What is the cost to powdercoat wheels?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

roadstermike
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

What is the cost to powdercoat wheels?

Post by roadstermike »

I have a set of 8 spoke watanabes wheels that need to cleaned up. I thought about powdercoating or painting. Does anyone have an idea on the cost of powdercoating wheels. Also, Im not sure what the rims are made of (they are light), would the process damage them? Thanks for any insight.
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Powder Coating

Post by S Allen »

It really depends on where you are. California tends to run a lot higher than say the mid-west. I paid a shy under $500 to have all of the exterior chrome on my 72 Z powder coated black. That included the front and rear bumpers, grill, window trims, rear tailight panels and lots of small bits and pieces. I would say some where around $150.00 would be fair. Call a couple of local powder coaters and get an estimate. They do rims all the time. As long as it is metal it can be powder coated. Good luck!

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Crazy Backyard Builder
Roadster Nut

Post by Crazy Backyard Builder »

I just had a set of 4 of those done last month, I had them done at a local place that blasted and powdered them in side and out for $50.00 each. Hope that helps.

Brian
toolsnob

Powder coating wheels

Post by toolsnob »

My friend just had 2 sets done and they were $60 a piece. They did the insides, back and front. All the area except for the polished lip. They turned out nice! Another thing to consider if you want a glossy look is to have them clear coated also. Just beware that rocks can chip the clear coating off over a period of time.
84TAVeRT

Post by 84TAVeRT »

you can have em coated with clear powder... then wetsand the clear powder for a shine...
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

wheels

Post by SLOroadster »

The one thing you have to be carefull about is getting bubbles in the clearcoat. I know of a set of beautiful ARE Libras that are polished and powder coated, but the clear bubbled. Once that happens, you can't do anything about it other than start over. When I redid my Libras, I polished the outter lip of the rim, then had the spokes beadblasted. Then I just clearcoated the beadblasted area leaving the polished area unpainted. The textured surface won't bubble. Powdercoating will also do strange things if left in the sun (it could fade, change colors ect.) I have painted and polished a lot of stuff, and after my friends wheels came back with bubbles, I am a little less inclined to have a polished surface podercoated.

Just my $.02,

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!