Headlight question

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Datsa 66

Headlight question

Post by Datsa 66 »

Today we noticed that one of the headlights isn't working. The front turn signals work, but the passenger headlight doesn't. From what I remember, it was working when we picked her up.

We are going to try to troubleshoot, but are there any suggestions on what we should look for? Also, we will use a voltage meter and if any tips are available, we could sure use them.

Thanks lots.

Enjoy the ride.

Have a great day.

Shari
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Read this first, http://www.311s.org/tech/electrical/headlight.html

Wire diagram here http://www.311s.org/tech/electrical/wiring.html
If high and low beam do not work, look for a bad ground. If one works and the other doesn't, pull out the headlight and remove the connector. If you have a spare headlight, just plug it in and test, hopefully it will work and it was just a burned out headlight and you are done

If that doesn't work, or you don't have a spare headlight, start testing A test light is faster, but a meter works too. Ground the black lead of the meter, set to DC volts and put the positive lead to the battery, should read ~12 volts, this confirms the meter is grounded. Now start at the headlight plug. One term should read steady 0 volts on high or low, this would be ground. The others 2 should read battery voltage (~12volts) 1 on highbeam, the other on low. If you get these readings, sealed beam is most likley bad. three terminals, |_| I think the parallel blades are the positive high and low | | and the perpendicular in ground _
You can work your way back up the circuit until you see voltage. PM me if you need "live help"

If it's wired like my 69, there is a cheesy little brass clip in the wire harness where the wire splits to go to left and right headlights it is under the tape.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit