GM Alternator Question

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

GM Alternator Question

Post by DatsunBucky »

I have come up with another question that I’m sure one or more of you can help me with.

Imagine, if you will, a clean slate with the 67.5 wiring. So clean, in fact, that there is no wiring harness. Neither under the dash (oh yeah, no dashboard, either) nor in the engine compartment. I want to use the GM single wire alternator (there are several reasons), but I’m not real sure about the hookup. I’ve read the tech article on this site that deals with the installation, but I just want to make sure I understand all this before I start buying parts, pieces and wire.

The physical installation is pretty straightforward. It’s the electrical part I’m not exactly sure of.

One 10ga (or heavier) wire goes from the alternator ground to frame ground. So far so good. Then another 10ga wire goes from the alternator plug, terminal #2, directly to the battery and terminal #1 is cut off. Right so far? With the battery relocated, do I have to run the wire actually all the way back to the battery or can I connect it up with the battery cable where the cable is extended to? I plan to run the battery cable from the relocated battery to near the firewall, where it will connect with the cable from the starter, making it easier to remove the starter/engine.

And the voltage gauge would go between the battery and ground, via a fuse block switched on with the ignition? What amp fuse would be appropriate? 5 amps? 2.5? 7.5? 20?

The fusible link part with the starter is understood, but I’m not quite that far along yet.

Thanks in advance for any help that's posted here. You guys (and gals if appropriate) are great!
Bucky
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:GM Alternator

Post by S Allen »

Bucky,

Yes, you have it right. On the race car the battery is in the trunk. I ran the wire from the single wire alternator all the way back to the battery with a 10 GA wire. I am trying to think of why you could not just run it to the postive connection on the starter or your connection at the firewall--and I really cannot come up with a reason why you could not. It should work.

As to the volt meter it really should not matter what size of a fuse you use. The volt meter is simply measuring voltage. The positive connection on the voltmeter is run to the fuse block and the negative is run to ground.

I would not worry about the fusible link as that is just in there to protect the old wiring system. --which by the sounds of it you will no longer have.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth