Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Hub and Rotor

Post by Linusrp »

The saying;' Say nothing and be thought of as a fool, speak and remove all doubt' fits here. I can't seem to get the front rotors off the front hubs I've removed. I have removed all the bolts but can't get either to budge. Anyone have a solution? I don't want to damage the hubs, the rotors I intend on replacing anyway. Thanks for your help. :shock:
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried
oilleak

Post by oilleak »

It's a press fit. Take them to a machine shop and have them press them off.
Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic

Thanks

Post by Linusrp »

That explains it. I thought I might have to do that. Thanks.
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried
TR

Post by TR »

They are not a true press fit, but a very snug locating fit that usually rusts in place...

A bit of penetrant and some rubber mallet (or enforcer and wooden drift) work should take them off unless they are really stuck...TR
Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic

I'll try that when I get a moment.

Post by Linusrp »

Thanks Travis. These are the same front hubs from last fall that were part of the front suspension I bought. I am just getting around to taking the hubs off the rotors. I used everything else and just set these aside. I finally decided I would take them apart, then couldn't. I did squart them down with penetrating oil and hit them a couple of times with just such a rubber mallet, but didn't have much luck. I might try soaking them again this weekend now that they have sat for a couple of weeks. I thought they might just be rusted but wasn't sure if there was something I was missing. The 'pressed' answer enlightened me, and I thought I would take them in when I had the time. I'll try myself again first though. Thanks again for your suggestion.
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried
70MTroadster

hubs

Post by 70MTroadster »

Thought I would weigh in here. It took me 30 minutes apiece to seperate the discs from the hubs. Used Kroil penetrating oil, then my dead-blow plastic machining hammer to beat them into submission. Had to work one side, then the other until they came apart. You can do it...have fun :twisted:

Scott in Spokane now
piddling along on the Stroker Motor
TR

Post by TR »

How funny, life has been so busy for me that I forgot that you bought those from me, I didn't put it together...I hope you are happy with the parts.

Anyways-if you are not going to keep the rotors, support the hub with some wood and whack the rotors with a big hammer. I usually will put a thin piece of wood between to keep the noise down and not tramatize the hubs too much...

Kroil is not to be underestimated or categorized as another WD40...It works so much better, I recommend it to everyone! TR
Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic

Suspension Parts

Post by Linusrp »

Travis,

The entire front suspension parts were fantastic. I did replace the upper and lower bushings, seals, bearings, etc. , but the ball joints, arms, everything else was great. I have a new set of rotors I want to mount on the hubs, but that's were I stand now. I also rebuildt a set of front calipers, cylinders and will be mounting those too. I have been beyond satisfied as everything cleaned up great. By the way, do you still have your wiring harness? Thanks again.
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried
TR

Post by TR »

With the move and all of the various house upgrades I have been completing, my car time has been limited...I have recently unboxed and moved all of my wiring harness bits to the forefront, so i would bet another month and a half and I will have it all rewired...

Glad you are happy with the parts! I really like hearing that people have used the items I send out to get another roadster back on the road! TR