I HATE COMPICATIONS!!!!!!!

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

I HATE COMPICATIONS!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

I assume most of you have experienced the never-ending complications that are encountered when you are "almost there". Now, after I removed the distributor to get the oil pump to "pump", I can't find the way to engage back the dist in the right orientation. I even followed the steps on the site's section................help!

Jorge
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Lining Up After Distributor Pull

Post by S Allen »

Jorge,

Make sure the motor is at top dead center on the number one piston. Line up the timing mark on the front pulley with the timing indicator. Pull the number one spark plug and make sure the piston is right there. Take a look at the distributor drive gear. If it is off pull the distributor drive gear that meshes with the cam and the oil pump. You need to orient it and the oil pump drive so either the small lobe points forward or back. The problem lies in the fact that you need to have the distributor drive gear off to the right a tad bit so when it meshes with the drive gear on the cam it rotates to the left and drops in. If you get it off it can cause you problems. --But then I guess you already know that. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it just right. Maybe someone else has an easier way but this has worked for me numerous times.

Steve
Last edited by S Allen on Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by Guest »

I will go back to it and try what you describe....now that I am more calmde and my patience had time to refuel!

THANKS AGAIN STEVE!

Jorge

Post by Guest »

Steve:

I once again tried to engage the drive correctly, but when I do as you say (which is how I read everywhere too), the dist. rotor doesn't end pointing at #1, but between #1 and #3, closer to #1 though....is that right?
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Dsitributor Problems

Post by S Allen »

Jorge it should line up real close to #1. It sounds as though you are off a tooth. You may have to pull the distributor drive again and using a long flat tip screwdriver rotate the oil pump drive back a touch so you can move the drive back a notch. It can be very frustrating some times. Hang there. You will get it.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth