Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

OK, stupid questions of the day:
Exactly what is bead blasting? Where do you go to have it done and what is approx cost? Is there surface prep required after the part has been done?
Also can the drums be powdercoated or is that not a good idea because that involves some "baking"? I saw some powdercoating paint at HarborFreight and wondered if that can be done at home or not. Anyone try it?

Linda
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

OK, stupid questions of the day:
Exactly what is bead blasting? Where do you go to have it done and what is approx cost? Is there surface prep required after the part has been done?
Also can the drums be powdercoated or is that not a good idea because that involves some "baking"? I saw some powdercoating paint at HarborFreight and wondered if that can be done at home or not. Anyone try it?
Bead blasting is like sand blasting but instead of using sand they use plastic beads. On softer metals like aluminum it's preferred as it is less abrasive and will not cause as much damage to the aluminum. Any place that does sand blasting will either do bead blasting or will be able to steer you to someone locally who does. Cost is a bit higher than sand blasting because the plastic beads cost more than the sand. Post blasting surface prep all depends upon what your end goals are but in general if you are looking to paint, no, you should not need to do anything post blasting and pre painting. If a clear coated polished aluminum look is what you are after then I would say that you will probably need to take the post blasted part and start polishing with a buffer to get that mirror finish.

Yes, brake drums can be powder coated. See my previous post and picture. Mine came out great. The process involves baking at about 350* F. That is a lower temp than the drums will see during a panic stop and unlike braking which heats the drums up unevenly, the powder coating process will evenly bake and cool them. It will not damage your drums!

Home kits are, well, home kits. Better have a junker oven out in the shop to use. I'd never want to use my kitchen oven for baking that nasty toxic stuff! Personally, I'd let the pros handle it. I paid $60 to have a nasty crusty set of drums bead blasted and coated.
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

[quote="Victor_laury]I can't imagine polishing a brake drum! They are a pretty rough casting. Lot's of grinding to get a flat surface - Oh - and those fins! - not fun[/quote]
Not the best picture but....
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread