Datsun Racing at California Speedway

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Hey Alvin, thanks....

In the "hairpin" turn I actually shift down to first gear. I have a roadster ultraclose transmission, so first gear is between second and third gear on a standard roadster transmission. As you could see with the 4.37's it is still tough to get off the line because first is geared so high. Fifth is the same in all the overdrive transmissions. So first through 5th are extremely close together. It makes for good power coming off a turn. RPM's run about 3500 to 7200 on the infield depending on the gear and location. Some spots are a little lower than that. Coming off the banking I am probably down to around 2200 RPM.

Alvin, to answer your question I am in second and third through most of the infield with one section where I get down to first, then through the chicane second, third and then 4th just as I go under the bridge backdown into second. I hit fifth just after the start finish line and run it all the way up to the rev limiter in 5th just before I hit the brakes to go back onto the infield. It is a trip to be going 130+ around a turn on the banking. The G forces are intense.

I ran my 4.88's at Phoenix and wow, that was outrageous. Talk about close spacing of the gears. On the gas coming onto the banking I was banging through the gears into fifth really quickly. I was shifting as fast as possible...

A guy in a Sunbeam Alpine came over to me after our race at Phoenix and said that he thought I was going to flip the car over on it's back going through the gears on the banking as the front of the car came up every time I hit a gear.

My car has good power, now I need better handling and braking. I am looking for a better swaybar and front spring set up. Any ideas?
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
avidtest

Post by avidtest »

That is so cool.

Shannon
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Come on Shannon come out and play with us. Let's find you a roadster race car and have some fun!!

I know you want to!

lol

Ron
A race car since new!

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Come on Shannon come out and play with us. Let's find you a roadster race car and have some fun!!
I know you want to!
lol
Ron
Ron,
Everybody wants to...that's why they have the perfectly named event:
http://www.themitty.com/
:)

Linda
avidtest

Post by avidtest »

Well, that's true. I'm sure I'll be getting into racing of some sort. And your write-ups and videos are hastening that timeline Ron!

For the time being though, I need to get more experience under my belt, so I'm going to focus on autox's for a while just to get the hang of the new p-car, which, w/ the rear engine, has some pretty unique driving characteristics. When the time comes to race though, I don't think I'll put this particular car at risk.

So, the question is, what kind of car will it be? I know your roadster is leaps and bounds above my roadster, but I still have trouble imagining going crazy fast in a roadster, and may opt for something a bit more modern; Mazda miata, Mitsu Evo IV, Subie WRX STi, or even an older BMW M3, 911 or 914 (not so modern I know, but the 914's were eating up the track at the last autox).

Either way, I've probably got a good year of autox's and then some DE's to do before I go for any full-blown racing - even if it is 'gentlemans racing'. :wink:

Shannon
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

RC240z wrote:Alvin it would be great to see you. I Hope you can make it. There will be two roadsters out there. Mine and Tim Arnett's.

I will shoot for your baseline of 2.04, that is a very respectable time for a Roadster in street trim. I think my car can do a 1.55 or so, with race tires and lower gearing. I am hopeful I can get down close to that number. We will see.
Ran a 1:52 in the Z at 'Seca today. Stock tires. Incredible car!
http://rides.webshots.com/album/558303035IOKEbz

Ron watch that BRE header in the corkscrew...you'll smash it on the droo-off!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Good time in the Z Alvin!! So I have to put down a faster time than a 1:52. Hmm, we will see what we can do. I heard that the corkscrew is bumpy now that they have repaved...what was your take?

I will see about making some adjustments for the header. I have to put on my other exhaust collector with a muffler anyway for noise abatement.

Are you going to be able to make it on the 3rd?

best,

Ron
Last edited by RC240z on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A race car since new!

Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Doesn't matter on the re-pave, it's th elevation change and how aggressive you want to be...just be careful! I'll post pics later.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Anyone now the admission price for the Laguna Seca event? I looked on the web site but didn't find anything. I am planning on running down to watch.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Here's a link that I think is correct;
http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/laguna_seca.htm

Great time of year for camping.

Linda
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Alvin, thanks for your tip, I will be careful. I recall driving there with a Formula Ford which is reall low too...I rub my collector at a few other tracks so I will be careful.

Slo, thanks for making the effort. You can contact HMSA, I dont know if there is a charge for the track day. I kind of doubt it. You can contact: HMSA@HMSAUSA.com

Linda, are you going to make it out to see us go?
A race car since new!

Alvin

Post by Alvin »

My friend lives about 2minutes away from the track. There is NO CHARGE for club racing events.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Ron,
Have to be in Sacramento on the 4th- 6th so it's going to be a short week for work here. Would love to come out sooner or later, maybe when you race in So Cal we can get a group out to see the trophy race.
In the mean time keep those videos coming!
In your last one I liked that thumbs up to the pit crew or whoever that was..

Linda.
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

thanks Linda, I will post the dates when I am out next. Should be June time frame.

We do give the track volunteers the thumbs up before and after every run. One to say we are okay to go the other to thank them for being there. They are the people you have to trust to watch out for you and the fellow racers. Their job is a thankless one, and we appreciate what they do for us.

Ron
A race car since new!

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I'll be there. What time are you running? I'm bringing both cameras, digital and film (with a big lens)

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!