lead additive in gas?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

scott

lead additive in gas?

Post by scott »

Maybe this is a dumb question, but should I be putting lead additive in the tank of a 66' 311? Thanks.
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:To lead or unlead

Post by S Allen »

Scott,

Driven as street cars they run just fine on unleaded gas but higher octane like Premium seems to make 'em even happier. :P I would not waste your time or money adding the so called leaded additives. They are more like snake oil in my own humble opinion. :shock:

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
dat68s
Roadster Fanatic

Unleaded?

Post by dat68s »

Hi Steve,

So am I to take it from this post that you run standard Roadsters on Premium Unleaded? Do you have to worry about premature wear on the value seats? I thought this was the issue? I currently run my 1600 on Lead Replacement Fuel and use octane booster, but would use premium unleaded if it is not going to harm the engine?
Thanks,

Stuart
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:Lead Additives

Post by S Allen »

Stuart,

You are correct in your assumption. There has been a long on going debate as to the damage of running unleaded gas in soft seated valves versus using leaded additives. I have read some interesting thoughts on this and to sum it up. Unless your engine runs at extreme RPMs and extreme temperatures all of the time there is virtually no noticeable affect on soft valve seats. An example of an engine that could be harmed by soft valve seats and unleaded gas would be a that of a dragster. I know they usually use alternate fuels such as alchohol. This is a radical example as I am sure they do not use soft valve seats in those motors and they tend to self destruct more often than not but I think you get my point. :shock: If you still do not feel comfortable running unleaded in the Roadster the next time you have a valve job done on the head have them put hardened valve seats in. I have run my roadsters with unleaded Premium Chevron with the Techron additive already in it. Techron is a cleaning agent. I have not experienced a valve seat failure to date. --And I drive the snot out of my cars. :lol: Hope I made just a bit of sense.

Cheers.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
dat68s
Roadster Fanatic

unleaded here we come...

Post by dat68s »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info and it made perfect sense, and the beauty as I see it is Premium Unleaded here is cheaper than the lead replacement fuel that replaced "Super" and it has a higher Octane Rating :shock: Thanks again!

Stuart