San Antonio Area Get Together

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RonDay
Roadster Nut

San Antonio Area Get Together

Post by RonDay »

Phil Hall, from Huntsville, AL, is going to be in SA next week for a conference, so some of us have decided to get together for dinner on Thursday evening, September 27th, at the El Chapparal Restaurant in Beorne, just off of I-10 at Hwy 46, about 35 miles north of SA.

Right now the group includes Phil, me and my wife, Elayne, Marc Tyler and his wife Heidi, Pat and Donetta Horne, Tom Walter, and possibly Corky Bell. For the younger folks, Corky raced Roadsters back in the day in regional and national SCCA events and now owns Bell Engineering Group, based in Spring Branch, TX. He's an authority on turbo charging, particularly Miatas, and a wealth of info on Roadsters and sports cars in general.

The food is, IMO, the best Tex-Mex around, and I expect the company and conversations to be very enjoyable as well. If anyone would like to join us, please let me know, not later than Monday, the 24th, so I can give the restaurant an accurate head count. Email me at (ronnie.day@gmail.com).

Ron
Ronnie Day

'70 2000 plus a couple of 510s
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

If I could be there, I would. Phil is a great guy. Say hi for me!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

+1 for Dan Zubkoff

Will be driving the roadster from Katy, Texas.
Dan
Houston, TX
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Sounds like fun in San Antonio. Tom Walters is a Datsun guru and wrote many excellent posts that I remember from the other List.

When is the Phil Hall Datsun Party Tour coming to LA?

Linda :D
68 1600
Maggie

Sounds like fun

Post by Maggie »

Wow, I wish I could go. I'm not sure my little car will make it. It's running pretty good but I don't trust it yet. From Brownsville to San Antonio is about a 5 hour drive.

Dan, I'd love to see your car in person!

Maggie
RonDay
Roadster Nut

Re: Sounds like fun

Post by RonDay »

Maggie wrote:Wow, I wish I could go. I'm not sure my little car will make it. It's running pretty good but I don't trust it yet. From Brownsville to San Antonio is about a 5 hour drive.

Dan, I'd love to see your car in person!

Maggie
If you have a daily driver, come on up anyway. I doubt I'll be driving my 2000. It still needs way too much work for me to be willing to tackle the drive from Temple/Cameron down to SA and back, and I doubt Marc, Pat or Tom will have Roadsters.

It'll be great to see you, Dan, and I know Corky will get a huge kick out of seeing a running roadster. He told me some time back he hasn't seen one in so long, he really had no idea how long it had been.

I'm calling the restaurant tomorrow to see the max number they can handle in Beorne. We may need to shift the evening to their original location closer in to SA. It's on Bandara Rd. (Hwy 16) about 10 minutes north of Loop 1604.

Spread the word,
Ron
Ronnie Day

Maggie

Post by Maggie »

I do have a daily driver but it is a gas hog. I drive a 4 door dodge truck. I'm having a friend of mine go over the roadster as see what he thinks about driving it to San Antonio. I'm just afraid to end up stranded alone, especially in the King Ranch area (no cell phone signals).

Maggie
datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

Ronnie,

Thanks for setting up dinner! It was great meeting everyone!

Marc, your L320 pickup is amazing.

Just got home a little bit ago...Smooth ride all the way back home. 450 Miles in a roadster in one evening :)
Dan
Houston, TX
RonDay
Roadster Nut

Post by RonDay »

datsun65 wrote:Ronnie,

Thanks for setting up dinner! It was great meeting everyone!

Marc, your L320 pickup is amazing.

Just got home a little bit ago...Smooth ride all the way back home. 450 Miles in a roadster in one evening :)
Dan, you're an ironman, and probably a little crazy, too! ;>)

Yes, it was a fun evening and we're already bouncing ideas around for future activities. With people so spread out here I'd like to see something centrally located, so we could get more people from DFW, SA and over your direction to participate, and include interested 510 and Z owners, too.

Great seeing you and glad you made it home okay,
Ron
Ronnie Day

datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

I didn't write down the gasoline usage...But I was averaging over 30MPG.

Only used about 6.5 Gallons from Katy all the way to the restaurant.

Driving the roadster home in the lone, pitch black early hours in the morning was wild. Will need to upgrade the headlights to some good halogens soon.

The other learning from this trip....I never knew there were so many bugs in existence. Think I'll need a chisel to clean the roadster off!
Dan
Houston, TX
RonDay
Roadster Nut

San Antonio Area Gathering

Post by RonDay »

Here's a link http://homepage.mac.com/rond510/PhotoAlbum1.html to a few pics from Thursday night.
Ronnie Day