electric fan on a 2L

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

electric fan on a 2L

Post by SLOroadster »

Is anyone running an electric fan on their 2L? I'm thinking it might free up a few more Hp :) . If anyone is, where did you get it and how much was it?

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Plasmaboy

thermo fan

Post by Plasmaboy »

Hi SLRoadster , I use a 14" fan that covers the whole radiator and an electric water pump .. no over heating issues so far even in the hot Sydney summer weather
oilleak

Post by oilleak »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2441891371
This is the same fan from the same seller that I put on my car. Works pretty well and doesn't cause any issues with water pump clearance as long as it's mounted slightly to the right. I had to drill a couple of holes in the sheet metal on the side of the radiator to mount it on the right side and had to fab a mount on the left from a 3-4 inch long peice of flat stock. It's pretty easy.
Jeremy

electric fran on 2L

Post by Jeremy »

So for the folks that put an electric fan. Did it free up much HP? How noticable was it?
oilleak

Post by oilleak »

Not noticable by the seat of the pants - it's much quieter and now there's no worry about the fan trying to pull the water pump apart at high rpm. Should get more life out of the water pump.
TR

Post by TR »

The unit on my car is so quiet that I wanted an indicator that it was on! I ended up routing the power to it through the alt gauge (since the alternator was too much for the gauge and concerns for fire, I didn't route the car power through the gauge), so now I know when it is on. It is a blessing compared to the fixed 7 blade noise. For those of you that remember Quadraphenia, "Is that your mum's hairdryer in there?" is not the feeling I get when driving...TR