UNDERCOAT OPTIONS

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

UNDERCOAT OPTIONS

Post by Guest »

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year! I wanted to ask for your input on the issue of undercoating....I removed all the old undercoating from my '68 Roadster, and except for 3 small rust pits on the driver's side floor panel, everything is in very good condition. I fixed the holes and coated with POR-15 everything down there, but don't know if I should also coat it with the tar goo kind of thing it had originally, or just leave it with the POR-15 coat.

Any ideas? And if so....what and where can I get a comparable undercoating product?

Thanks!

Jorge
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Undercoating

Post by S Allen »

Jorge,

Happy New Year. I guess no one else is giving you an opinion so I wll. :D I would forget the undercoating as POR is as good a sealer as one can get. The undercoating you diligently removed is outdated technology that was used to seal the inside of the body tubs. You do not need it in my own humble opinion. The POR is good enough and actually better than the old undercoating. Cheers.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Post by Guest »

Thaks Steve......I was begining to feel lonely and forgotten! :( I actually had the same idea as you. POR-15 is amazin g, and I have actually put it's "no chipping or peeling" claim to the test with very impressive results. The only reason why I was checking for input is because I wasn't sure if the junk , once gone, would increase road noices (debries, etc.)

Once again Thanks! Now that I am 2 months away from taking the California BAR exam, I don't have much time to play with my baby, but I am proud to say that the engine actually started and roars like a lion eager to be set free! I'll finish the POR and set the body on the frame so I can flat-bed it to the paint booth.....soon you'll the thereal thing in an event!

Jorge
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Undercoating

Post by S Allen »

Yep--that POR is pretty tuff suff. :shock: I think the original tar based stuff was more for waterproofing than sound deadening. I put some sound deadening padding in my floor with the foil face. It is not really necessary and it is probably more of a water trap than it is worth. I cannot wait to see your pride and joy. There is nothing like doing most if not all of the work yourself. -And good luck on the BAR exam.

Steve
Last edited by S Allen on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

doing it your self

Post by SLOroadster »

Rebuilding a roadster is the best way to learn about them. I am still learning with mine. (I spent the last 2 weeks chasing gremlins out of my electrical system, mainly the turn signals and the temp and gas gauges :roll: ) At any rate, it allows you to be able to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it (even if its not your car :) ).

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!