Making progress....slowly

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, garth, S Allen

datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Making progress....slowly

Post by datsunrides » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:15 pm

I drove mine about 5 miles before I tore it apart. Sure wasn't expecting 6 years to pass until I could drive it again. However, it was worth the wait! :D

Mark
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)

srl311-04425

Post by srl311-04425 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:03 pm

datsunrides wrote:I drove mine about 5 miles before I tore it apart. Sure wasn't expecting 6 years to pass until I could drive it again. However, it was worth the wait! :D

Mark
I agree 100%!!

:smt004

MC

Skyman

Post by Skyman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:19 am

Well, my last ride was back in 1982. When I bought mine in 2004 it was not driveable. Been around the block a couple of times. Still not legal, so I can't really get it out and run it hard yet.

Mark, your car is looking great. Are you going to cover the wood in the trunk with vinyl like the interior? I think that would look sharp. A thin layer of foam covered by vinyl. Almost a padded look, but thin foam.

Kyle
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2008 Volkswagen R32
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped

datsunrides

Post by datsunrides » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:46 pm

I'm leaning toward doing the back and sides in the material I used for the seats (cloth) and the matching interior carpet for the floor. I like the idea for the thin foam backing.

Mark
1966 Roadster

FoxyRoadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by FoxyRoadster » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:51 pm

datsunrides wrote:I drove mine about 5 miles before I tore it apart. Sure wasn't expecting 6 years to pass until I could drive it again. However, it was worth the wait! :D

Mark

Wish I could have drove mine. I got to push it plenty so I at least know what its like to break down in one. :lol:

datsunrides

Post by datsunrides » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:38 pm

Time to address the only real issue I've had so far. Car tends to run on the hot side when the outside temp goes over around 80, below that, I would say it runs a little on the high side, but I'm comfortable with the temps below 80. Once the temps go over 80, the car is on the brink of overheating and I actually had it steam over one day driving home from work when the outside temp was right at 100! Luckily, a little hose down on the radiator and top up at a gas station brought the temp down low enough to make it the rest of the way home. So, I decided to give the eBay aluminum radiator a try and see if it will help. Ordered it last week and recieved it today. First impression is it looks to be a nice piece. Good workmanship/welding and sturdy mounting flange. The tubes inside seem a little on the small side, but the manufacturer claims it capable of cooling 450hp. It is also substantially lighter than the stock radiator. Here is a couple pics fresh outta the box.

I'm planning to install it tomorrow and (hopefully) give it a good shakedown during the north bay run next weekend. We'll see how it does.

Mark
1966 Roadster

dbrick

Post by dbrick » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:55 pm

Mark, what do you plan to do about not having a filler cap on the radiator? Inline cap on the top hose?

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit

datsunrides

Post by datsunrides » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Well, right now I'm just going to fill it thru the hole in the top of the thermostat housing (that had the vacuum switch) and the rest thru the tee. I have seen a right angle weld on cap adapter on ebay and will get one of those ordered and welded on over the winter. (It will look just like the U20 setup) I would use an inline adapter, but don't have the room due to the air intake pipe being in that area. I am also going to see if I can upsize the exhaust over the winter also. With the 2" system, it runs strong up to about 5K, then starts choking out the turbo. I am going to try for 2 1/2", but real estate is tight under the hood. The frame hole does not concern me. If this radiator works and brings the engine temps down the 10-20 degrees I would like, I need to hit Alvin up for a long overdue dyno run!

Mark
1966 Roadster

ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:44 pm

dbrick wrote:Mark, what do you plan to do about not having a filler cap on the radiator? Inline cap on the top hose?
datsunrides wrote:Well, right now I'm just going to fill it thru the hole in the top of the thermostat housing (that had the vacuum switch) and the rest thru the tee. I have seen a right angle weld on cap adapter on ebay and will get one of those ordered and welded on over the winter. (It will look just like the U20 setup)
Mark
Please post when you do that. I'm not fond of the temp tower/burping method. I'd like a standard fill it/cap on top of the radiator. Really wonder what they were smoking when they designed the existing setup. :smt017
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off in progress. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 - no engine or trans. If I was smart, I would sell it.
A couple of Porsches, a pickup, and a motorcycle

datsunrides

Post by datsunrides » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:33 pm

To update, I could not get the eBay radiator to fit. It's was just that little bit too wide to fit in with all the turbo piping and I was not about to modify the piping to fit the radiator. After some searching and consultations, I bought a Del Sol aluminum radator. It fits in nicely but did require new mounts to be made (it does not bolt in, rather floats on rubber mounts) and some modifications to the hoses to adapt. Got it all bolted up today and took it for a spin to see if it helped. It was a rather cool day, but it did seem to run about 10 degrees cooler than it did with the stock radiator at roughly the same ambient temp. The true test will come as the temps climb above the 80's, where i was having some issues. I did notice when I was "cleaning out the carbon" the temp did go up a bit, but went right back down as soon as I backed off. Hopefully this cures the running hot issue as I really want to take the car to Canby this year and don't have hardly any free time to mess with it for the next few months. Usually I would put a pic or 2 up, but my camera is dead so you'll just have to wait. 8)

Mark
1966 Roadster

datsunrides

Post by datsunrides » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Bringing this back from the dead! Sorry for all the dead links, you can thank Webshots for that. Maybe someday I'll go back and try and upload the corresponding pics. Anyways, I actually did some work on it after a few years. I got tired of trying to pack a few days worth of luggage for 2 and all the other misc stuff you take with you on anything more than a day trip. So I decided I'm going to try towing a small trailer and see how that works. I consulted Mr. Brisco to get some feedback on his project and it sounded good so I went for it. Bought a receiver hitch meant for a 2" tube steel trailer bumper and modified it to fit. basically had to trim a little off the lip of the Roadster frame and cut a couple shims for the top where it bolts through the frame. I also cut about 2 1/2" from the hitch flange so it would tuck up tight under the bumper. Here is the completed hitch.

And the trailer I'm going to tow. Harbor Freight special!

Replaced the heated O2 that shorted last Solvang trip home (Alt overcharged) with a wideband. The meter that came with the SDS was kinda a joke. Now we are going to see what's really up.

Working on installing a better shrouded fan. Still messing with it a little as far as making it work within my engine bay.

That's it for now.

Mark
1966 Roadster

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:11 pm

datsunrides wrote:
Working on installing a better shrouded fan. Still messing with it a little as far as making it work within my engine bay.

That's it for now.

Mark
Mine is a pusher.......more clearance
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB

datsunrides

Post by datsunrides » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Pusher kind of doesn't work with an intercooler in the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 Roadster