MORE TRANNY PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Post by Guest »

Bucky:

Thanks man...I have the manual, and I found what you refer to. I guess mine doesn't have it, but I was able to figure it out and put the gears in "Neutral". That was exactly the problem, Reverse was engaged, and nothing wanted to move. Once I dissengaged Reverse, everything moves the way it should now! And there is a pin with a spring on the reverse gear(where the rod engages it) that depresses when I shift to reverse allowing reverse to be engaged, but preventing it from engaging by accident ....is that what u were refering to?

Jorge
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

It sure sounds like it.
Bucky
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

George,

Can you please post the picture you mentioned earlier? I believe I made the same mistake.

I having the same problem, I can not rotate the motor unless I remove the drive shaft, which I did and the motor rotate easily.
And I can push the car forward, backward if the clutch pedal is pressed.
I had the gear in neutral position and start up the motor the car jump backward… it seems like the reverse gear locked into reverse,
And I tried pressing the clutch pedal down and start the motor and it start up normally car does not jump forward or backward.

Unable to shift in 3, 4 and reverse gear.

This transmission I’m working on is 4spd.

thanks
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Option 2...I know I have a 4 speed in the shed free for the taking, Just impracticle to ship it. (everyone up this way has a 2000 5 speed)

Someone may have one nearby that's taking up space and would be glad to see it go. Use it in the car, or slide it apart and use it as a 3D service manual.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Hi Dave,

I have a spare one too sitting in my garage, Thanks for the offer.

Lesson learned, always check and double check your work on whatever you do especially putting engine/tranny back together from rebuilt.
I learned my lesson the hard way and I should kick my self from behind for this.
I rebuilt the tranny with new seals and gasket, mated the tranny and engine, installed back into the car without testing it, stupid of me and now come to find out I had the reverse gear locked in reverse. I tried bleeding slave cylinder, that didn’t help. Tried everything I can think of.
any more suggestion?

I read Jorge post and realize I made the same mistake and now I have to remove the engine and tranny out of the car to disengage reverse gear.

Thanks
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Could a person remove the bottom cover to get to the gears and try to un-jam them.. Just a thought... :?: Might be worth trying.. Bill
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

my 5spd was rebuilt in the mid 80's and my dad forgot to take the shifter when he picked uo the tranny and it wont go into 2nd(the shifter wont go into the position).... any ideas why???
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Bill,
I don’t know if that will work but worth a try, which gear should I look for to disengage the reverse?

thanks
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

I would remove the cover on your spare and see what moves when you go thru the gears. If you can see shift forks moving it might be worth looking into the bad one to see if things are moving the same.
Just to let you, it's been a few years (brain cells) ago since I've torn a 4 speed apart.. Bill
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Datsundude (I can't find your name in these postings):

I will put the pics in my webspace, under the folder "Transmission". Go here http://spaces.msn.com/members/68RoadsterResto and check them out. I hope this helps.

Jorge
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

By the way....in the pictures, you will notice the striking rod is engaged on one gear (I believe that one was the reverse), and right underneath it there is another one paralell to it and also engaged (that would be the first gear...or the reverse if I was mistaken before). I pushed slightly the one underneath, and it went in (disengaged), and everything started working fine.

Jorge
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for those pics I really appreciated.
Questions… From your experience, am I able to disengage the gear from the bottom of the tranny if I remove the under cover?
If yes what should I be looking for and please use the pics you posted and point out the gear I should disengage.

I’m trying to avoid removing the motor and tranny out of car to disengage the gear. Is there any other way or easy way to do this?

thanks
Datsun 440
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsun 440 »

Jorge.did you have the large main shaft nut off when you had it apart. I am rebuilding my 5 speed as well.I torqued the main shaft nut to the 120-150 ft lbs it locks up the 5th gear.It locks up at about 80 ft lbs. I found this out after putting it all back together.I think the bushing under the 5 th gear on the main shaft may be worn.

Arnold
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Datsundude:

I added a mini-album to my page, titled "Help for Datsundude" with three pics showing with red arrows which gear needs to be pushed back in to disengage.

Unfortunately, this is something that is accessed by removing the tranny's tail, not through the bottom cover, so I believe th tranny needs to come down, unless you can "trace" the pointed gear end with it's corresponding gear, and try to pull back from the gear itself....if this makes sense to you :?

Arnold: No, the nut was in place and so was everything else but the tail and bottom covers.

Jorge
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Hi Jorge,
Thanks again for those pictures, these pictures should help me a lot. I will use it as a reference.
So I guess there is no other way to disengage the gear except remove the tranny off the car and access through the tranny tail, OK so I will do as you suggested.
I will keep you updated as soon I get the time to work on it. Thank you very much for the advice.