Gauges On SR20DET/KA24DET Roadsters

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

TR

Post by TR »

It's a tough call, Guest...

I hate the fact that my car isn't all original, I love the reliability and horsepower...And it sure is fun to drive...

TR
toolsnob

Guages

Post by toolsnob »

TR,

I will take you up on that . I would still like to take a ride to feel the power!

It is too bad that a person who cannot sign in under their own name criticizes your car when they probably do not have one of their own or the talent to build one!

Alexi.

Hopefully I will have my motor in next month!
TR

Post by TR »

Hey everyone that is interested, I found a little box in the garage...It says "Pinion Assy" and has the number 3270258S18 on it. It is a direct bolt in for the electronic sender and the 66 speedo cable threads right onto it. Note that I think my speedo runs a bit high as I described earlier...

Alexi-We'll have to take a drive to the nearest burrito joint! I should have gone for the drive today, it looked like the weather got much better and my wife had a huge list of things to do, even if I was sick...TR
toolsnob

Gauges

Post by toolsnob »

TR,

Next time if you think that your axle bearing is going and your wife wants you home I would suggest taking the drive and risking the rearend!

We should meet sometime soon and talk! Thanks for the offer. Cell 7074780997

Alexi
toolsnob

Post by toolsnob »

I am not going to keep this argument up. It is a shame that you are not capable to modernize your own car (if you own one) and that you hide behind the fact.

Why not become legit and sign in?
TR

Post by TR »

An interesting point of view...But, engine transplants happen in all kinds of vehicles all the time. All it takes is someone capable of carrying through with all of the custom fabrication (or simply paying for it ala Jay Leno). Is there magic, no...Just a lot of problem solving and hard work. Ooohh and Ahhh in a good swap to me is how they solved the install with ingenuity and perserverence.

Some people like to keep their solutions and vendors a secret, this is how business' make money and race teams excel. Their secrets are the payoff for the research dollar. As for me, I'd gladly tell anyone how they can accomplish something. If I find a good vendor, I'm sharing the contact with everyone. In doing good work, the vendor has earned my referral and any/all business it brings and I like to see other people happy by the simple conversion of good money for good work.

That's all from my soapbox, to each his own...TR
toolsnob

Transplants

Post by toolsnob »

TR,

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't feel that people should have to reinvent the wheel everytime. We all prosper collectively when we help each other out and we all end up with better running/lasting cars and friendships in the end.

Alexi
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

"Kinda teenager"? Watch it old man, I've got 4 of those punk kid lookin' gauges going into my new center console this week! You're really going to shake your fist at me like a grouchy old geezer when you find out that center console is carbon fiber. Just giving you a hard time. :lol: It will look tasteful, I promise. To each his own, that's what I say.

Actually, I looked and looked for a reasonable set of "vintage" looking gauges. VDO makes a set that I absolutely love. Problem is, it's tough to find that style offered with boost and fuel pressure (up to 50 Psi) gauges. I've had a complete set of the Autometer Ultra Lites in my 74 Mazda rotary pickup for years. They are reasonably priced and hold up to some serious punishment. So, what the heck. For the speedo and tach, I would like to stick with the stock ones so I don't have to chop up the dash. Looks like I can get the speedo to work with that sender TR posted. As for the tach, I'm in the same boat you all are in!
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Autolite Ultra Lite Gauges

Post by S Allen »

I have them in my stroker with a carbon fiber dash and I like 'em. And I will putting in the same only with white faces on the 65 project. Different strokes for different folks. :shock:

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
TR

Post by TR »

Now I have to admit to my "punk, I want to be cool" nature...Firstly, I am making every effort to keep the stock gauges. As odd as it may seem, I like my car to look stock, even though opening the hood brings an image that is so far from stock! But, If I had my choice of aftermarket gauges I would go with the carbon fiber ones. The boost gauge I bought is from the carbon fiber series...Now I absolutely hate fake carbon fiber (carbon fibber), and who in their right mind would use it to build gauges?! To me, there is nothing more funny than a really nice motorcycle that some putz has put a carbon fibber panels on...But, what I like about these gauges is the silver needle. I've never liked the day glo orange needles of most aftermarket gauges. If I could get the silver needles over a black face, I would seriously consider stopping the insanity of trying to get the stock gauges to work...TR
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

My favorite carbon fibber (or farbon ciber as we call it up here) story is the poor kid at the import drags about 5 years ago. He had paid someone an outrageous amount of money (I think it was $700 or $800) to build him a carbon fiber hood. I asked him why. His explanation was in a "you are so stupid" tone. "Because it's lighter than steel." OK, fine. But did you notice that they laid the carbon fiber over the top of the existing steel hood? :lol:
Dave Kaplan

TR

Post by TR »

Now I'm laughing out loud at my desk and my dog is looking at me funny...That is classic! I heard the same thing from a guy with a very nice Ducati, spared no expense, had to explain to him that the panels weren't lighter if it was just a carbon looking sticker over the stock panels...TR
Dave
Turbo Powered

Post by Dave »

Maybe the carbon look stick on panels were covering the road rash from when he laid it down! :lol:
Dave Kaplan