Hardtop Project

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

If you are planning to use upholstry on the inside, do that last.

Mark
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
FergO2k

nice look, modern material

Post by FergO2k »

nice look Alvin, very period fitting.
use something man-made for the headliner, they are less susceptible to soaking up moisture. Any sort of headlining matl will soak up sound, I wouldn't go with just paint unless the rollbar fit is real tight.
If possible, glue the ends of the weatherstripping together when installed. (Sanford rubber cement at Staples)
this are is prone to getting "very hard to get to" moisture/mold right at the joint, even from just humidity cycling in storage.

Good idea with the eye-bolt. the two I have seen were done that way. Eric H's hi-screen hardtop had bolts bent into a J, so they were like a hook. Marine stores have nice stainless turnbuckles as well.

Let me know if the 3M tape isn't up to constant chafe. We have 1" and 2" teflon tape at work that is $17 bucks a roll, but I think I know where a roll or two could be "appropriated for long term field research". It doesn't do anything to paint, even if left on for extended periods.
EScanlon

Post by EScanlon »

datsunrides wrote:If you are planning to use upholstry on the inside, do that last.

Mark
I concur. Masking upholstery to avoid overspray, dust and other stuff from the outside finish is going to be harder than to pad a pair of sawhorses and protect the exterior.

Additionally, on the hard top to body gasket, you might want to look into using two of the soft seals bonded together before you bond to the lower edge of the hard top. The tops I've got both had an extended and thick cushioned gasket. One of them will actually have to be fabricated from 3 different profiles to come close to the original (which was also made with 3 different profiles). Unfortunately, finding the original profiles is what makes it difficult.

I found that RV repair shops have access to a HUGE variety of different soft closed cell weatherstripping in rolls. Talk to the parts guy and he might allow you into the backroom so you can select the best profile(s) to do the job you want.

Window seal weatherstripping is still readily available and JCW is an excellent source.

Don't forget to buy a Soft Top Weatherstrip Seal for the front bow for use with the front edge of your hard top.

FWIW
E
EScanlon

JCW Weatherstripping

Post by EScanlon »

Take a look at this link:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Trim-Universal ... 003824.jcw

Items 2 and 3 have various different profiles that you can combine to form a wider footprint weatherstrip.

E
RHAYWARD

Post by RHAYWARD »

where can you find wheather stripping for the hard tops..i checked most of the online parts last night but none mention hard top weathers
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Ordered all of the weatherstripping from JC Whitney, except for the header.
In preparation for paint I removed the chrome trim, and like Wade mentioned it is a friction grab setup. It was stuck on pretty good but I just used a flat blade to pry it off.
I measured the piece to be ~9ft so the new trim for JC whitney should leave me with more than enough!
I'll post pics tonight
Thanks again Wade!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
ole skool

Post by ole skool »

No problem, let me know if you need anything else. Really makes the car look nice, and looks sharp in black! Always glad to help Alvin!

Wade
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Marine supply stores have this cool non-woven cloth-like stuff, http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=623

It is very moisture resistant.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Thanks for the tip Dave, I'm not there yet but I'm debating cloth/alcantara/vinyl for the headliner.

Just like Wade mentioned, here are pics of the chrome trim coming off:

I decided that I'm not going to play with prep/paint so I dropped the top off at Williams to work his magic...it will be PPG black.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
RHAYWARD

Post by RHAYWARD »

good info here ill retun to read up..i too wan to run amy hard top..its white with the goose feather deatil on the outside..alvin ur cars looks great
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

hey guys I am ready to re-install the weatherstripping/windows.

What adhesive should I use?

While I have the glass out, anything I can use on it to make crystal clear?
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Alvin,

I assume your hard top windows are some sort of plexi-glass. Do a google search for Lexan polish. I use a 3M product and it works wonders!

Michael
spriso.motorsports
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Michael,
Actually it's real glass(yikes!), I did a quick Windex wipe down when I first got the top but I'm sure I can do a better job.

Also, I am following Wade's suggestion of Dynamat/headliner.
I've never used this stuff, is there a special adhesive for it?

For the headliner I'll use 3M spray-on adhesive.

Headliner color: I was set on a light-grayish color now I'm thinking black. I have a red interior/black carpets, silver rol-bar. Any thoughts?
Here are my choices(thanks to wade for link):
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/cut-yardag ... -p-17.html
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Alvin,
You can get headliner material from the local fabric store. Find the biggest one you can locally and they will have cloth headliner material, vinyl, leather whatever you were thinking of using. They will not have as many colors as the online place but the advantage is you will be able to see samples in person, even buy 1/4 yard as a swatch for comparison to your car.

Lots of women in there and I am sure they will be glad to help you :)

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

Alvin wrote:hey guys I am ready to re-install the weatherstripping/windows.

What adhesive should I use?

3M makes an excellent weatherstripping adhesive. Comes in black or yellow. Most parts stores have it.

Check out Eastwood. They make a glass polishing kit that works very well on lightly scratched glass. another option would be to go and have a new piece cut. Flat glass (if that's what you have) is not too expensive.

Mark
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)