The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread.

Post by notoptoy »

A quick search turned up a few options. I never tried the self fusing. I like the standard vinyl, as you can redo portions of the wire as you go to get it perfect.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/?p=catalo ... t=0&year=0

https://www.delcity.net/store/Self!fusi ... Aj-d8P8HAQ
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
garoadsterfan
Roadster Newby

Post by garoadsterfan »

Mainer311 wrote:No captured nuts on the ash tray cover. Screws go through the cover into the plastic handle. It's also not a cutout, it's just a raised boss with two holes.

Hi guys, Sorry for the slow reply, I took a couple days off to bring the kids to the beach for spring break. Here is a pic, thanks for the ideas! Its the small rectangular hole here by the lighter that I don't understand. I may just take it off and have the body shop patch it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Am currently caretaker of:
67.5 1600 restored
69 2000 nearly "complete"
Vinnyz
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vinnyz »

garoadsterfan wrote:
Mainer311 wrote:No captured nuts on the ash tray cover. Screws go through the cover into the plastic handle. It's also not a cutout, it's just a raised boss with two holes.

Hi guys, Sorry for the slow reply, I took a couple days off to bring the kids to the beach for spring break. Here is a pic, thanks for the ideas! Its the small rectangular hole here by the lighter that I don't understand. I may just take it off and have the body shop patch it
Someone at some point cut a switch hole there....nicely done I'll admit. But not stock.
73' Datsun 240-Z turbo
70' Datsun SRL-311-1374-SR20det 6 speed
69' Datsun SRL-311-12334-Solex 44 w/B cam
07' BMW Z4 coupe-Daily
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by greydog »

no doubt for nitrous arming toggle....
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
garoadsterfan
Roadster Newby

Post by garoadsterfan »

Thanks guys. you're probably right about the toggle switch hole. the PO had a makeshift horn button on the underside of column as well. my favorite modification he did, the car was hit in the right front corner at some point, so he replaced the fender with a used one which is good. but he replaced the damaged grille with one from a 1600. now I'll have to get a second job to afford a nice 2000 grille assy....
Its funny - I have had my low windshield 1600 for a few years now and everyone around here that sees it says "nice car, too bad its not a 2000!" and now that I have a 2L, everyone asks if its a 1600 bc of the grille.
67.5 1600 restored
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Maybe you can utilize the hole for a USB connector for all 21st century stuff!
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Hey how do you get into that cubby area between the wiper sprayers and inside can ? Is there a spot in there ? Pls . Water/now rain has been over it's still getting damp/ still showing at my feet and I can't see where it's coming from .
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

garoadsterfan wrote:

Clearly this is the super rare, secret James Bond version of the ash tray cover... it's for the ejector seat switch, passenger side. Fortunately for your passenger, it was removed. Like I said, very rare item, I think you should keep it, put a switch in there and label it properly... you know, like "Warp drive" or "traffic torpedo" or simply "gun"...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Sorry thought I started another thread . .
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
garoadsterfan
Roadster Newby

Post by garoadsterfan »

lol, I thought it was for spraying an oil slick for the posse chasing you. like old school spy hunter

67.5 1600 restored
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Can anyone post pictures of the original screws that hold the stainless side trim strips on the 66-67 radio console? On one side you have sheet metal screws and the other machine screws. I'm in particular interested in the head of the screw and whether it is a pan head or countersunk.

I have some countersunk sheet metal screws and of course they sink in to the stainless trim. Doesn't make sense since the sheet metal is flat.

Thanks.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

Curtis wrote:Can anyone post pictures of the original screws that hold the stainless side trim strips on the 66-67 radio console? On one side you have sheet metal screws and the other machine screws. I'm in particular interested in the head of the screw and whether it is a pan head or countersunk.

I have some countersunk sheet metal screws and of course they sink in to the stainless trim. Doesn't make sense since the sheet metal is flat.

Thanks.
I backed out a screw from mine and it is not countersunk. I took no photo though.
If you really want a photo I can take one.
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

msampsel wrote:
Curtis wrote:Can anyone post pictures of the original screws that hold the stainless side trim strips on the 66-67 radio console? On one side you have sheet metal screws and the other machine screws. I'm in particular interested in the head of the screw and whether it is a pan head or countersunk.

Thanks.
I backed out a screw from mine and it is not countersunk. I took no photo though.
If you really want a photo I can take one.
Yes please. Original right?
66 stroker, almost done.
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

Well certainly more so than the crank, flywheel and cam :D . Pretty sure this is the original screw, enjoy.
Try getting this patina on yours ... :shock:
P1040580.JPG
P1040581.JPG
P1040582.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

msampsel wrote:Well certainly more so than the crank, flywheel and cam :D . Pretty sure this is the original screw, enjoy.
Try getting this patina on yours ... :shock:

P1040580.JPG

P1040581.JPG

P1040582.JPG
Thanks. So I just went to the parts manual like I should have in the first place and it shows a screw and washer on each side. So that answers that question along with your pictures. Thanks.
66 stroker, almost done.