do a few cycles.
Good luck
Linda
68 1600 Los Angeles, CA
New owners must read: the ultimate road trip, by Scott- roadsterroadtrip.com-http://www.roadsterroadtrip.com/index.php/readfromstart

roadsterdude1600
Roadster Nut

Thanks for the replies. I love this forum. Yes, Linda, I did have the crank polished, and it is stunning! The problem is, I have looked and looked and cannot find any plugs in the crank. Maybe I do not know what I am looking for but I only see drillings in the throws for balancing, no square plugs. I am sure pretty sure this engine has never been rebuilt. The car was in pieces when I got it, but the engine did not need any machining. only honed the bores which was in spec so most likely the stock crank. I can take a pic if needed. Where should I look for the plugs??

I initially washed the block but decided that while it was out I needed to bite the bullet and take out the oil gallery plugs, thus this post. If I tap the holes for hex plugs, looks like a 9/16 tapered pipe tap would be needed, and probably drill out to 33/64 before tapping, correct? I am leaning toward just using the brass plugs noted in the post, though the ones removed look like mild steel, but since the block is cast iron, thinking the plugs should be softer than the block...

This is my first engine build, though I have wrenched on these animals for over 40 years, so I feel fine about the several stalls that I will certainly encounter along the way. Part of the Zen thing :D Some of you may remember me posting that I am going to totally rebuild 3 roadsters from parts and pieces I obtained, and this one is first. It was a running car that someone disassembled maybe 20 years ago and never started on. It is pretty much all there and had maybe 52K on the clock, so thought it would be a good first restoration ground up to teach me absolutely everything before I tackle my 43-year owned '66 1600 next. My final build will be a Frankin-Roadster, a 67.5 frame with a '66 body and my choice of about 5 engines/blocks that I have and a 5-speed that is in the 67.5 1600. I am planning to build a stroker in that one. All in good time and I now have plenty of it since COVID. I also now have my dream shop so y'all will be hearing a lot from me as I hit obstacles.I know I should have been posting pics and progress as I have done this build, and I have been lazy, but I do promise for anyone interested to start a thread on that very soon. I am plagued with very slow internet (a hot spot actually) where I now live out in the sticks - but it is worth it! Uploading pictures takes hours plus everything is mail order now :smt005

Thanks for the replies - to the shop...
Roadsterdude1600
Mike Harper
Camden SC

roadsterdude1600
Roadster Nut

Oh, and since you mentioned freeze plugs, just a note that may help someone else. I got Dean's freeze plug package that contains 7 plugs, one large one and 6 smaller 35 MM brass plugs. Well the block has eight holes. The other plug is a 30mm plug in the Oil gallery at the upper right corner of the drivers side of the block. My machine shop removed them all for hot tanking, and I did not have that one. Neither did any local parts places, but after a LOT of research on the Dorman site I believe I found the correct replacement. I will let you know for certain as soon as I press it in. I have one in the freezer now and will put it in after my final wash. I had to buy 10, so I have extras if anyone needs them. The part number is 565-1000 Brass 30 MM 0.301 deep. Looks right - I'll confirm.
Roadsterdude1600
Mike Harper
Camden SC

Linda
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Linda »

Not sure if anyone has done a step be step tutorial on an engine rebuild. If you think of it a few pics along the way would be educational. I haven’t seen the Scott Sheeler book so don’t know how comprehensive that is.
Did you blast out the water jackets? Usually alot of rust sediment in there which is bad for cooling. Now is the time!
You sure have an ambitious agenda with your car projects. Good for you :)
Living out in the sticks sounds great. Cities are overrated LOL , especially these days when there is nothing to do.
I agree with Nissanman on the crank plugs. Just degrease well. Don’t want to mess something up trying to get some plugs out....

Linda
68 1600 Los Angeles, CA
New owners must read: the ultimate road trip, by Scott- roadsterroadtrip.com-http://www.roadsterroadtrip.com/index.php/readfromstart

Habitat.pat
Roadster Nut

Post by Habitat.pat »

I've never seen the crank plugs on a 1.6 crank, only 2L cranks.

Peace,
Pat
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I only have a 2L crank, but I can not remember a crank without plugs. They are there because of the way the oil passages are connected between the mains and rods.
crank.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB

redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

What was machined on the block?

roadsterdude1600
Roadster Nut

There are definitely no plugs on the R-16 crank. I searched at length. Good to know that Scott is referring to the U-20 crank in the book and instructions. No machine work was really necessary on the block. Everything was within spec and I am building it back standard. Plasti-guage confirms that main bearings are .0015 to.002, so it all looks good going back together. The engine was totally unknown to me. Sitting for 20 years or more but the clock showed 52K miles. Hot tanked the block honed the cylinders new cam bearings polished the crank and now going back together. The engine was not abused in prior life. Head was also in great shape. Replacing the valve seals, but straight and good. Wish they all were like this.
Roadsterdude1600
Mike Harper
Camden SC

roadsterdude1600
Roadster Nut

Just an update. Ordered the oil gallery plugs from Courtesy Nissan, not being exactly sure they would work - they could not verify by VIN. They arrived and are a perfect fit. I have installed the front one and will wait until the engine is off the stand to hammer in the back one. Thanks for the find!!
Roadsterdude1600
Mike Harper
Camden SC

Nissanman

Post by Nissanman »

My pleasure!
Those plugs are used in a heap of Nissan engines so they are easy to get as OEM.
McQueen!
He's on the road again!

Linda
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Linda »

So there are no plugs in the R16 crank, correct? But now you are talking about the “freeze” plug-like inserts in the block?
Linda
68 1600 Los Angeles, CA

Nissanman

Post by Nissanman »

They are a soft metal tapered plug fitted in the oil galleries, separate from the freeze (or welch) plugs.
McQueen!
He's on the road again!