The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ralph
Site Supporter

Re: The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread.

Post by Ralph »

Lost my "A" from the hood letters. 1) are there differences in the "font" from suppiers 2) Can I just get one letter? 3) Can I still be Canadian with out my "eh"?
Ralph

Rolling restoration of white 1968 SPL311
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

Ralph wrote:3) Can I still be Canadian with out my "eh"?
As long as you share copious amounts of poutine.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
spags1986
Roadster Fanatic

Post by spags1986 »

Does anyone have a list of bolt sizes and thread pitches for a u20 engine? Kinda like we have in wiki for the frames? Looking to replace all the bolts on the motor in a yellow zinc finish.
1967.5 2000 (In Frame off restoration)
1966 1600
1969 2000
PandaBoy
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by PandaBoy »

I took my roadster out for it's first extended drive after the winter lay off & noticed that the amp gauge in the dash was going up over the 30 mark when driving & hovering at the 30 mark at idle. When I opened the hood I found battery acid in the rubber tray under the battery so obviously my battery is being way overcharged.
I have a replacement voltage regulator that came from the PO but the codes are different on the cover. Can anyone tell me if these two voltage regulators are interchangeable? My current one is on the left, the possible replacement is on the right.
Car is a 69 2L with solex.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Borysenko
Ridgeway, ON Canada
1969 SRL311-10641
1990 Porsche 928 S4
2007 Infiniti FX45
2009 Infiniti FX50S
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

Ralph wrote:Lost my "A" from the hood letters. 1) are there differences in the "font" from suppiers 2) Can I just get one letter? 3) Can I still be Canadian with out my "eh"?
You'll figure it "ooout" aye?
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

So the tech wiki has a torque value of 35 ft/lbs for the clutch to flywheel.
Does this means the 6 bolts which hold the pressure plate in place?

Trying to eliminate all ambiguity and confusion before the heat of battle.
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

msampsel wrote:So the tech wiki has a torque value of 35 ft/lbs for the clutch to flywheel.

I can't think of anything else that it could be, so I'd go with that assumption.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

PandaBoy wrote:I took my roadster out for it's first extended drive after the winter lay off & noticed that the amp gauge in the dash was going up over the 30 mark when driving & hovering at the 30 mark at idle. When I opened the hood I found battery acid in the rubber tray under the battery so obviously my battery is being way overcharged.
I have a replacement voltage regulator that came from the PO but the codes are different on the cover. Can anyone tell me if these two voltage regulators are interchangeable? My current one is on the left, the possible replacement is on the right.
Check the "bat" wire on your alternator to be sure the insulation (between the post there and the alternator case) is still good.
I had a similar problem long ago (over charging) and it occurred because the insulation on the positive lead on the alternator was getting close to ground. One day going over a railroad track (with stiff suspension) it went dead short. If I did not have a cuttoff switch for anit-theft the whole car might have caught on fire.

I can't tell you about your regulator, but you should be somewhere between 13.5 - 14.5 volts on your battery when charging at 2000 rpm IIRC.
Over 15 volts is too high.
Somewhere I saw a test for VREG pins in terms of ohms etc. blew it off because I've not had a Vreg for a while now.
devo
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by devo »

PandaBoy wrote:I took my roadster out for it's first extended drive after the winter lay off & noticed that the amp gauge in the dash was going up over the 30 mark when driving & hovering at the 30 mark at idle. When I opened the hood I found battery acid in the rubber tray under the battery so obviously my battery is being way overcharged.
Not sure about that VR, but the solid state Airtex/Wells 1V1250 works like a champ in my '66. Also listed as being correct for your '69 2L. $34 at rockauto.com
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

Mainer311 wrote:
msampsel wrote:So the tech wiki has a torque value of 35 ft/lbs for the clutch to flywheel.

I can't think of anything else that it could be, so I'd go with that assumption.
I looked at pictures of the bolts in the pp/flywheel and convinced myself they are big enough to handle 35 ft pounds.

Thanks
PandaBoy
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by PandaBoy »

msampsel wrote:
Check the "bat" wire on your alternator to be sure the insulation (between the post there and the alternator case) is still good.
I had a similar problem long ago (over charging) and it occurred because the insulation on the positive lead on the alternator was getting close to ground. One day going over a railroad track (with stiff suspension) it went dead short. If I did not have a cuttoff switch for anit-theft the whole car might have caught on fire.
Thanks, checked insulator & OK. I may post this under the "identify parts" forum. to see if anybody cab help with the VR.
Michael Borysenko
Ridgeway, ON Canada
1969 SRL311-10641
1990 Porsche 928 S4
2007 Infiniti FX45
2009 Infiniti FX50S
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

What type of insulator is that on the B (Battery) hot wire? Would be nice to be able to replace as needed.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
spags1986
Roadster Fanatic

Post by spags1986 »

Starting the rebuild on my u20.... HOW DO I REMOVE THE JACKSHAFT 2 PIECE BEARING? Wondering if there is any special process or tips one can share. Thank you! Also when installing the new 1 piece I know to match up the oil holes but what is the best process to push them in?
1967.5 2000 (In Frame off restoration)
1966 1600
1969 2000
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

Linda wrote:What type of insulator is that on the B (Battery) hot wire? Would be nice to be able to replace as needed.

Linda
Well on a GM alternator it's plastic the red ring keeps the output isolated from the case. Most are plastic now. My old Nissan was I think a fiber board type. Not sure it resisted sulfuric acid too well. Plastic certainly does those per the battery case
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

No mention on torque values for four speed under cover plate anywhere. I'm thinking 5 ft/lbs seems about right.

Anyone torqued their cover on?