Hi all! New Owner!

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

hoa_nugin
Roadster Newby

Hi all! New Owner!

Post by hoa_nugin »

Hi everyone.
I just recently puchased a 1970 1600 roadster. It has original parts and needs a lot of elbow grease. There seems to be a lot of great information on here, a little overwhelming at times. I'll try to search first before asking questions.

The restoration process seems like its going to take forever. But I'll just have to take it one step at a time. First step- wash the car and try to buff the existing paint to see if I can get any shine to it. I am sure I will have plenty of questions when the time comes. Hopefully I can meet with some locals and ask them some quesitons.

One thing of interest that I cant find much information on are KA24 engine swaps. I am trying to get my hands on wiring diagrams and motor mounts. From what I understand, most swappers fab their own mounts, but what do they use? Do they start off from scratch or do they modify existing mounts found on other cars? I'll do some more digging on the forums but I would appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction. Thanks!

One more thing. I have white interior(seats and door panels) is that stock? Or did a previous owner do some work on it? Thanks again!
pic 1.JPG
pic 2.JPG

-Hoa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 1600 Roadster- Purchased Nov. 2008

sr20 swap pending
completion goal = Summer 2011
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Hi all! New Owner!

Post by fj20spl311 »

Hoa,
Read over as many of the conversions (SR20, KA24, Zetec ...) as you can and I know you get a good idea of what is involved...Making the mounts for the engine and frame are some of the easiest parts of the conversion.....Making the pretty is another matter LOL. For wiring on the ECU try the 510 forums....there are people on those forums offering conversions of the stock ECU wiring loom to fit a 510 (not a problem to convert to a roadster IIRC. If you want to see my FJ20 conversions or need some supervision LOL email me as I am in San Diego. I must warn you that I am not big on keeping this "stock"
Phil
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Kevin Desirello
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Kevin Desirello »

I would suggest doing a sr20de or sr20det.
I'm I the riverside area and could do one for you.
Check out the posts regaurding (Is a rodster with a sr20det very streetable) and you can see my work on the silver car I did for Victor.
I'm sure more will chime in on the sr20 swaps.
Kevin D.
http://www.krdroadsters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/KrdKevinsRestorableDatsuns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
68 2L 01727 SR20DE
68 2L 01731 stock
67.5 2L 491 stock solex
64 1500 02104C SR20DE
63 Wagon SR20DE S14 auto
LI Roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by LI Roadster »

hi and welcome.

nice pick up... I vote for stock since I am partial to that sort of thing
1969 2000 Roadster
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

fj20spl311 wrote: For wiring on the ECU try the 510 forums....there are people on those forums offering conversions of the stock ECU wiring loom to fit a 510 (not a problem to convert to a roadster IIRC.l
The two major places for 510 swappers are the510Realm.com and Ratsun.net. Ratsun has a How to Wire a KA/SR/CA into Anything how-to:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=549

There's pluses and minuses with every swap, and many folks with their own opinion on what's "best." Read, listen, digest, then pull the trigger. We're here to help.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

ppeters914 wrote:
fj20spl311 wrote: For wiring on the ECU try the 510 forums....there are people on those forums offering conversions of the stock ECU wiring loom to fit a 510 (not a problem to convert to a roadster IIRC.l
The two major places for 510 swappers are the510Realm.com and Ratsun.net. Ratsun has a How to Wire a KA/SR/CA into Anything how-to:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=549

There's pluses and minuses with every swap, and many folks with their own opinion on what's "best." Read, listen, digest, then pull the trigger. We're here to help.

YEA What he said......Also Dimequarterly.com Lots of helpful people hear the on the other forums.

I was not going to chime in on which conversion. "Read, listen, digest, then pull the trigger."
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

The most thorough step-by-step KA24 install with tons of pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/riazabzal02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Continued here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/riazabzal03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KA24E:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another one:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just visit the "engine swap" part of the forum for more info, good luck

ps you'll note that stock roadster mounting tabs remain in place. Fabricated engine mounts using 510 isolator pads are pretty much the standard.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
truedog
Roadster Fanatic

Post by truedog »

hoa_nugin wrote:....... First step- wash the car and try to buff the existing paint to see if I can get any shine to it.....

Try Nu-Finish. It comes in a orange bottle and is available everywhere. It is polishing compound and wax in one. It will bring up a nice shine on badly oxidized paint.
hoa_nugin
Roadster Newby

Post by hoa_nugin »

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was leaning more towards the SR20DE motor, but I was having a really hard time locating one. I would much rather do a SR swap because I've heard its a more refined eninge and is more reliable. Theres also a ton of information on the swap that I find online(mostly posted by Michael from Spriso) plus already made motor mounts and alternator mounts made by spriso . If I can get my hands on an SR motor, I would probably go that route. Of course this will not be until later down the road. The project is just in its early planning stages.
Alvin wrote:The most thorough step-by-step KA24 install with tons of pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/riazabzal02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Continued here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/riazabzal03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KA24E:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another one:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just visit the "engine swap" part of the forum for more info, good luck

ps you'll note that stock roadster mounting tabs remain in place. Fabricated engine mounts using 510 isolator pads are pretty much the standard.
Alvin, I saw those links before when i was searching, but they dont work for me. I click on them and it tells me that the board is currently unavailable.

Kevin Desirello wrote:I would suggest doing a sr20de or sr20det.
I'm I the riverside area and could do one for you.
Check out the posts regaurding (Is a rodster with a sr20det very streetable) and you can see my work on the silver car I did for Victor.
I'm sure more will chime in on the sr20 swaps.
Kevin D.
Kevin, could you ballpark me an estimate of how much a job like that would cost? I have a good friend that might be able to do some work for me. But I would rather someone experienced with Datsuns to be doing this type of job.

Does anyone know if the white interior I have is stock?
Here is a pic of the interior
pic 3.JPG
Thank you all again for your responses. I really appreciate em. Hopefully I can get this bad boy back on the road soon.

-Hoa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sr20 swap pending
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

White interior is not stock. Welcome!

I'll offer up the advice we usually give to new owners - get it running first and drive it. Many of these cars are torn down just after purchase and never see the road again.
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
hoa_nugin
Roadster Newby

Post by hoa_nugin »

shifty wrote:White interior is not stock. Welcome!

I'll offer up the advice we usually give to new owners - get it running first and drive it. Many of these cars are torn down just after purchase and never see the road again.
Cool thanks. Thats what I plan on doing for the time being. The car runs. It made it 70 miles home. Its leaking oil pretty bad, but still driveable. I just need to top it off every once in a while. Like I said, the project is in its early stages of planning. Right now it just needs some TLC. Thanks!

-Hoa

sr20 swap pending
kogi
Roadster Fanatic

Post by kogi »

shifty wrote: I'll offer up the advice we usually give to new owners - get it running first and drive it. Many of these cars are torn down just after purchase and never see the road again.
best advice ever shifty... "drive it" and enjoy the ride while the weather is nice... and if you have the room... gather much of the stuff you need before breaking it down...
ken
66 spl311
san marcos, ca
kogi
Roadster Fanatic

Post by kogi »

hoa_nugin wrote: Its leaking oil pretty bad, but still driveable. I just need to top it off every once in a while. Like I said, the project is in its early stages of planning. Right now it just needs some TLC. Thanks!

-Hoa
yea... i think... the oil leak and the rust is part of the datsun's dna :shock:
ken
66 spl311
san marcos, ca
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

hoa_nugin wrote: I was leaning more towards the SR20DE motor ... because I've heard its a more refined engine and is more reliable.
Define reliable. Plenty of folks with reliable stock motors as well as L-series, rotaries, KA's, CA's, VG's, Ford Zetec, Ford V8, etc. Oh yeah....Phil's FJ.
hoa_nugin wrote:Alvin, I saw those links before when i was searching, but they dont work for me. I click on them and it tells me that the board is currently unavailable.
That's because those links all point to the old 2.0 version of the forum. They work if you edit the links from phpBB2 to phpBB3.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
hoa_nugin
Roadster Newby

Post by hoa_nugin »

ppeters914 wrote: That's because those links all point to the old 2.0 version of the forum. They work if you edit the links from phpBB2 to phpBB3.
Cool thanks! Links work fine now.

sr20 swap pending