R-1600 ...Running POORLY! ..Need help BADLY!!!! ..Please

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Copperhead

R-1600 ...Running POORLY! ..Need help BADLY!!!! ..Please

Post by Copperhead »

Okay guys ..here's the lowdown. ...Recently overhauled. Runs really crappy.

I've properly synchronized my dual SUs ..still runs aweful! ...at "FULL LEAN".. it runs decent ..however.. after passing 300 or so RPMs.. it begins backfiring through the carburators!!! I richen it up... it runs crappy ..but does well on the highway --and no carb-back firing.

What's the deal with this insanity?!?!?! ...bad ignition coil ..plugs.. valves.. timing.. ....fubar carbs?!?!???? ..I'm really stumped on this one guys. ..Need help asap, please. I've tried everything I can think of, short of the firing system. Vacuum line seems to be in check.......

How many volts does the R16 ignition coil use? ..might try to replace it ---if that is affordable.

Thank you very much.

Brent

ANY and ALL help is appreciated. ..thank you.
toolsnob

R16

Post by toolsnob »

It has been my past experience that when the R16 is running poorly that 90% of the time it is not the carbs, it is the ignition system. I always started to make sure the lashing on the rockers is set. How old is your distributor? They wear out and replacing can make a night and day change. You can pick them up for $150 or so refurbished from Nissan. Check your timing advance!!

Alexi
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Poor Runing 1600

Post by S Allen »

Yeah, I concur with Alexi. Check the shaft the rotor sits on in the distributor. If you have any play at all your car will never run properly. Those bushing wear out. I had one like that and it would idle fine but when you gave it some gas it ran like -hit! Good luck.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Copperhead

R16 running..

Post by Copperhead »

Distributor is over 35 years old lol ...it's the origional one, as far as I know. So this is likely the problem.. Hmmm...

So if I grab ahold of the rotor,.. and twist it back and forth ..and lets say it moves 1/8-1/2"... it's ruined? ....I feel a little stupid. I thought a little play was normal.. Oh well!!

Crap.. $150 is alotta money right now! ...is there any way I can rebuild what I have??

Thank you for all your help. ..Much appreciated.

Brent Williams
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:1600 Running Poorly

Post by S Allen »

Brent,

There should not be any play in the shaft. I suppose you could order the parts from one of the vendors to save some bucks. I have a very slightly used one I can let you have for $85.00 including shipping. It is the early non-smog type. I will never use it.
Or I suppose I could send it to you and you could try it out to see if it actually helps then you could pay me or send it back to me if that is not the problem. Trusting soul aren't I? :roll:

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
toolsnob

Distributor

Post by toolsnob »

A new refurbished distributor from Herb Petty (modesto, CA) is $140 plus shipping. Plus it is a Nissan product so you know it is done right! Herb 209-521-0746.
impinhigh
Certified Roadster Nut

vacuum advance?

Post by impinhigh »

I just posted a very similar problem on the mail list yesterday for a friend. It turned out his vacuum advance was not working at all. He's decided to install a GB EI dizzy.

Matt