Exhaust manifold from hell

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ponder
Roadster Nut

Post by Ponder »

Let me see if I can find that issue. Maybe if I re-read it, it'll make more sense.

Russell, thanks, I left you a PM
I drank what? -- Socrates
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Email Address

Post by S Allen »

Hey Steve(Ponder) can you look at your profile and make sure you have the correct email address listed. I just got a dameon-mailer error and that usually indicates and email address problem. Thanks.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Ponder
Roadster Nut

Post by Ponder »

Steve,

The e-mail in my profile is my home address. I was at work when I sent the PM to Russell. Would that have caused your error?

Steve
Ponder
Roadster Nut

Post by Ponder »

Okay. I found the article and I must have been hallucinating. :roll: :oops: The MGB article in the Feb 2003 issue of Grassroots Motorsports doesn't say a thing about resonators. They tested three exhaust systems but there was no res. application. Dang. I'm not sure where I read that. Might have to dig some more. I don't think I could have dreamt up the whole thing. But...for the time being, ignore what I just said. Sorry.

Steve
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Email

Post by S Allen »

Yes, that could have done it. Thanks.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Headers

Post by SLOroadster »

I think you can run headers and still stay in the stock catagory. As far as the exhaust system, I am running a set of Jet-Hot coated headers running into a 2 inch pipe with a glass pack and a Supertrapp muffler. It is simple and cheap. The stock exhaust does sound good. The resonator (called a booster in the nissan parts book) is pricy. Did you ever get the manifold out? It was a decent design, but they ALL crack.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
impinhigh
Certified Roadster Nut

manifold

Post by impinhigh »

Slo,
Nope, the manifold is still attached and sitting in the engine bay.. I gave it a good PB bath and work on it ofr a while but, it really rusted in there. As I'm going with a header I guess I'll cut it out later... right now I'm work cleaning up the engine and then reassembly with the new cam. I'll be making a major push over the holidays...I'll keep you all up to date!
Matt
Ponder
Roadster Nut

Post by Ponder »

From the 2003 rulebook:
Any part of the exhaust system beyond (downstream from) the header/manifold or catalytic converter, if so equipped, may be substituted provided the system meets the requirements of 3.5. Stainless steel heat exchangers are permitted only if the physical dimensions and configuration remain unchanged. Modifications of any type, including additions to or removal of, the catalytic converters, thermal reactors, or any other pollution control devices in the exhaust system are not allowed and the system must be operable. Replacement catalytic converters must be OEM if the vehicle has not exceeded the 5-year/50,000 mile warranty period as mandated by the EPA. Converters must be of the same type and size and used in the same location as the original equipment converter(s). This does not allow for a high performance unit. If the vehicle has exceeded the 5 year/50,000 mile warranty period, replacement catalytic converters must be OEM-type as per Section 13.
The first time I read this, I thought "Woohoo I can put a header on it!" seeing as how it says "downstream of the header/manifold". I think I was reading it pretty optimisctically. Maybe I'm being conservative, but I think that would have to be interpretated that if the car came with a manifold, you have to stick with that manifold. You can change anything down stream from the manifold, but not the manifold. Downstream all you have to worry about is the noise level (the paragraph 3.5 reference).