Hardtop Project

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Hardtop Project

Post by FergO2k »

Much more inherent stiffness in a hardtop than soft top, so 2 clips will be fine, it doesn't want to become (aka: can't become) a parachute like a soft-top.
I have seen several hardtops running with only the side clips bound up nice and firm, no front clips at all.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

onsight512 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:14 pm Since there's been so much talk about different hardtops in this thread, I'm going to ask this here.

Does anyone know if a Smoothline hardtop, for a high windshield car, only has two attachment points to the windshield? I have one local to me that's for sale. It fits on the car, but there are only two "j-bolts" on either side of the top. I know the car normally has one in the middle also.
I don't think the Smoothline hardtops come with any OEM mounting hardware. I would contact Shannon "sfdaugherty" as he has personal experience with these tops:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p242092

That being said, a high windshield top has three windshield attachment points, and I would use all three, not two.
The "j" bolts are for the side mounts, where normally the soft top frame would mount.

Pics from jhayden's high windshield:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
RussellC
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by RussellC »

I think there is a bit of confusion regarding the smoothline hard tops.
The one I own is a new smoothline top not yet painted for installation. I can confirm that it comes with the J hooks for the sides as well as the same type of J hook for the left front and right front receivers on the high windshield. Shannon let me know that he modified his smoothline, as seen in Alvin's pictures, to use the OEM hardware by welding them on. I would like to do the same but don't have the skills required ;)
Russell

Got her running, now need to do everything else...
1968 1600 "Custom" driver/project car
2018 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

RussellC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:11 pm I think there is a bit of confusion regarding the smoothline hard tops.
The one I own is a new smoothline top not yet painted for installation. I can confirm that it comes with the J hooks for the sides as well as the same type of J hook for the left front and right front receivers on the high windshield. Shannon let me know that he modified his smoothline, as seen in Alvin's pictures, to use the OEM hardware by welding them on. I would like to do the same but don't have the skills required ;)
Yeah, count me in as confused. Maybe there should be a separate thread dedicated to Smoothline tops. To clarify, if you have a Smoothline top, you don't have to use OEM top latches to mate with the windshield receivers?
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

It would be nice if we had a separate thread for each type of top. They are all so different.
Michael Montez
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Absolutely gutted. Dropped my hardtop onto the garage floor on Thursday night.

Here's what happened.
Was getting ready for a cold, wet Friday am drive to visit Edmark up in S.F. to check out his roadsters. Asked my little brother to help me unbag and lift the hardtop off the carrier to the roadster. In the midst of resting the top back onto the carrier after the cover was removed it slipped, kicked out the carrier beneath and landed paint-side down on the epoxied garage floor.

Beyond dying inside. I collected myself and we lifted it right-side up and onto the roadster to assess the damage. It was worse than I thought.

Deep scratches and bits embedded over rear window's edge:

But wait...it gets even better!
I noticed that the rear window seal looks a bit off, like the bottom part of the glass is not seated within the weatherstrip...so I'm pushing on it to get the glass to sit inside strip...push harder, a little bit more...POP! whole glass comes out and lands inside car. Thankfully glass did not break,

I was so defeated that I bailed on Edmark. I had to sort out the top. I thought about using some ScratchX to get rid of the scuff marks. Dragging a fingernail revealed some mighty deep cuts and shards of stuff. Going out for a drive now. Every time I think about the top I get upset.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
sfdaugherty

Post by sfdaugherty »

I’m so sorry Alvin. It will be beautiful again!

Shannon
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Restoration underway)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

While that really sucks Alvin, I remember that the top wasn’t so pretty when you got it and I’m sure you’ll return it to its former glory.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

That is too bad, but look at it this way: Is it really any more than two trips to the body shop?
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

I have been amazed several times what a good wet sand and buffing can accomplish. Doesn't hurt to try. I know one thing after you do it, it won't look nearly as bad, maybe even good.
Michael Montez
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Was really sad to see this Alvin. Yours is the only top (type I guess, but in general) that I like on the car. As others said, take a breath (or 5), see what your car contacts suggest for repair, and know that it will be. I recently scratched the crap out of the rear fender edge on my car when the garbage can lid slipped out of my hands and dragged itself across the car. Some medium buffing compound followed by swirl remover followed by the new Turtle Wax ceramic hybrid wax I'm using and they were gone. Perhaps not as deep as some of yours, but I'm sure careful work and maybe some well blended touch up paint will do wonders. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll post before and after pics!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

That's a big oof, Alvin! I cringed when I saw those photos.

I'm sure with a little work it will be good as new.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Went for that drive to cool off.

Took hardtop to shop on Monday to have it checked out. Same guy who painted it in 2008.
He wasn't sure if it needed to a full repaint or not. In addition to the scratches and embedded junk, there was also a dent somewhere near the window edge from the impact. He also asked me what paint code black it was, before asking me if he painted it :lol:
Man, it's been almost 14 years!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

14 years of handling and on/offs! You did well.
Just my opinion, but black, red, and white are the easiest to fair in, wet sand and polish an area into the surroundings.

That cool down picture lines the windshield and rollbar with the curb, and brick line with the door top, good eye there.
Upsetting, but easily rectified.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

FergO2k wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:17 pm 14 years of handling and on/offs! You did well.
Just my opinion, but black, red, and white are the easiest to fair in, wet sand and polish an area into the surroundings.

That cool down picture lines the windshield and rollbar with the curb, and brick line with the door top, good eye there.
Upsetting, but easily rectified.
Thanks Ferg, when you put it that way I don't feel as bad. I can live with a user error once every 14 years :D
I'm not going to worry about the top until January. Will update then.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread