Willows Speedway

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

millertime

Willows Speedway

Post by millertime »

I found out that a Auto wrecking in Pearson had 5 roadsters 3 low windshield and 2 high windshield. So I planned Saturday to drive up there and see what was still left on them. It is a 6 hr round trip or so. Well I got there and walked the cars with one of the helpers not a ton of stuff but 2 bumpers in ok shape, a 1500 grill, a 2000, beat to heck and missing emblem, 1 soft top frame for a low car etc.... Well The owner walked the cars with me and the prices he stated were higher then I thought was reasonable. Quote ( I dont run a Pick up parts, I know what these are worth !!) ahem let them rot for all I care I can do better on E-bay. Well I was dispointed to say the least.
On the way back I spotted an Alfa on a trailer at gas station and I found I was by Willows Speedway so what the heck I had my Digital Camera ( was gonna photo junkers and post pics for others interested ) and I figured I can salvage the day by getting some pics of the Alfa Club racing.

Well It was Porsche day as well and there was a guy who had a Z who was a member. Figure that you dont have to own a Porsche to belong. Great Guys!!

The Highlight of the day was running into Todd who had his Datsun Roadster. It is a High car, not sure of the year. He is running a U20 with Solex's. Man I ma ramblin on......

Pictures are posted anyone wants to look please do. 2 albums

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadsterz

Derek
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Races

Post by SLOroadster »

Todd has a 69 2000, and Steve McConnel has the 280Z. Steve runs the Central Coast Z Club. At some point I will get some pictures developed from a run I did at the begining of the year with Steve and some others.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Alan Duquette

Willow Springs International Raceway

Post by Alan Duquette »

You discovered a great track! And it's Willow Springs International Raceway. Built in 1953 in Rosamond California in the Mojave desert. I've been visiting for about 20 years now. You can't find a better, funner, road course in the entire USA! I suggest that you visit again for the Vintage Auto Racing Association (VARA) or Historic Sports Car Racing West (HSCR) West events. There is so much racing history here I can't even begin to tell you. Big bore cars will near an honest 150mph at the end of the front stretch. In Nov. 2004 a vintage big-block 427 McLaren touched 170mph. Nice pics.